Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special custom tank

Options
  • 24-05-2012 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

This query might look strange, but imagine you wanted to build a tank of 25m long X 0.80m deep and 2m wide.

I would only need one side to be glass......... who would you asked to build it in Ireland ?

Sebastien

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Seahorse Aquariums.

They've built tanks for a few guys on this forum and are effectively the "go to" place for anything fish related in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

25 *metres*?!

Whoever you get to build it: we need pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

It just for a crazy project of mine......

I need someone who can provide than length of glass like an aquarium to see swimmers passing through for biomechanic and video analysis purpose.

Sebastien

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

locteau wrote: »
    It just for a crazy project of mine......

I need someone who can provide than length of glass like an aquarium to see swimmers passing through for biomechanic and video analysis purpose.

Sebastien
    You'd probably be as well with, say, a 3m tank and an endless pool set up. It'd give you the view you need without the logistics and cost of trying to sort out glass 25m long.

Endless pool will never be the same, and we will not do for what I am looking, I have a specific requirement for what I intend to do.

Anyway, I am not looking for a deviation of the project, the only criteria is to build a 25m glass like they do in aquarium or custom pool abroad.

In the ones I saw in Portugal the glass is in about 3/4 pieces.

Thanks if you can give me any contact number.

Sebastien

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Most public aquariums use acrylic for large tanks. No aquatics shop will be able to get that built, I'd say. Even if Seahorse could i'd hate to see the price tag from them.

Your best bet is to ring the SeaLife Centre in Bray and find out who does their aquariums and get a contact number from them. Their tanks are all acrlic as far as I remember.

Thanks for that..... I needed a starting point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Nothing wrong with Seahorse Aquariams.

They know how to build a tank,trust me.;):D

Go to Seahorse and ask to speak to Keelan,hes the main man there(world leading professional marine bioligist) and he will give you very honest advice.

They just finished off building a 10,000 litre tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

They know how to charge for a tank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    They know how to charge for a tank.

Eh,anything custom made will be costing you more than the norm (regardless of where you go).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Anybody else think this is just ugly?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

paddy147 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Seahorse Aquariams.

They know how to build a tank,trust me.;):D

Go to Seahorse and ask to speak to Keelan,hes the main man there(world leading professional marine bioligist) and he will give you very honest advice.

They just finished off building a 10,000 litre tank.

10,000? Not the one in the picture surely? I would think that would be room sized!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Degsy wrote: »
    Anybody else think this is just ugly?

Looks very un-natural!

Advertisement