Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short sleeved shirts

• 24-05-2012 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭

I was over for the Heineken cup last weekend with a big group of lads and one evening one of the lads arrived down with a short sleeved shirt. The abuse and slagging he got was unreal. Not sure if it was just a reason to slag him or if they were genuinely slagging him about the shirt.

I own a couple and I'm actually wearing one now which is great on a day like today but have been thinking since the weekend that maybe I'm waaaaay out of fashion.

What are people's opinions on these?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

I suppose it depends on the sort of shirt. Some colours or designs can be more fashionable than others, but the shirt itself...

awec wrote: »
    Massive no from me. I really don't like them.

are going to Spain with you long sleeve shirt? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Can't comment on the fashion aspect ..........BUT

I always were long sleeves ESPECIALLY in sunny weather.

I've had a few skin problems and always read stuff written by dermatologists in the papers/web etc.

To summarise what they ALL say: the sun causes skin damage, there is no such thing as a healthy tan, cover up and use protection.

Boring, but VERY true.

(Also re short sleeves - I'm fascinated that some guys go around with short sleeved t-shirts in deepest Winter! Prefer an overcoat, scarf and gloves myself :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Depends on the shirt.

I hate short sleeved formal shirts.. a la:
    short-sleeve-shirt.jpg

But quite like casual short sleeved shirts like these:
    51jKRw2f7iL._SX280_.jpg836-759-X49s.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Was he wearing one of them 'loud' Hawaiian ones and got slagged for that? I've several and wear them regularly, but they are all just plain single colours or with a simple stripe and never been slagged about them, mind you wouldnt wear them with a tie, just smart casual

In fact, I prefer them over long sleeved ones, as I tend to roll the sleeves up on the long sleeved ones anyway :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Short sleeves and a tie - an absolute no-no for me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Agree, unless you're a guard, a prison warden or fast food manager

Smart cas is fine by me.
    Must dig out my hawaain shirt for this weekend - woo hoo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

lol short sleve shirt, only bar men wear them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

I prefer long sleeves rolled up to the elbow if it's really sunny/warm.

Don't own many shirts but they are all long sleeved and I do the same, roll the sleevsles to the elbow :)

Same thing as wearing short sleeved shirt (kinda) but I'd just feel wrong wearing it.

And def no tie with short sleeved shirt!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Awful things, don't wear them for the sake of yourself and others, they just don't work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Only when I am going for CIA station chief look, my other look is fat mafia guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Short sleeves and a tie - an absolute no-no for me every man! :eek:

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

depends on the shirt tbh, casual ones yeah formal ones no, would just roll up the sleeves. long as you dont tuck them in :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    lol short sleve shirt, only bar men wear them!!!

I'd rather have wet cuffs tbh ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

As others said, I wear short sleeve shirts regeluraly, especially when heading out for a few drinks. But I would never wear a short sleeve shirt to work or wear a tie with one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I can never justify wearing them tbh. A long sleeved shirt, sleeves rolled up looks way better in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ChtuluDawn

I own loads of short sleeve shirts,all smart casual.I wouldnt wear one to work but for normal day to day wear,summer nights out etc,I find them very comfortable,particularly in weather like we have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Only Michael Douglas in Falling Down can pull off a short sleeve shirt and tie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Oh a mate of mine wears the same short sleee shirt / t-shirt combo almost every weekend.

He got lucky a few times wearing it and thinks he's the shít now :rolleyes:

Must admit I used to wear them out the whole time too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

cutty9 post deleted,
    If you can't contribute a positive post to this forum then don't bother posting in here at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hate short sleeved shirts. They look... I dunno... awkward.... Maybe not the right word to use. They look horrendous on me. I don't even like wearing long sleeved shirts as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I wear them all the time like the detective Andy Sipowicz from NYPD blue. Legend.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Hate short sleeved shirts. They look... I dunno... awkward.... Maybe not the right word to use. They look horrendous on me. I don't even like wearing long sleeved shirts as it is.

depends on the type of sleeves on the short ones too for me, hate baggy shirts, cant wear them feel ridiculous, tailored or fitted ones look grand though

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Knex. wrote: »
    I can never justify wearing them tbh. A long sleeved shirt, sleeves rolled up looks way better in my opinion.

exactly what i have on now. HATE Short sleeved shirts

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

but sipowicz does it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I think they can look alright if worn open with a graphic t-shirt underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I like the aul short sleeved shirts. They breath better than t-shirts so they're better for the hot weather.

Shame on all the haters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

It depends on the shirt. I don't generally buy short sleeve checkered shirts but really does depend. On a night out, its a no go, but on a day to day basis I think they're fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

18AD wrote: »
    I like the aul short sleeved shirts. They breath better than t-shirts so they're better for the hot weather.

Shame on all the haters.

Do you have pens in the pocket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Do you have pens in the pocket?

If you want me to.

:rolleyes:

If you are going to wear a short sleeve shirt at the very least you should have arms to fill the sleeves. Nothing worse than the sleeves being big enough that you could fit your arm into it twice!

Thin guys can't pull them off at all IMO.

*flexes guns*

They're defo hard to pull off. Harry Styles of 1 Direction pulls em off in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Shít, wearing one now :(. Just a check casual one though, buttons open, is that considered naf? The sun made me do it dammit, THE SUN!!! Was considering wearing a white long sleeve shirt under it so there's some sleeves, in case it gets chilly in the evening, is there a resounding no to this as well?

1328806690929_6128436.png

this, bad:

tumblr_lijirmPWa31qznobbo1_500.jpg

casual, summer type ones are fine though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I like them but they should definitely not be woren with a tie. They should only be used with an open neck and in warm weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Unless I'm wearing a dress shirt then it's always left unbuttoned with a t-shirt underneath. if long sleeved then I roll 'em up but there's nothing wrong with a casual short sleeved shirt either.

krudler wrote: »
    this, bad:

tumblr_lijirmPWa31qznobbo1_500.jpg

casual, summer type ones are fine though

that's horrible, and the tie makes it even worse

• Advertisement

the only people i could see wearing that type of shirt thought are like the dude who had the rant on the frontline a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

langdang wrote: »
    Agree, unless you're a guard, a prison warden or fast food manager
    or Homer Simpson.

blog+home+short+sleeve.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. I hate long sleeved shirts; sleeves were always too short, or collar to big.

Have a few black short sleeved shirts. Have worn them into work, and going out drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

EdenHazard wrote: »
    the only people i could see wearing that type of shirt thought are like the dude who had the rant on the frontline a few years back
    I just picture him too when I see a short sleeved shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Terrible

Hahahahaha, point proven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

doncarlos wrote: »
    I was over for the Heineken cup last weekend with a big group of lads and one evening one of the lads arrived down with a short sleeved shirt. The abuse and slagging he got was unreal. Not sure if it was just a reason to slag him or if they were genuinely slagging him about the shirt.

I own a couple and I'm actually wearing one now which is great on a day like today but have been thinking since the weekend that maybe I'm waaaaay out of fashion.

What are people's opinions on these?

If you're pissing people off theres a chance you're doing something right. Confidence in what you're wearing will make a man look well despite what he's wearing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

snafuk35 wrote: »
    Who cares?
    Obviously not you. That's why, like a normal person, you kept your opinion, or lack of one, to yourself. I mean, only someone craving attention would voice an opinion on something they have no views on...
    oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Depends on the shirt. Some short sleeved shirts that are made for casual wear have like buttons or tabs on the end of the sleeve, and have kind of tight arms on them. The slim fitted ones are everywhere. Plain short sleeved shirts look kinda sh1tty alright

• Advertisement
Advertisement