Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Heroes

Options
  • 24-05-2012 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

I think we're going to need a new forum called "Games that are a bit like Diablo".

The latest one is Marvel Heroes. Although it's hailed as an MMO, I thought it fit in this forum because from what has been shown so far, it seems to be more like a co-op game than anything else.

There's not a whole lot of info yet, but from the trailer below and from waht they've said, it seems to be Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 in all but name, which is f*cking awesome news if true!

There's a bit of blurb here from Rock Paper Shotgun, and I'll try to find more.

Anyone else excited about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this, Squirrel Girl FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well I loved M:UA1 but the second was a disappointment. Game looks good, for what is shown anyways. One of the things that could drag it down is, as the RPS article mentioned, everyone going Wolverine or Iron Man.

Oh well, hope more info crops up soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I am bloody psyched for this is it coming out for consoles ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

That looks very cool, anyone else think that sounds like either Keaton or Neil Patrick Harris as Spidey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well NPH did the voice for "Amazing" Spiderman in Shattered Dimensions so its a possibility.

• Advertisement

Its an MMO too. Taking MMO's in a new direction. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

jpcarlow wrote: »
    That looks very cool, anyone else think that sounds like either Keaton or Neil Patrick Harris as Spidey?

I think its Drake Bell, he does the voice of Spidey in the new Ultimate Spiderman cartoon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Game is out today as Free-to-Play.

I'm currently downloading via STEAM, it should show up in everyone's games list.
    Looks ok, I don't like the pricing model at all though, 200e for all the characters ? ....

Hopefully it plays well though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness, you'd want to just ahve money to burn and no patience to buy them all. You can earn them all for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just downloaded this an was shocked at some of the prices the heroes cost. Ironman costing the most at €15. Lucky enough Storm was one of the 5 free characters so i'm happy enough

-Edit-
    ...and im done with this game. That didn't last long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just downloaded this an was shocked at some of the prices the heroes cost. Ironman costing the most at €15. Lucky enough Storm was one of the 5 free characters so i'm happy enough

-Edit-

Haha was it crap?

I wouldn't call it crap. Just a bit shallow. It's main appeal is the Pokemon "Gotta catch them all" effect of trying to collect new heroes. I mentioned in another thread that it's the type of thing that you might play for very short bursts when you don't want to have to think about what you're playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

-Edit-

Ha, I usually trust your opinion so I'll be staying away from this. Care to give a quick synopsis?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Downloaded, then was devastated when I HAD to play as a preset superhero :( Though It would be like DC or Champions and I could make my own ridiculous super hero !

Have not played much to be honest !

The combat felt very stiff with the shift key stopping your movement whenever you press it even when you don't activate a spell. The talent tree's are also very bland with alot of the nodes on each tree being spells. Would have been more interesting if there was more passive abilities that drastically change how spells work to make for some very interesting builds. Plus the enemies are very boring with them all being human and just running directly at you, sure most ARPG's are like this but in games like PoE and D3 even normal mobs in the starting areas have some unique properties and attacks that mix it up abit. Marvel, nothing.

No Damage numbers :rolleyes:
    Gear not updating on your character model. Big part of an ARPG/MMO is the advancement in how badass your character looks. But i suppose they gotta make a few quid off the skins and having Storm or any other character in full plate armour or anything other than their superhero outfit just wouldn't be right. The whole time i played i just felt like i would rather be playing the gameplay of D3 or delving? in the depth of PoE.

That being said i only played about 4-5 hours of the game, so everything i said above is completely void

The combat felt very stiff with the shift key stopping your movement whenever you press it even when you don't activate a spell. The talent tree's are also very bland with alot of the nodes on each tree being spells. Would have been more interesting if there was more passive abilities that drastically change how spells work to make for some very interesting builds. Plus the enemies are very boring with them all being human and just running directly at you, sure most ARPG's are like this but in games like PoE and D3 even normal mobs in the starting areas have some unique properties and attacks that mix it up abit. Marvel, nothing.

No Damage numbers :rolleyes:
    Gear not updating on your character model. Big part of an ARPG/MMO is the advancement in how badass your character looks. But i suppose they gotta make a few quid off the skins and having Storm or any other character in full plate armour or anything other than their superhero outfit just wouldn't be right. The whole time i played i just felt like i would rather be playing the gameplay of D3 or delving? in the depth of PoE.

That being said i only played about 4-5 hours of the game, so everything i said above is completely void

I'll take your word for it and pass on this. I may eventually give it a go but too many good games out at the moment to waste hours in this that I will more than likely regret!

Big Knox wrote: »
    I'll take your word for it and pass on this. I may eventually give it a go but too many good games out at the moment to waste hours in this that I will more than likely regret!
    While it being Free to Play is a fair reason to give it a try and see, it's easily eclipsed by the likes of Paths of Exile, which is a lot more polished and rewarding.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I think I would have downloaded it if they went the LoL/Dota way with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    I think I would have downloaded it if they went the LoL/Dota way with it.

DC are basically doing that, so expect to see Batman and Superman MOBA soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Gave it a go there. Had big framerate issues even on the lowest settings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Meatwad wrote: »
    DC are basically doing that, so expect to see Batman and Superman MOBA soon enough.
    Pity they didn't swap,Marvel have a way bigger gallery of stars imo

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Pity they didn't swap,Marvel have a way bigger gallery of stars imo
    The sad thing is, this game was originally to be like DC Universe Online, but they pulled the plug on that and then revived it in it's current state. I'd have loved a proper Marvel MMO.

humanji wrote: »
    While it being Free to Play is a fair reason to give it a try and see, it's easily eclipsed by the likes of Paths of Exile, which is a lot more polished and rewarding.

It would have to be a very special game to compete with Path of Exile to be fair. Have took a break recently but the massive patch this week with a full respec for everyone means I'll be revisiting this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I had a go of the beta a few weeks ago and I wasn't too impressed. At the time there wasn't any controller support, which is a deal breaker for me (maybe it has it now?). There just wasn't anything that made me think "Yeah, I'd like to keep playing this".

Advertisement