Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 logic board failure

• 24-05-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

So on tuesday, I let my iPhone 4 down and left the room for about an hour, and came back to find it seemingly switched off. I plugged it in, left for a few hours, but nothing. Tried everything I could to turn it on. (Note, the on/off button on the top is broken, clicks in like normal, but hasn't worked in about 10 months). So basically nothing worked for me, but if I rang it from another phone, the line would ring and carry thorough to voicemail as normal, but nothing would actually happen on the phone.

Brought it to a repair shop in Cork, left it with them and today, they got back to me to say that the logic board has failed. The guy can get it power on with an external power source, but the logic board doesn't recognise the battery, and that I essentially require a new, expensive, logic board. I asked him what could have caused it, and they couldn't find any cause, no water damage.

I like to think I'm fairly technologically savvy, so I didn't do anything stupid to it (if that could even cause the failure?), it wasn't jailbroken. The only thing "off" about it was, I hadn't updated to the latest edition of iOS 5. Phone got normal usage, but up until two days before the failure, I had been tethering to it a lot more than normal( ~600mb over two days), as we had issues with our router at home. I wasn't tethered to it at the time of the failure. iPhone was bought last March.

Firstly, I'm just querying the knowledge base here about the diagnosis. Does it sound right? Should I get a second opinion? (bearing in mind that to the best of my knowledge the other centre in Cork - CompuB - have a €75 diagnosis charge)

I'm due an upgrade on my 02 account, so I can get a iPhone 4S for cheaper than a new logic board for my 4, but I was hoping to save that for the next iPhone 5 or whatever they decide to name it..

Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Moved from Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Why don't you call apple? Is it more than 2 years old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Moved from Mac.

Sorry about that, I'm so used to seeing people post about laptops and stuff in the mac forum that I forgot about this forum :o
    TBi wrote: »
    Why don't you call apple? Is it more than 2 years old?

I called about an hour ago. Went through the situation with the guy on the phone, he said he has to run through some reset things with me first before it can be logged as a hardware fault, and I was quoted €160 to get it fixed with them. The phone was bought last March, and is 77 days out of warranty with Apple, but I'll try and see what the story is with being covered by the sale of goods act, because the failure seems a little extreme..

Sorry about that, I'm so used to seeing people post about laptops and stuff in the mac forum that I forgot about this forum :o

I called about an hour ago. Went through the situation with the guy on the phone, he said he has to run through some reset things with me first before it can be logged as a hardware fault, and I was quoted €160 to get it fixed with them. The phone was bought last March, and is 77 days out of warranty with Apple, but I'll try and see what the story is with being covered by the sale of goods act, because the failure seems a little extreme..

Should be covered up to 2 years. Depending on your definition of warranty vs guarantee.

What would be the best way to phrase that to the support staff?

• Advertisement

Try this, from this thread. This post is helpful .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TBi wrote: »
    Try this, from this thread. This post is helpful .

How confusing are you trying to make this? The third link is the situation in Italy, not Ireland. And it has already been pointed out to you about the 2 year warranty not being relevant on the thread you linked.

Simply put OP, the 2 year EU warranty doesn't apply in Ireland because we never enacted that part of the directive. You go after Apple under the Sales of Goods and Supply of services Act, which offers the Irish consumer better protection than the 2 year EU Directive, which is why we never enacted that part.

whiterebel wrote: »
    How confusing are you trying to make this

Awe damn. Why you go n make it sensifical!

Just off the phone with Apple, they claim that because I bought the phone through 02, that my claim needs to be processed by them...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just off the phone with Apple, they claim that because I bought the phone through 02, that my claim needs to be processed by them...

And they are correct. Your contract is with the seller, not the Manufacturer.

• Advertisement

Got off the phone with 02, the guy on the phone was pretty baffled to say the least. He said he would find out what he could, and I'd call him back tomorrow. He kept on saying that the 02 only provide the 12 month warranty, I told him that the Act covers me independent of the existence of any warranty provided to me by 02.

Something tells me this will take a long time :/

Advertisement