Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary Query

Options
  • 24-05-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Not sure if this is the correct forum - if not can a mod please move to the correct one?

Just want some advice in regards to my salary. I’m a Principal Software Engineer with 12 years experience. I’m currently on a salary of £35,000GBP (Approx €43640). Our work is in the area of safety critical applications.

I've got experience in design & verification (team lead roles in both) and I'm also a Chartered Engineer (if that makes any difference).

Most of my programming skills are related to propietary tools and languages - so although I've got the skillset in terms of methodology, people looking for Java designers etc will overlook me in favour of those with actual experience of that tool/language.

My question is what should I be expecting to earn currently in this role and what would I expect to happen to my salary if I switched into a more mainstream software engineering environment?

I'm just trying to figure out if I'm being undervalued in my current position.

Thanks,
    FM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Hi.

Not sure if this is the correct forum - if not can a mod please move to the correct one?

Just want some advice in regards to my salary. I’m a Principal Software Engineer with 12 years experience. I’m currently on a salary of £35,000GBP (Approx €43640). Our work is in the area of safety critical applications.

I've got experience in design & verification (team lead roles in both) and I'm also a Chartered Engineer (if that makes any difference).

Most of my programming skills are related to propietary tools and languages - so although I've got the skillset in terms of methodology, people looking for Java designers etc will overlook me in favour of those with actual experience of that tool/language.

My question is what should I be expecting to earn currently in this role and what would I expect to happen to my salary if I switched into a more mainstream software engineering environment?

I'm just trying to figure out if I'm being undervalued in my current position.

Thanks,
    FM.

Not hugely familiar with salary scales in software development, but even without the non-proprietary languages, that seems very low for 12 years experience. A mate of mine works in Java programming - he has about 5 years less experience, but is on around €50k.

I would have thought that that amount for a principal type position with all that experience - especially in management/leading teams - would be pretty low!

Advertisement