Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon Fly Fishing

Options
  • 24-05-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Just taking this up now. I have no experience and will be fishing mainly on a small river in the west, and occasionally on the Erriff. Can anyone recommend a rod/reel/line combination for starting out and a selection of salmon flys too.

Any help appreciated R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The Erriff isn't a big river, and a single-handed rod is sufficient for most conditions there. I'd get a 10.5-11 foot 6-7 weight rod that has a bit of backbone for playing fish. Can't recommend specific rods myself but Greys, Redington, Vision all make decent rods for mid-price range, if you want to spend more you could try Hardy, Guideline, Loop or G-Loomis.

I'd get a floating or intermediate line, a floater with a small selection of sinking tips would do the job for most situations.

10lbs leader will also be fine for small rivers in the west.

Re flies, the Cascade is probably the most popular (and hence m
    ost successful) fly for salmon in Ireland. I had 2 fish on the Erriff on a Cascade in one evening last year. The traditional shrimp patterns still do well, as well as the Stoats Tail, Silver Stoat, Willie Gunn, but there are a myriad patterns and to be honest most are as good as the next - if you have confidence in a fly you will fish it a lot, and therefore that will catch you more fish.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭emcor

Thanks for this Zzippy - its just the sort of sound advice I was hoping for.
    Just a minor clarification for me; If I have a selection of tips on the line do I need a separate spool for the reel. About how much backing should I have too.

Cheers -

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

emcor wrote: »
    Thanks for this Zzippy - its just the sort of sound advice I was hoping for.
    Just a minor clarification for me; If I have a selection of tips on the line do I need a separate spool for the reel. About how much backing should I have too.

Cheers -

You'll just use one tip at a time, but have a small selection available - intermediate, slow sink, fast sink, something like that. You only need a spare spool if you're going with different fly lines, e.g. a floater and an intermediate.

100 metres of backing should be more than enough for the rivers you're fishing, and you're unlikely to hook anything big enough to strip even a fraction of that, but its worth having that much in case you fish lakes for salmon.

Advertisement