Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guaranteeing payment

Options
  • 24-05-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

hi all,first post here on boards.
    im am starting a new business as a soletrader providing a service to private houses companies and the public sector.
    i want to make sure that i recieve payment for my work and i have heard of a 30 day credit card that you can request off the client.
    how does this work and how do i go about getting that ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'm a sole trader selling to private houses, companies and the public sector. Never heard of your 30 day credit card.

If you want to get paid then first of all you need to provide a professional service at all times - turn up on time, do what's required, look smart.

Agree the payment terms - verbally and in writing - in advance of starting work. Get private houses to pay a deposit if you can (about 30%) - get a PayPal account. Request payment when you have finished the job and before you leave the premises.

Not sure how much your service will be selling for but I haven't had a problem with private houses in the last five years.

Companies and public sector. Again request payment on invoice, provide a pro forma if necessary (an invoice before the service has been provided). public sector you'll probably need a purchase number and give them your bank account details. Do this before starting the job. You won't get a deposit from corporates/public sector.

Remember it's all about communication. If you don't tell them you want payment on completion then don't get upset if you don't get paid. Putting it in writing isn't enough.

Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FelineFelix

Never heard of the credit card you're talking about but have you heard of Payjack?

That might suit

I saw it on http://siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/item/27301-tech-start-up-of-the-week/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Putting it in writing is a load of bs.. You put that in the invoice pile..

As stated above.. as a windowcleaner or whatever service your providing get payment after the job is done.
    Windowcleaner comes on thursdays and he gets his €6 .. the end.. If he started giving me invoices that were written they would go in the In pile with all the other bills. Personally i think its a bad road to go down.

Advertisement