Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it take long to recover from the jet lag father?

Options
  • 24-05-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Heya,

I'm thinking of heading over to Oz to see a few mates later on this year but the longest time away that I'll be able to manage will be 2 weeks or so. I've heard that the jet lag can be awful when you get to Oz so my question is this: Is two weeks long enough to go there, get over the jet lag and still have a good time?

I've been told it isn't, but I'd like to hear that from people who've been there & done that.

Thankee!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Scráib wrote: »
    Heya,

I'm thinking of heading over to Oz to see a few mates later on this year but the longest time away that I'll be able to manage will be 2 weeks or so. I've heard that the jet lag can be awful when you get to Oz so my question is this: Is two weeks long enough to go there, get over the jet lag and still have a good time?

I've been told it isn't, but I'd like to hear that from people who've been there & done that.

Thankee!
    About 1 week to recover. 2weeks in Aus is a very short time. If you have never had jetlag before this will be a shock.
    Tired at 3pm wide awake 5am etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Try to get a good sleep the night before you fly, don't leave anything to the last minute. I think going east to west is worse though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I had no jet lag the last two times I came. Landed late afternoon and forced myself to stay awake until 10:00pm

My next flight back into the country lands at night and I have work the next morning \:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think it very much depends on the travel times. If you can effectivly leave late Irish time, flyovernight to the half way stop and get a decent amount of sleep and repeat on the next leg you'll generally arrive morningish and be fine.

I found flying west rather than east was slightly better, though that could have just been flight times.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

hussey wrote: »
    About 1 week to recover. 2weeks in Aus is a very short time. If you have never had jetlag before this will be a shock.
    Tired at 3pm wide awake 5am etc

I have never heard of anyone taking a week to recover. It depends on lots of things, time you leave, how much sleep you had on the plane etc.
    Just stay awake like slidey says and you will be grand the next day (2 days at the most).
    It has never affected me when I get back to Sydney but I suppose everyone is different. Then again I don't sleep much anyway.
    I had my sister over last year for 10 days and she was grand after a day. I let her have a nap during her first day for about 1 hour and she was fine after that. (she arrived at 6am but slept most of the flight).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

You would want at least 3 weeks to be able to enjoy Oz. 2 weeks is very little time. When I went to Oz I went straight there and it took me four or 5 days to fully get over the jet lag. It was horrible. I split the journey on the way home. Went to Malaysia for a few days. It made such a difference. Doing the whole journey in 1 go can be a nightmare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Depends on flight times. Mine arrived in Australia about 8/9pm, so got there and went to bed for a decent night sleep, woke up next morning...Hey presto- adjusted!

My advice is make sure your flight arrives in the evening so that when you eventually get to a bed it'll be at a time where you can get a nice long recovery sleep but still wake up aussie morning time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Landed in Sydney last year around midday. Bought my cousin a bottle of Kahlua. Got to his apartment, slept for a few hours, went on the beer. Was puking and sh*tin for a few days after. Convinced it was jet lag..........

Advertisement