Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child maintenance

Options
  • 24-05-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi all. Id just like a bit of advice. What would be normal payments. I am on 32g a year but on unpaid leave at min. My sons dad is on about 45g. We both claim single parent tax credit of 1650 euro a year. My son is 6 months old. I paid for all his necessities, ie pram, cot, sterilisers etc. This past 3 months his dad has given me 200 a month and refuses to pay half child minding fees when i return to work. As my son was born in nov we both were entitled to the tax credit for last year. His dad got a cheque for 2039 euro which i never seen a cent of. His had has had him one night from he was born and sees him for about 3 hours once a fortnight, thats not set in stone, he can call anytime he wants. I pay for all doctors, etc and as my son has very bad eczema i have had him at consultants etc and am out a fortune. His dad lives a very good life, has great social life, wears expensive clothes etc and thinks he is "been very generous" he told me. But if he is 2039 euro better off in tax and then giving me 2400 year im wondering am i been taken for a idiot. Should i be looking for more s im really struggling at the min. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

If you feel like he should be giving you more - and he refuses, there is not much you can do apart from taking it to court. This can be a long and time consuming battle and at the end of the day a judge might tell you to be happy with your €200 a month. If you do take it to court i would suggest sorting out the access also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd say get some legal advice.

There is no way you can negotiate for yourself here, as you are negative towards him to start with. You forgot to mention the child allowance you receive. Plus, taking unpaid leave is a choice you made. You could go back to work.

Why is the healthcare costing so much? Are you gone private? Do you have health insurance?

I have no idea what the norm is, as there is no norm. Everyone's situation is different.

• Administrators Posts: 14,051 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Your maintenance isn't necessarily decided depending on how much money your ex has, but more on what your costs for your child are... And he should pay half.

Have a look at the www.solo.ie website. It has loads of information, and answers questions you might have on maintenance. It also includes an expenditure spreadsheet so you can work out what your child related costs are.

Advertisement