Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Modem/Router interferes with cordless phone

• 24-05-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I'm out of contract. I have wifi turned off. Modem is in use since January 2010.

Vodafone want to charge me €20 for a new one.

My bitch is that I've bought 2 new phones since getting this router thinking that the phones were at fault, believing in all innocence that it was not possible to sell electronic equipment that interferes with other electronic equipment. I have tried 4 different in-line filters and also as this modem has an inbuilt filter for the phone line also tried that. Nothing helps.

If I unplug the modem the interference stops immediately. This is not a solution as sometimes I have to use the phone and Internet at the same time.

Hard to believe that I'm the only Vodafone customer with this problem.

Will write COMREG and and hassle Voda once more.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does the cordless phone have a channel switch where you can select one of three or four channels (on both the base and handset) in order to avoid conflict with your neighbour or your own equipment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is the cordless phone DECT?

Our router also affected the cordless phone, we moved it to another room.
    We had NTL so we also had a box in the bedroom we could plug the phone base into.

We also have a analogue and a digital baby monitor, both of them have interference from the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭rameire

its not just vodafone routers,
    its all routers, Ive had a few different routers and they have all given interference to cordless telephones and baby monitors

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Routers interfering with cordless phones is common if wifi is switched on, if its switched off...and I mean actually switched off just not in use then this should be fine.

If you are getting interference on your phone calls then it could be a faulty filter, router, phone or wiring but IF the problem is only occurring with this particular set of cordless phone then its going to be none of these things....perhaps its the phones in some way?

I note your out of contract, so even if the router is somehow now faulty Vodafone don't need to replace it for free as its also going to be out of warranty.

If you want a new router then you'll either need to pay Vodafone, sign up to a new contract or just go buy your own.

Vodafone are well within their rights to charge you for a router for a replacement when the first one would have only had a one year warranty.

i'm unsure what you believe Comreg may do for you in this instance,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

coylemj wrote: »
    Does the cordless phone have a channel switch where you can select one of three or four channels (on both the base and handset) in order to avoid conflict with your neighbour or your own equipment?
    Not on this one, but I think this would only be relevant if I was using Wifi.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Is the cordless phone DECT?
    It Is DECT
    rameire wrote: »
    its not just vodafone routers,
    its all routers, Ive had a few different routers and they have all given interference to cordless telephones and baby monitors

I have access to a 6 year old Eircom Netopia modem/router , and when I use this, there is zero interference.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Routers interfering with cordless phones is common if wifi is switched on, if its switched off...and I mean actually switched off just not in use then this should be fine.

Wifi is switched off, I don't need it.
    If you are getting interference on your phone calls then it could be a faulty filter, router, phone or wiring but IF the problem is only occurring with this particular set of cordless phone then its going to be none of these things....perhaps its the phones in some way?
    This my b-tch, since having this router I've bought 2 new phones one corded and one cordless. About 3 weeks ago I had a phone call that was crystal clear, amazed it took a day or two to dawn on me that the router was not switched on during that eerily crystal clear call.
    I note your out of contract, so even if the router is somehow now faulty Vodafone don't need to replace it for free as its also going to be out of warranty.

If you want a new router then you'll either need to pay Vodafone, sign up to a new contract or just go buy your own.

Vodafone are well within their rights to charge you for a router for a replacement when the first one would have only had a one year warranty.
    I contend that the router was always faulty. I bought a corded phone on 22 Aug 2011 and a cordless phone on 22 Jan 2012, and now I find that my original phone, i.e, phone 3, a cordless , works perfectly with a 6 year old Eircom Netopia router.
    i'm unsure what you believe Comreg may do for you in this instance,

Bit of an impulse really , thought maybe they would be interested in interference from unwanted radiation. They passed me onto Consumer body as said it was a faulty product problem. If I buy a fridge, power tool, etc, I don't expect radiation from it to interfere with my phone.

Like I said in op, the phone whistles and the closer I bring it to the modem the louder it whistles.

Thanks for your contribution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

All 'n' modems i've used interfere with 'DECT' phones, though less whistle more a tone noise. as both use wireless tech, i dont know how you can avoid this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

When you say the interference stops when you unplug the router, do you mean unplugged from the power supply or from the phone line?

If only from the power supply not just the phone line then you could try changing the wifi channel the router is set to, although it should really be disabling the radio altogether if you've turned off wifi.

By the way, loads of electrical devices can interfere with wireless communication, including fridges and powertools seeing as you mention them.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    All 'n' modems i've used interfere with 'DECT' phones, though less whistle more a tone noise. as both use wireless tech, i dont know how you can avoid this.

I'm not using Wifi, Wifi is switched off and router web interface confirms this

Zab wrote: »
    When you say the interference stops when you unplug the router, do you mean unplugged from the power supply or from the phone line?
    Unplugged from power supply. The Voda router actually has an inbuilt phone line filter which works even with the router unplugged. This filter gives better results than inline filters (3) I've tried!
    If only from the power supply not just the phone line then you could try changing the wifi channel the router is set to, although it should really be disabling the radio altogether if you've turned off wifi.
    Wifi is off, don't need it and router web interface confirms this.
    By the way, loads of electrical devices can interfere with wireless communication, including fridges and power-tools seeing as you mention them.
    Always believed that unwanted radiation from electrical products was regulated by different standards authorities. The Netopia router is passed by FCC and IC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dohouch wrote: »
    I contend that the router was always faulty. I bought a corded phone on 22 Aug 2011 and a cordless phone on 22 Jan 2012, and now I find that my original phone, i.e, phone 3, a cordless , works perfectly with a 6 year old Eircom Netopia router.

It very well be but your only contacting Vodafone about the router now, how exactly do you plan on actually proving to Vodafone that it was faulty before now?

There's no evideice logged (other then your word) to suggest it was, at the end of the day you could say its faulty since you first got it but again there's no proof.
    If I buy a fridge, power tool, etc, I don't expect radiation from it to interfere with my phone.

Like I said in op, the phone whistles and the closer I bring it to the modem the louder it whistles.

Last time I checked the standard fridge isn't in anyway physically connected to your phone line nor does it emmit wifi signals which actually can cause interference with other wireless devices.

Not a very good comparison to your situation I'm afraid :)

Decided to buy new from Amazon for £13.95,( €17.45) Belkin , with lifetime guarantee.

I've been with Voda for 29 months and give them approximately €1400, and they can't replace a faulty modem free of charge, not the way I would treat my customers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Certain devices such as Microwaves and cordless phones have always been known to cause interference with WiFi and vice versa.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Certain devices such as Microwaves and cordless phones have always been known to cause interference with WiFi and vice versa.
    I'm not using Wifi, it's switched off. The only thing interfering with the DECT cordless is the Voda modem/router.

All interferences stops as soon as I unplug the Wifi disabled router!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Nets & Comms

dudara

Further contact from Voda. Was offered compensation of €20. I lwould have to sign a a new contract pay €19.99 for the modem and in 1 to 2 months my bill would receive a €20 credit. Also would be given a 7 day cooling of period during which I could try the modem.

Trouble is this was all on the phone, but I do have a proper land line number and a name to contact them on. I think I will take it, if I can get it all set out in an email.

Advertisement