Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with flash on apple machines?

Options
  • 24-05-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

hey!

I've finished a project which uses about 40 .swf files that get pieced together to play a movie. It works fine in windows, but when i sent it over to a mate to look at he got a blank screen when he tried to view any of the html pages used.

The .swf files are located in files/movie/ and play fine when he loads them independently, but when they get called from a web page they wont load for him, but they do for me... so I am nearly positive that its a problem with syntax.

Namely here
    <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="files/movies/startscreen2.swf">

and here
    <EMBED src="files/movies/startscreen2.swf" quality=high bgcolor=

The web page that frames the swf files is meant to be blank, and its not going on the internet, so I'm not worried about how it looks (for the time being), I just need to make sure it plays first!

Here's the page that holds one of the files
    <html>
    <head>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="files/css/style.css" />

<title>
    		Life Pro Plus
    		</title>

</head> 

<body>

<div id="frame">

<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" WIDTH="925" HEIGHT="520" id="lifepro" ALIGN="">
    <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="files/movies/startscreen2.swf"> 
    <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> 
    <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#fff> 
    <EMBED src="files/movies/startscreen2.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#fff WIDTH="925" HEIGHT="520" NAME="Yourfilename" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
    </EMBED>
    </OBJECT> 

</div>
    </body>
    </html>

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Maybe he doesn't have flash installed, there's no reason I can think of why it wouldn't work on a mac. You have Safari, Chrome and Firefox all on Windows, so you're able to test yourself fine.

Code looks fine at first glance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

When you say apple machines, I presume you mean with full on OSX, there's no flash on iOS (iphone, ipad etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

p wrote: »
    Maybe he doesn't have flash installed, there's no reason I can think of why it wouldn't work on a mac. You have Safari, Chrome and Firefox all on Windows, so you're able to test yourself fine.

Code looks fine at first glance.

Thing is, the swf files load on his machine fine, in fact when we were testing this out the demo version worked also. I've sent it on to another windows user and it work for her. I tested it on ie,ff, chrome, safari and they all played fine. His macbook and his GF's macbook both wouldnt play it. It really is bread and butter HTML, I'm stumped!

stevenmu wrote: »
    When you say apple machines, I presume you mean with full on OSX, there's no flash on iOS (iphone, ipad etc)

Yes, exactly.

The video is an installment for an exhibition, but there is talk of making it downloadable to the public in a months time, it's really the only reason I'm bothered about it playing on OSX. Otherwise this piece would just sit on my hard-drive like countless other projects that I've forgotten about, hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ok a few suggestions, either the most up to date adobe flash and flash player hasn't been up to date or only one of them are up to date.

Check the movie file is saved within the same file of all your other flash files.
    Check the name and location of your movie file do they correspond.

Could be just a line of code somewhere isn't spot on???

I am assuming the link and div id..../div tags are done ok and the quotes are done alright?

Maybe the OS isn't taking the Flash all that well, if it works on one computer it should work on a laptop.

Could be down to the swf or video itself. Might be not compatible with some computers/laptops compared to others. Could be a system incompatibility.

Advertisement