Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I hire plumber and charge to management company?

Options
  • 24-05-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Im a tenant and having problems with the handyman and plumber that the managament company are using.

Background: Water has been off for 7 days now as problems with pump . I wont even go into the timeframe of what has happened but basically it was a week of fobbing off / not turning up. At present he is waiting on a part to fix it.in the meantime we have been without running water (i.e no sink,washing machine, bathroom, shower).

Do i have the right to take it upon myself (i.e pay another plumber) to get it fixed and charge it to the landlord?

i have raised the issue with management company , who in fairness, seemed to try and speed things up. but issue still remains.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

If the problem with the water supply is outside the confines of the property then it may be a management company problem. If the problem is within the confines of the property then it is the landlord's problem.

I think you may be confusing management company (which is a company to maintain and service apartment complexes and some housing estates) with the landlord's agent who acts on behalf of the landlord. A Management company usually employs a managing agent or managing company (who supply the managing agent) to carry out the work as set by the management company which could include collect maintenance charges, cut the grass, maintain and clean common areas etc.

If you have an issue with the water supply, you should firstly, notify the landlord or his agent by phone and secondly, follow this up with a written letter stating the problem. As lack of water supply is a very serious problem, you should cite in the letter that the problem should be remedied within, say, three days (in this case).

If the problem is not remedied, the landlord may be in breach of his obligations.

In order to have the work carried out yourself, you must first inform the landlord that you will have this done if he fails to do it. You must get at least two (preferably 3) quotes for the repair and choose the lowest quote and advise the landlord of the price and the work to be done. You should get a receipt for the work carried out and either take the price off your next rental payment or request the landlord for immediate re-reimbursement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Do you mind if I ask where you live? I had the exact same issue recently - our water supply was fixed on Tuesday after not working for 8 days.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78808129

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im not 100% certain on this but I would have thought a tenancy which has no running water would not be considered to be habitable, and as such you could reasonably give your notice to leave in 7 days without penalty. Someone else may confirm or rubbish this, but I would consider any place which has been without running water for a week to be not suitable to live in.

Advertisement