Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Key locked in door... help please :(

• 24-05-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hiya, hopefully someone can help here.
    We had brother in law staying last night, was in the toilet and turned the key, but when trying to open the key it broke inside... just the very top part of a standard internal door key.
    Managed to rescue yer man out the 1st floor window, but now we have a locked door, so how do I fix it?

I can see right through the keyhole, but with leaf part of key in there somewhere, so it remains locked.

These are standard internal doors, isnt there a set of keys that i can get to try to open these?... any help would be great... need my loo back!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

The part of the key that's in your hand may have a number on it (Basta keys used to). What I would try is : Have a look around the house for another with the same number and try to open the lock with that. You would be following like with like in the lock....

Failing finding one at home - if you live in a developemnt of houses which are all the same ask a neighbour if they have that key number.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mapera

sound, will give it a go when i get home, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does the door open in or out? I assume it opens inwards, get back inside with a reciprocating saw, or one of them hack saw blade holders, and saw through the brass piece that locks it. Its made of brass, won't put up much of a fight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Just following from my idea above. Your BIL obviously had to force the key to lock the door. He may have forced it because the brass bit and the receptical in the door jam were not alligned. If you are trying what I am suggesting make sure you pull or push the door to ease the forcing. You know how your door closes - he didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Run down to your IT or office maintenance department and ask them for a bent nosed pliers. A small one so you can insert and try to retrieve the broken key/bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Pity it wasn't your mother in law , you could have left her there ........peace :D

Advertisement