Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Local US Side 1994?

• 24-05-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭

Last night I was watching ""Euros' Most Shocking Moments BBC3 10 pm." and one clip had England's full national side playing a non-league side in a warm-up game for Euro 88.

Does anyone remember hearing about Ireland doing something similar in the build up to the 1994 world cup? I'm almost certain I remember something about them playing a local University side and beating them by some ridiculous scoreline (like maybe 10-0 or 15-0).

Not expecting to find any video of this game but I was wondering if anyone remembered hearing about this game or who the opponents were etc? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Last night I was watching ""Euros' Most Shocking Moments BBC3 10 pm." and one clip had England's full national side playing a non-league side in a warm-up game for Euro 88.

Does anyone remember hearing about Ireland doing something similar in the build up to the 1994 world cup? I'm almost certain I remember something about them playing a local University side and beating them by some ridiculous scoreline (like maybe 10-0 or 15-0).

Not expecting to find any video of this game but I was wondering if anyone remembered hearing about this game or who the opponents were etc? Thanks.

Ireland did play a local college team from the Orlando area in Florida when they were training there prior to the World Cup Finals starting in 1994 in the USA. Jack Charlton mentions the game briefly in his World Cup diary saying Ireland won the game by double digits but not naming the exact college or giving the exact score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

If I remember correctly we played two such games against well inferior teams. Not sure if it was the same team twice... I don't think it was, I think it was two separate teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Who did we play before the 2002 World Cup? They had some player from Cameroon who took chunks out of Jason McAteer if I remember correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I think England played against a team of waiters before a World Cup (1982?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Who did we play before the 2002 World Cup? They had some player from Cameroon who took chunks out of Jason McAteer if I remember correctly?

Stephen Cluxton?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

After Hungary beat El Salvador 10-1 in the 1982 World Cup
    EL SALVADOR vs THE HOTEL WAITERS
    “The waiters from our hotel challenged us and we beat them. I guess they were trying to cheer us up" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Nigeria.

Can't remember much of the game apart from that we lost!

Highlight of the game had to be Julius Aghahowa's back flips when he scored. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

kincsem wrote: »
    After Hungary beat El Salvador 10-1 in the 1982 World Cup
    EL SALVADOR vs THE HOTEL WAITERS
    “The waiters from our hotel challenged us and we beat them. I guess they were trying to cheer us up" :pac:

The waiters must have been very embarrassed after that shock defeat! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Why would they bother playing these games to get confidence or something think the italy team are doing something similar tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

blue-army wrote: »

Nigeria.

Can't remember much of the game apart from that we lost!

Highlight of the game had to be Julius Aghahowa's back flips when he scored. :pac:

Nope, I'm pretty sure Nigeria beat us at Landsdown before the tournament. The poster above is talking about a warm up game against a Jap league team who had a Cameroonion lad in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Having already lost his most influential midfielder, Ireland manager Mick McCarthy will be hoping that today's scan on the knee that Jason McAteer injured during his country's 2-1 warm-up win over Sanfrecce Hiroshima yesterday will reveal nothing more serious than bruising.

McCarthy condemned the tackle - which came from Bilong, a player who hails from Cameroon, the country Ireland face in their opening Group E match on Saturday - but he is hoping that McAteer will recover in time for that first match.

'It was a bad tackle, there is no doubt about that and Jason has got a bruised knee,' said McCarthy after he had watched the Sunderland midfielder taken from the pitch on a stretcher. 'He got a hell of a bad kick and he has got a sore knee. We shall have to wait until it settles down, but we don't think there is any ligament damage.'

Ireland were forced to work hard for their victory, Robbie Keane scoring a goal in each half after Tatsuhiko Kubo had put Hiroshima ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Yup, it was Sanfrecce Hiroshima and the player was Michel Pensee Billong. He wasn't just some random Cameroonian either - he'd been a member of their 1998 World Cup squad, not that I'm trying to suggest anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

kitakyushu wrote: »

My amazing powers of deduction have led me to surmise there's a chance that this may be the University you seek; (maybe)
    The Irish team began its workout in Orlando, Fla., early last week but also scheduled practices at Drew University on Thursday, and June 26 and 27 in preparation for games with Italy and Norway.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/12/nyregion/with-the-world-cup-near-teams-pick-practice-sites-in-state.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Advertisement