Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well? What does travel mean to you?

• 24-05-2012 1:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭

Inspired by one of those "worst holiday" threads, which seemed to be verging on the xenephobic on occasion :rolleyes:

What do you enjoy most about travelling? Be it meeting people, cuisine, sightseeing, lazing on a beach (or in a bar), music, culture, letting your hair down etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

anything that involves getting out of this sh!tty country for a bit counts as travel to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Being in a brand new place. And doing all the stuff I normally do... in a brand new place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

It's all about the food and drink for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

anything that involves getting out of this sh!tty country for a bit counts as travel to me

:D I still recommend people to our shores, even after 13 years out of it! a friend of ours travelled all the way from Tokyo just to try a pint of Guinness in Mulligans!

For her, it was a quest for the perfect pint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pillaging.

• Advertisement

Leaving the country in which you reside, for any period of time, would constitute travel, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I love meeting the locals most if the time they are the nices people to meet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Meet new people, enjoy their cuisine and local beverages. See the sights and try and learn a bit of the local history.

I am always on my best behaviour when I travel for some reason. Never act the bollix when gargled up, dunno why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Going to a foreign country, eating McDonalds non-stop, only drinking in Irish bars, wearing my GAA jersey and being known by my County instead of my name.

But I love to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

Solitude, being away from everyone, like out in the desert in Arizona or Canadian wilderness, just me and my thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Complain about all the foreigners there seems to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Shopping, eating, drinking and meeting people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The change of scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Sun,sea, food, drink and banter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hectorx

old hippy wrote: »
    What do you enjoy most about travelling? ?

i love listening to my ipod and just relaxing

It means a lot.. Mainly the people, the culture and then the craic. I'm lucky now that I get that while earning a wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Getting back home.

*Clips red shoes together

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

titz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I enjoy the sight seeing, being in a new and different place, exploring a different culture and environment/atmosphere as well as seeing something new and something spectacular like something famous and change of scenery! Relax and enjoy the sights while having a bit of fun too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I don't go anywhere unless I get paid for it.

I love travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The scenery and weather. The different pace of life and culture is what's really great though. It gives me a real sense of freedom to know there are other places that are very different to our own and a lot of them are really wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

SUN, SEA, SEX, SAND, BOOZE, SEX, MINGE, FANNY AND TITS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

every year (or sometimes twice per year) I thank my lucky stars that

a. I am still healthy enough to be able to travel

b. I am still able to fund my traveling because of work. I really don't want to think of the day that my job is gone.

I love the last week build up to the actual travel day - this is nearly as exciting as the trip away, thinking about what you are going to be doing etc, and purchasing last minute summer wear, getting waxed, pampered etc.

Not too mad on the plane journey, but once there I just love the feeling of "i should be working but instead here I am swimming, snorkeling, sightseeing, etc.

I think holidays should be mandatory for everyone in ireland - for one its a known fact that lack of sunshine can bring on depression. Put that with the depressed economy and its a recipe for disaster.

It should be one of the top priorities of the numpties in Government to take car of their people (not just themselves) and provide a grant for everybody to be able to get some sort of break from the terror they inflict on us, by sending them for a few days in the sun. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I'll tell you what travel doesn't mean to me.

All the clowns in Australia I know that get thrashed every night, eating tayto in scruffy murphies and drinking pints of magners, while living in a hostel with 20 other Irish people aren't travelling. Even though they say they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

old hippy wrote: »
    What do you enjoy most about travelling? Be it meeting people, cuisine, sightseeing, lazing on a beach (or in a bar), music, culture, letting your hair down etc?

All of the above. Some in moderation e.g. not too much lazing but not overly active either.

Love a change of scenery/routine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Sykk wrote: »

All the clowns in Australia I know that get thrashed every night, eating tayto in scruffy murphies and drinking pints of magners, while living in a hostel with 20 other Irish people aren't travelling. Even though they say they are.

It's life experience so they can use it to win arguments that have nothing to do with Australia.

Them: "Yea, well, when I was travelling in Australia......blah-de-blah..........so there!!"
    You: "The hell has that got to do with who's cheaper, Lidl or Aldi?"

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I love how different everything is. You can read up on a place as much as you want but you know f.uck all about a place untill you are there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I love going somewhere quare as much as the next man, and without putting you all to sleep, I've spent many years backpacking around various corners of the Earth. I'm happy enough now though to have a few weeks a year somewhere warm, I think I'm over the cultural immersion thing to a certain extent.
    Anyway I briefly tried online dating once and the amount of people rabbiting on about how they've been here and there and they're "not finished just yet!!!" when it comes to travelling was incredibly boring, would instantly make me skip the profile. Is that weird of me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Either way I bet they're having great craic. What should they be doing down there anyway, soaking up the Aussie culture? What's that then... pies? Aussie rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I like looking at infrastructure, I find the new stuff as fascinating as the old stuff. I even like taking part in logical transportation systems like those found just about everywhere else in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Nice meal in the evening followed by way too much alcohol, sleeping it off on the beach the next day, some sightseeing and relaxing.

The main thing is the freedom - not having to worry about time or needing to be somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

True.

It means finding the most godawful farflung locations that only the locals nailed to the place wlould ever countenance being in for more than a day.

Then haggle with said locals for five hours to get a reduction on a 5 cent ehtnic keepsake and then just as the poor fuckers try and set up some sort of toursit industry to bring some money into their miserbale lives, loudly declare the place "over" and having "lost its soul" and decamp back to the student union bar to decry the materialism of once-unspoilt destinations and noble savages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

The main thing is the freedom - not having to worry about time or needing to be somewhere.

Nail. Head.

I deliberately don't wear a watch on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

If

teach is what a teacher does.
    farm is what a farmer does.
    and bake is what a baker does.

by that logic travel means:

breeding horse and dogs, laying tarmac, recycling scrap metal and racing sulkies.etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

One of the great joys of travel for me is getting lost in new cities and just wandering around them soaking up the atmosphere.

Checking into a hostel and wandering down to the common area with a few beers to see if there's anyone interesting to meet (there usually is).

Not worrying about time or any of your responsibilities at home. Having a beer in the middle of the day if you feel like it, getting out of bed when you wake up rather than when the alarm goes, trying new things (activities, food, drinks, etc.)

I think possibly the greatest thing though is escaping the expectations of those around you. Whether you're known as the "sensible one" or the "class clown" at home, you're under no pressure when you're travelling and can just be yourself (assuming you travel solo or only go with those who you can be yourself around).

Of course, I rarely get to travel now. It's family holidays these days. The sun, swimming, no work and time with the kids is nice but I wouldn't really classify it as travelling. Can't wait til they're old enough to go travelling with them though! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

leave Ireland, switch off phone, have no radio, tv, newspapers distracting me......and Relax.

its only when i come home and the radio's on in the car and some gombeeb's blabbering on about NAMA or austerity or Bankers and i realise i needed a break from life in Ireland.

of course as for travelling itself, its all about wandering about getting a taste of the local culture, food, local wines & beers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Being out of contact (should I want to), getting a feel for a new place; the sights, sounds, smells; experiencing new types of food, music etc .. enjoying good weather. I love everything about travelling.. from getting an idea about where to go, to getting up at 5am to go to the airport, to not having a clue what you're going to do when you get there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Experiencing new cultures, cuisine, architecture, scenery & fine ales & wines...love it

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭veloc123

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    SUN, SEA, SEX, SAND, BOOZE, SEX, MINGE, FANNY AND TITS.

Ya forgot reverse piledriver that is always good on the holidays...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I like discovering new scenery...

Could do without the people. Don't like people....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Sights,
    Those "wow" moments (bubbling mud pools, being charged at by angry bull elephants),
    New cultures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Spending an entire week or ten days with Mrs. FoxT & the kids. No internet. Barbecues, swimming, exploring. Doing stuff together, having fun. Sunshine, laughing till we wet ourselves, then laughing some more...

Travel to me means: enjoying myself, relaxing, indulging, pampering. Not testing my endurance levels, like dragging myself around a stinking, super-humid south-east Asian city. Each to their own, but nothing will ever make me want to do the back-packing/hardship/no western comforts/insanely harsh climate thing.

I think I should work for a tourism company. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Dudess wrote: »
    Travel to me means: enjoying myself, relaxing, indulging, pampering. Not testing my endurance levels, like dragging myself around a stinking, super-humid south-east Asian city. Each to their own, but nothing will ever make me want to do the back-packing/hardship/no western comforts/insanely harsh climate thing.

I don't think so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I think I'll probably end up spending my life living in different places. Still haven't found a place I feel that I "fit in" so I guess once I graduate from college, I'm gonna move around a few countries and see which country suits me best and keeps moving around till I finally find somewhere I feel I "fit in" if I ever find such a place that is... Anyway life is a journey so I'm not too worried about it...

Seeing and experiencing new things. You don't even have to leave Ireland.
    Package holidays would be excluded from this imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Learning something new about the world and about myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

Travel for me is a chance to get away from home.
    To find out information about a place before I go to and decide what I want to do and see when I am away.
    When I am traveling I like to try out different food and have a look around different shops. I like meeting new people also.
    Some times it is a chance to sit out in the sun and watch the world go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Dudess wrote: »

Ehh no you shouldn't,the whole point of travel is living in a different country for a while without your dummie to suck on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement