Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help plan out day for me and my 5-year old

Options
  • 24-05-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

Im thinking about bring my 5-year old daughter to dublin for a day out (a saturday probably), but as most of my experiences of dublin revolved around drinking, concerts and croke park, im not exactly sure how you would keep a child entertained.

2 things im thinking of doing is the viking splash tour and maybe the wax works museum. We have done dublin zoo before, so that can be kept of the list.

My starting point in the morning will be at the four courts around 10.30am, and would hope to be leaving dublin around 4.30pm.

Dont want her to have to do too much walking on the day, so if I can keep activities close by each other, that would be great.

Any suggestions would be welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cor

I brought my children on the Viking Splash Tour recently and they enjoyed it. Had to book it online in advance. Starting point was St. Stephen's Green at the top of Dawson Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Museums are free, but expect a lot of questions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Metar

If it is wet, you could get the luas down towards the IFSC and then walk across to Merrion Sq (about 10 mins walk), where you would have, the natural museum (dead zoo), the national art gallery (which I think might have activities for kids on sat) and also science museum at the back of Trinity college, which all might entertain 5 year old for a bit! Also Merrion SQ which has playground.

If the weather is good, it can be hard to beat the Phoenix Park. When you go in the gate at Parkgate St. there is the People's Gardens which has nice gardens for kids to run around in, ducks to feed and a fine playground. If you venture future up to the visitor centre (in the middle of the park, so it would be a bit of a walk), but there is a fine playground, nice grounds to run around, a little maze, coffee shop, visitor centre, walled garden and always guaranteed loads of kids so she could "make" a friend for the few hours. (All free)

Another potential is Dublinia near Christchurch, although she might be a bit young. Might want to check their website to see if they recommend for particular ages.

The national museum down from the 4 courts has a very good display on Irish army with guns, tanks, aeroplanes etc. My 4 yr old boy loved it, but might not be such a big hit with girls.

At that age they will probably get great craic out of going for a trip on the Luas, or I know mine love to sit upstairs on the double decker buses! So might be an idea if you need to travel anywhere within the city. I think the big wheel is stll available down near the O2, which is on Luas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just going by my own nieces and nephews; the playground in Stephen's Green is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The Science Gallery in Trinity is brilliant, they change the exhibition every few months so check it out and see if she might like it. My own daughter loves going, although she is ten so a bit older. If the weather is good follow up with a picnic on the side of the cricket pitch in Trinity college.
    At that stage you are about two minutes walk from the national gallery (Nassau St) & the Natural History Museum (Merrion Square)
    As another poster said the Viking Splash tour, it's amazing, my daughter loved it although a bit nervous when the tour initially entered the water.

My advice is book the Viking Splash Tour for first thing in the morning, it's pretty close to the Four Courts and head back up town.

Either way enjoy the day and don't forget a camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Wax Museum + feed the ducks in Stephens Green?

Leprechaun Museum (urgh...)?

Collin's Barracks is pretty cool, but maybe a bit young...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Wax Museum + feed the ducks in Stephens Green?

Leprechaun Museum (urgh...)?

Collin's Barracks is pretty cool, but maybe a bit young...

The wax museum is a disgrace!

If its unintentional comedy you're after then go by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Feed the ducks in Stephen's Green (dont forget the bread!) and then a visit to the Disney Store! All the Princess stuff is amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Viking splash tour looks like a good starter to me.
    Would follow it up by a visit up to the phoniex park or stephens green. Dont want anything too hectic on the day so they sould like ideal options. Would definatley like to bring her to the museum, she likes asking questions so im sure a museum might just be the answer!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Gillo wrote: »
    The Science Gallery in Trinity is brilliant, they change the exhibition every few months so check it out and see if she might like it. My own daughter loves going, although she is ten so a bit older.

My sister brought her kids (12, 8 & 5) to this last week, the current exhibition is http://sciencegallery.com/happy and is of little interest to kids. She was really disappointed by the place in general and said it wasn't particularly child friendly at all, so be warned...

• Advertisement
Advertisement