Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering after apprenticeship?

Options
  • 24-05-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

So has anyone on here after completing their apprenticeship gone on and done electrical engineering in Dit or Cit?

How did you find it and how did your job prospects after it look?
    Thats assuming your not one of the lucky buggers who done it through the ESB:D

I completed mine in January 2010 went to America for a year came back and was offered a job in the wind energy sector, I turned it down for the chance to go back and do this degree...Did I make the right choice?

Im doing the entrance exams for DT009 in a month and hopefully the interview for Cork as well.
    If I get offered both which is the best option?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I'm in the same boat as you, applied to both aswell. Have you heard anything from CIT? One guy I used to work with has just finished elec eng degree in cit after an apprenticeship, he applied for a few jobs back in March. After a few interviews in the UK, he landed a job with GE over there. He starts in two weeks. He enjoyed the course and pushed me to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lostlad

Nice to see someone in the same situation:pac:

No I heard no work from Cit yet the last time I was talking to them they said it would be May when I would hear from them again.
    So I guess it should be soon.

It would be pretty unlucky if they were both on at the same time!

Did your friend just do the 2 years for the level 7 in Cit or did he go on and do the level 8 after? I see its only an extra year there.

I've heard nothing either,emailed them last week and heard nothing back. I hate the waiting! Ya he started in the second year of level 7, he said that 2nd and 3rd year were "a piece of piss",then went onto the 4th year (level 8) where they piled work onto them. Of all the electricians that he started with,only one quit. Whereas out of all the students that started first year, you could count how many actually lasted the 4 years on one hand.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

lostlad wrote: »
    So has anyone on here after completing their apprenticeship gone on and done electrical engineering in Dit or Cit?
    Yes, DIT.
    How did you find it and how did your job prospects after it look?

So far so good. Been employed full time ever since. However I am aware that I may not always be that lucky.
    Im doing the entrance exams for DT009 in a month and hopefully the interview for Cork as well.
    If I get offered both which is the best option?

I don't know what the job in Cork is, but if you are not going to get additional qualifications I would assume that this will be reflected in the wages they will offer.

I graduated from DT009 a number of years ago.
    For me it was the correct choice as it got me employment in the area I wanted to get into.
    This course is accredited by Engineers Ireland, which is significant.
    There is still quite a bit of instrumentation and automation work available, which would be suitable to DT009 graduates.
    This applies to the pharmaceutical sector in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

There were 4 electricians on my degree course in Kevin Street
    Of the four, two are now in middle management, one is involved in plcs and automation and the other disappeared off the face of the earth, didn't even turn up to the graduation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

I'm one of the 'lucky buggers' that's doing DT009 from the ESB, we went in after phase 4. I've just finished my first year (2nd year of the degree) I'd say nearly the majority of lads in the year are qualified electricians or from the ESB. The course is pretty good with loads of practical work in different areas, most of the lecturers are sound.

The plan for us is to do DT009 and then go into 3rd year of DT021 Honours programme. However I do find the DT009 course fairly challenging so hopefully there are job prospects out there with the degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭don corleone

I have just completed DT009. Coming from the electrician background I applied to this course to improve the job opportunities. I have applied to the DT021 in September (Level 8 Honours degree) and I will be looking for work in the meantime in case I decide I do not want to go back. Here are a few things to consider before taking a place on this course

Be prepared for a heavy workload as assignments and projects are a plenty.

You are given the choice of choosing either Electrical Control systems or Electrical energy systems as your major subject. Electrical control is the study of PLC's and automation industry where Electrical Energy prepares you for a career working with plant/renewable energy/distribution systems and that type of thing. Choosing Electrical energy systems used to be a direct ticket to a career in the ESB, but sadly not any more.

Maths is quite tough.
    If you struggled with maths and electrical science in phases 4/6 maybe consider doing something else or at least stay away from choosing Electrical energy systems as your major.

Be prepared to consider the option of going onto level 8 which is a further two years after completion of DT009. What DIT dont tell you initially is the chances of getting a job after only completing DT009 are quite slim in this economic climate. Having the trade enhances your chances over those coming straight from school but DT009 does not guarantee you a job. Of my year only around 4 lads got jobs so far and 3 of them from the Control systems class. You should be thinking in terms of 4 years at college not just the 2 in case you don't succeed in getting a job after 2.

DT009 moves away from what you do as an electrician, by that I mean the course is more machines and computers based than construction based like the trade. If you want to be that guy you used to see walk onto sites in a flashy suit taking notes you need to look into DT010 Electrical services engineering. I would greatly advise against this as on completion of this course you are still at the mercy of the construction industry. As well as this the DT009 is of a higher standard course and of higher recognition that the DT010.

Do not kid yourself into thinking that when you complete this level 7 degree that you are a qualified engineer. You are more at technician level. To be a chartered engineer and start off on big bucks in the industry a level 9 masters qualification is needed.

Good luck to anyone taking on a place in this course. For all the negatives I have mentioned I dont regret for a minute doing this course. Very rewarding and opens up all sorts of new opportunities away from the dreaded construction industry!

Anyone have any questions at all just fire away

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Don, PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

You are given the choice of choosing either Electrical Control systems or Electrical energy systems as your major subject. Electrical control is the study of PLC's and automation industry where Electrical Energy prepares you for a career working with plant/renewable energy/distribution systems and that type of thing. Choosing Electrical energy systems used to be a direct ticket to a career in the ESB, but sadly not any more.

Sorry this is wrong, it's changed since you did the course, it's now a joint major in control and energy systems

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boygunting

bassey wrote: »
    I'm one of the 'lucky buggers' that's doing DT009 from the ESB, we went in after phase 4. I've just finished my first year (2nd year of the degree) I'd say nearly the majority of lads in the year are qualified electricians or from the ESB. The course is pretty good with loads of practical work in different areas, most of the lecturers are sound.

The plan for us is to do DT009 and then go into 3rd year of DT021 Honours programme. However I do find the DT009 course fairly challenging so hopefully there are job prospects out there with the degree.

You are one sick lad:eek: after all our batch has gone through this year you say it's pretty good, most lecturers are sound:eek:. Anyway yea I can't really complain cause I was never in to see them anyway hehe.

Anyway for people who are planning to go do this course take note what bassey said above; instead of choosing a major you are now required to do BOTH. That means double the work, everyone was complaining this year and a few good lads dropped out, a few more to be known in a few days when the results are out. It ain't a bad course tbh, it's challenging and I like that. But believe you me you won't have a life.

• Advertisement

boygunting wrote: »
    Anyway for people who are planning to go do this course take note what bassey said above; instead of choosing a major you are now required to do BOTH. That means double the work

No it doesn't. It means the same amount of work, just not as much detail in the subject that would have been a major and more detail in the one that would have been a minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boygunting

2011 wrote: »
    No it doesn't. It means the same amount of work, just not as much detail in the subject that would have been a major and more detail in the one that would have been a minor.

And you know this because? how many hours a week did you get when you did this course? For second year I mean. Do you know how it's like cramming the stuff that's meant to be covered for a whole year into one module? The hours we got were ridiculous and you wouldn't know unless you were there. No days off, early days and late nights just to get assignments which leaves no time to study. That explanation you have there is what you'd hear from lecturers without empathy(can't mention names here but would love to).

boygunting wrote: »
    And you know this because?

I have a lot connections with DIT.

This is the longest running engineering course in Ireland (originally known as WEET). It has evolved so much over the years that it bears very little resemblance to its original carnation. Each change is due to employers requests (such as this one) or to keep up with technology. Every time there is a change students claim the course is tougher. There were no PLCs when the course started! The entire course including exams, assignments and modules are assessed on a regular basis to ensure that it consistency pitched at the same level.

Do you know how it's like cramming the stuff that's meant to be covered for a whole year into one module? The hours we got were ridiculous and you wouldn't know unless you were there. No days off, early days and late nights just to get assignments which leaves no time to study. That explanation you have there is what you'd hear from lecturers without empathy(can't mention names here but would love to).

Been there, done that. Yes it is hard work, I never said it was easy. It is specifically designed to put students under pressure. There are easier courses out there, but guess what, there is not so much demand for students from them.

Got an email this morning from dit offering me a place in DT009 if I want it,also got offered a place in DT003 Automation Engineering by email from them last week. I didn't do an interview or enterance exam either, a bit odd. Still no word from cit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lostlad

Got that offer for Dt009 and dt021 as well this morning..but its for entrance to first year that you accept via the Cao

Got an email from CIT on Friday looking to get an application form filled in for the advanced entry it seemed to be the same as was sent out before just more official looking.

Are any of you doing the bridging modules for Dt009 starting tomorrow?

May aswell do them seem as there is no word from CIT yet about places although they did say during the interview it may not be until the end of July when decisions are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Katieee

My OH has an apprenticeship done (Level 6), could he do an Electrical Engineering Degree with this?

He should be able to gain entry to a level 7 ordinary level degree such as DT009 or perhaps a level 8 honors degree, yes.

Advertisement