Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surely India Must Be The Worlds Hottest Country??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Well if they didnt want to be hot the should of thought about it before being born in India.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm fairly sure people weren't saying that 40 degrees isn't hot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Sure tis no wonder Mother Teresa's face looked like a testicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

very apt user name!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

i lived in the middle east for a while where the temp went up into the fifties a few times, you don't really notice it after a certain point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

You've got an image of Mother Theresa on your testicle? Religious forum for you, they'll love you over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

jester77 wrote: »

very apt user name!

Is it not meant to be hownowbrowncow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

:eek:

The hottest place on Earth as of 2005 is in the Lut Desert in Iran at 70.7 degrees Celsius. This inviting region is abiotic – meaning without life; not even bacteria have been found

http://www.universetoday.com/14508/the-hottest-place-on-earth/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would say the bang of sweat would knock you down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Was in Lanzarote last week - it was over 40 on Tuesday - nearly fookin killed me:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

But its hotter in hell!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

Was in the Sudan a few years ago and it hit 52.

Being Irish I almost self combusted. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Smelliest too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Timistry

meh, get to 50C plus routinely in the outback in oz during the summer. It seems to get worse each summer. You do get used to it after awhile but its still hot as hell! Its only 6C now and i feel like im living in an igloo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Smelliest too

It's cause they don't wipe their arse properly and when mixed with the substantial sweating it leads to that rather distinctive smelly arse smell. Fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Gnobe wrote: »
    people need to realise how rare above 40 is

why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was in Bangalore Bengaluru a few years ago, but that's higher up and not as bad. I was there in August, which actually isn't the hottest time of the year, since it's in the Tropics and doesn't get the standard seasons we do.

The hottest I've personally experienced was just under 50°C in Dubai in late August. There were "mad dogs and Englishmen" out playing golf in that, but my friends and I were in the air-conditioned clubhouse drinking G&Ts. We had come out of the Irish pub in my first night there - yes, they have an Irish pub in Dubai - and the car thermometer read 44°C. At midnight. There was a wall of hot air coming across the desert, carrying all the heat from the day, that was quite unbelievable.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

The hottest place on earth currently is inside my car! Its like sitting in an oven, I'm pretty sure I've lost atleast a few pounds since before I got into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

It's the humidity that kills ya... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I think Ukraine is the hottest country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's cause they don't wipe their arse properly and when mixed with the substantial sweating it leads to that rather distinctive smelly arse smell. Fact

I was thinking more about the fact that garbage dumps are built right next to major cities. Imagine living in a poverty stricken city of 5 million and having the waste of that entire population fester in a massive heap less than a mile away, in temps of 40+ degrees. Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Timistry wrote: »
    meh, get to 50C plus routinely in the outback in oz during the summer. It seems to get worse each summer. You do get used to it after awhile but its still hot as hell! Its only 6C now and i feel like im living in an igloo!

I was in Australia for 5 weeks back in january/february and the hottest I experianced was 38C in Adelaide, on 23rd of january.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201201/html/IDCJDW5002.201201.shtml

I was in Sydney for 9 days and only got to 28C at best. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

so with india being so hot at the moment... doesn't eating curries make ye sweat buckets?

so with india being so hot at the moment... doesn't eating curries make ye sweat buckets?

They need as many buckets as they can get, just for the drinking water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We only freak out at these kind of numbers because we're so fortunate to live in a maritime temperate zone and get no extremes of any sort, ever! Rain, wind, humidity, temperature, pressure are all moderate in Ireland despite perceptions. Most other places on earth either get extreme heat or cold, or both, by our standards, so we're the exception and we're lucky to be!

38 was the most Ive ever seen and i wouldnt want to do it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

people need to realise how rare above 40 is

Above 40 is not in the slightest bit rare.

There are loads of places in the world where Summer temperatures routinely go up into the 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Above 40 is not in the slightest bit rare.

There are loads of places in the world where Summer temperatures routinely go up into the 40s.

It is actually.

Go to wikipedia and check the average maximum temperatures for any given month and you will find that all the cities in America, with the exception of Las Vegas and Arizona, average below 40, usually around 30 in july/august.

In europe it is more so, people often exaggurate temperatures, the hottest place in the whole of europe is Seville and has maximum averages of around 34C in July/August. So having constant temps above 40C is unusual in europe anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Sure its so hot here in Mallow,people are buying Mc Donalds coffee and pouring it over their heads just to cool down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

43 degrees when I was in Varanasi. Must have drank about six litres of water a day.

• Advertisement

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Sure its so hot here in Mallow,people are buying Mc Donalds coffee and pouring it over their heads just to cool down!

We're using molten lava in Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

it rains for like 4 months in india, places like Nagpur average 10-12 inches of rain a month (about 5 times what dublin gets) between july and september so the hottest months are also the wettest

It is actually.

Go to wikipedia and check the average maximum temperatures for any given month and you will find that all the cities in America, with the exception of Las Vegas and Arizona, average below 40, usually around 30 in july/august.

In europe it is more so, people often exaggurate temperatures, the hottest place in the whole of europe is Seville and has maximum averages of around 34C in July/August. So having constant temps above 40C is unusual in europe anywhere.

I wsn't talking about Europe. I'm well aware that 40+ temperatures are not common anywhere in Europe. In many African countries, in the Middle East and in parts of Asia 40+ is not unusual. I'm not suggesting it would be 40 or more every day but that temperatures in the 40 region or above are not 'rare' by any means in these places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Even places like Australia or America don't even get that hot.

As someone living in Arizona I beg to differ. It was 41-43 the last few days and next week we're expecting it to get up to 45. When the actual summer months come it can get up to 50, it will still be in around the 40's during the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

ejmaztec wrote: »

Not hot enough!,the hottest substance know to mankind,is the inside of a toasted cheese sandwich made in one of those sandwich makers...FACT!

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Its pretty hot alright, dunno how they put up with it ,
    http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2533/3967743945_2fb22827e6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

In Djibouti a couple of decades ago & it was +50C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ape X wrote: »
    It's the humidity that kills ya... :pac:

No need for pacmanface this is true!

Have been in Arizona/Nevada at 45 degrees dry heat and its not terrible. Not exactly fun, but not terrible. High humidity anywhere above 30degrees is hard to tolerate. Particularly at night. Can't sleep in high humidty regions for whatever reason. Even on the very odd occasion its gets like that in Ireland in summers can't sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

ejmaztec wrote: »

That's nothing we use that for eye cream in the midlands.

It's so hot here that subatomic particles are starting to disobey all laws of physics. Most people in my village have actually melted.

Later a few of us survivors are hoping to dive head first into a passing comet for some respite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Have been in Arizona/Nevada at 45 degrees dry heat and its not terrible. Not exactly fun, but not terrible. High humidity anywhere above 30degrees is hard to tolerate. Particularly at night. Can't sleep in high humidty regions for whatever reason. Even on the very odd occasion its gets like that in Ireland in summers can't sleep

hottest ever recorded temperature........was recorded in libya....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Central African Republic (C.A.R) must be up there.

• Advertisement

hottest ever recorded temperature........was recorded in libya....
    You didn't have to quote me to state your random fact completely unrelated to everything I said you know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Have been in Arizona/Nevada at 45 degrees dry heat and its not terrible.

but its a killer, humidity makes you sweat which in turn cools your body down, dry heat burns off sweat and any type of moisture quickly, couple of hours on your own with no water or shelter in the desert and you are f**ked, the early pioneers to the american desert southwest died in their thousands, the desert is inhospitable to life, just look at what grows or lives naturally in nevada compared to florida e.g which is very humid

rossie1977 wrote: »
    but its a killer, humidity makes you sweat which in turn cools your body down, dry heat burns off sweat and any type of moisture quickly, couple of hours on your own with no water or shelter in the desert and you are f**ked, the early pioneers to the american desert southwest died in their thousands, the desert is inhospitable to life, just look at what grows or lives naturally in nevada compared to florida e.g which is very humid

Yeah I guess. I just went inside like. Air-con. Gotta love it.

Ruralyoke wrote: »

It's so hot here that subatomic particles are starting to disobey all laws of physics. Most people in my village have actually melted.

Later a few of us survivors are hoping to dive head first into a passing comet for some respite.

Bah, our airconditioner packed up long ago as it couldn't handle the heat. Since then we've been using a small nuclear reactor to keep us cool... Don't think it's managing too well either. Will probably need something bigger and more powerful soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yeah I guess. I just went inside like. Air-con. Gotta love it.

I spent a lot of time in Florida, California and now Arizona. I visited Arizona and Nevada before just for a couple of weeks and the weather was perfect. It was around 30 and as said, it was a dry heat, very nice.

Florida would be in the 30's but sticky and humid. You could only be outside for 10 minutes if it was after 9am.

I was in California when it got up to 40. It was perfect, there was a sea breeze.

Now being in Arizona what you notice that's different here is the air quality is terrible, the dry heat seems to take the moisture out of the air so there's no crispness to the air and you take shorter breaths. If a wind or breeze does hit here it's worse because it's like opening the oven door. Apparently when it gets up to 45 here it's going to be unlike any heat I've ever felt according to people that have lived here for years. It's got up to 43 a few times here already and it's been pretty tough. I'd imagine it's similar in the Middle East..

Ruralyoke wrote: »

I hate liars.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

You didn't have to quote me to state your random fact completely unrelated to everything I said you know...

sorry.....it was completyely unintentional....

Humidity doesn't 'make you sweat'. Heat makes you sweat. It's just that in conditions of very high humidity the air is so high in moisture content already that your body can't evaporate the sweat away so easily, and therefore it pools up on your skin causing you to feel sweaty.

In high temperature, low humidity conditions you're still sweating just as much but it's evaporating away much more quickly so you don't get the same uncomfortable feeling of sweatiness.

Hate high humidity myself. Find it much harder to tolerate than high temperatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

forfuxsake wrote: »
    I think Ukraine is the hottest country.

I have been in Yalta, Crimea on the black sea several times and it hits 40%+ C in June, July and August. So Ukraine is definitely a contender as far as Europe goes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement