Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surely India Must Be The Worlds Hottest Country??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

I'm one of the rare cases that actually prefers high humidity to high temperatures. 37C with high humidity is amazing.

And sorry but this is such a stupid thread title, just because India has high temperatures does not mean that it has to be the hottest country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

It's Djibouti and don't call me Shirley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Was in Portugal in 2006, over 40C three days in a row. I never went outside once

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm one of the rare cases that actually prefers high humidity to high temperatures. 37C with high humidity is amazing.

And sorry but this is such a stupid thread title, just because India has high temperatures does not mean that it has to be the hottest country.

I find I tolerate the heat abroad easier as I am usually in light t-shirts and shorts compared to here where I am in more normal heavier clothes. High-humidity is not nice as I sweat bucket loads and having been to Vegas in August I have experienced "dry heat" also and that isn't much fun either, but is more tolerable.

Also when you are abroad Air-Con is everywhere and this year in Thailand I'd pop into a 7-11 convience store just for a blast of AC, buy a water for 20c (unlike the ripoff €2 here) and continue on. Once it gets warm here in Ireland it is usually high in humidity so it is sticky and horrible, we can't cope with the heat then and most "paddy spec" cars didn't have Aircon up until about 2005, and quite alot still don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Ape X wrote: »
    It's the humidity that kills ya... :pac:
    No need for pacmanface this is true!

Have been in Arizona/Nevada at 45 degrees dry heat and its not terrible. Not exactly fun, but not terrible. High humidity anywhere above 30degrees is hard to tolerate. Particularly at night. Can't sleep in high humidty regions for whatever reason. Even on the very odd occasion its gets like that in Ireland in summers can't sleep
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    but its a killer, humidity makes you sweat which in turn cools your body down, dry heat burns off sweat and any type of moisture quickly, couple of hours on your own with no water or shelter in the desert and you are f**ked, the early pioneers to the american desert southwest died in their thousands, the desert is inhospitable to life, just look at what grows or lives naturally in nevada compared to florida e.g which is very humid
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    Humidity doesn't 'make you sweat'. Heat makes you sweat. It's just that in conditions of very high humidity the air is so high in moisture content already that your body can't evaporate the sweat away so easily, and therefore it pools up on your skin causing you to feel sweaty.

In high temperature, low humidity conditions you're still sweating just as much but it's evaporating away much more quickly so you don't get the same uncomfortable feeling of sweatiness.

Hate high humidity myself. Find it much harder to tolerate than high temperatures.

High Humidity is a big problem. It is true that you can dehydrate very quickly in dry heat - but very few people actually do, because they know to drink water. After all you will get a thirst on ya, thats the bodies response to sweating. At any rate dry heat makes it seem like you are less sweaty, because the sweat evaporates. Humidity just doesn't cause an uncomfortable feeling of sweatiness, it is much more important than that, the bodies cooling system is not working. It is not sweating which makes you cool, it is the evaporation of the sweat from your body, which actually has a fairly amazing cooling effect. Thats exactly how evaporative coolers work. The downside is that the dehydration can kill you, with the exception of the pioneers, it is not really a problem. Drink some water.

I remember in death valley feeling fine, but my entire body was salty after wards. My guess is that the failure to evaporate in high humidity conditions massively overloads the body - unless you are used to it. It feels much hotter, because you are not cooling down. The difference to me is amazing, I would prefer 40 and dry to 27 and humid.

Ireland is humid, as it happens. It can be more uncomfortable than California in a hot summer, and we have very little air conditioning so there is no escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Not hot enough!,the hottest substance know to mankind,is the inside of a toasted cheese sandwich made in one of those sandwich makers...FACT!

:D

have to disagree, hot-rocks from the soap-bar cannabis in the old days were the hottest substance I ever encountered, they were like molten pebbles that would seep through anything, ruining many a pair of shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

High Humidity is a big problem. It is true that you can dehydrate very quickly in dry heat - but very few people actually do, because they know to drink water. After all you will get a thirst on ya, thats the bodies response to sweating. At any rate dry heat makes it seem like you are less sweaty, because the sweat evaporates. Humidity just doesn't cause an uncomfortable feeling of sweatiness, it is much more important than that, the bodies cooling system is not working. It is not sweating which makes you cool, it is the evaporation of the sweat from your body, which actually has a fairly amazing cooling effect. Thats exactly how evaporative coolers work. The downside is that the dehydration can kill you, with the exception of the pioneers, it is not really a problem. Drink some water.

I remember in death valley feeling fine, but my entire body was salty after wards. My guess is that the failure to evaporate in high humidity conditions massively overloads the body - unless you are used to it. It feels much hotter, because you are not cooling down. The difference to me is amazing, I would prefer 40 and dry to 27 and humid.

Ireland is humid, as it happens. It can be more uncomfortable than California in a hot summer, and we have very little air conditioning so there is no escape.

I have to agree because the past few nights have been quite uncomfortable because of the heat at the min, waking up all wet and sticky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Singapore has the worst kind of heat 40+ and 100% humidity .I was in Italy during a heatwave and it was 42 i did not find it too bad to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Its so hot here today,the council are blowing up buildings just to make a breeze!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

anhedonia wrote: »
    have to disagree, hot-rocks from the soap-bar cannabis in the old days were the hottest substance I ever encountered, they were like molten pebbles that would seep through anything, ruining many a pair of shoes.

Serve you right for smoking that shíte...stick with the green ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭blackwhite

After reading the title I am severely disappointed by this thread :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'm confused.

Is the OP asking a question or making a statement? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 joemcg18

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I'm confused.

Is the OP asking a question or making a statement? :confused:

A little from column A and a little from column B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Singapore has the worst kind of heat 40+ and 100% humidity .I was in Italy during a heatwave and it was 42 i did not find it too bad to be honest

The highest ever recorded temperature in Singapore is around 38.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I have to agree because the past few nights have been quite uncomfortable because of the heat at the min, waking up all wet and sticky

and not in a good way.

hiyo!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I wsn't talking about Europe. I'm well aware that 40+ temperatures are not common anywhere in Europe.
    Try the Duoro Valley in Portugal.

Advertisement