Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GIT Source Code management Training?

Options
  • 24-05-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend GIT trainers or courses in Ireland?

Is there anyone on here that would be willing to train a SCM n00b on GIT?
    What would you charge?

I would be building simple web apps with it. Drupal/Wordpress as CMS etc.

Dublin City...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Courses schmourses.

Everything you need here: http://zrusin.blogspot.co.uk/2007/09/git-cheat-sheet.html

Print it out and stick on wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭electrolinks

srsly78 wrote: »
    Courses schmourses.

Everything you need here: http://zrusin.blogspot.co.uk/2007/09/git-cheat-sheet.html

Print it out and stick on wall.

Thanks for that.

Yeah I have 2 choices :

1. Self study. Everything I need is online, Books, Videos etc.
    2. Get someone to teach me

On the first option I haven't made any progress, and I believe that i'll get bette faster and apply myself with option 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Realistically, you're going to have to stick with the self study route.

Perhaps the best guide to DSCM I've read is for Mercurial, but the concepts are the same if you want to map it to Git afterwards. Have a look at hginit.com

Realistically, you're going to have to stick with the self study route.

Perhaps the best guide to DSCM I've read is for Mercurial, but the concepts are the same if you want to map it to Git afterwards. Have a look at hginit.com

I hear Mercurual is good.

I think you may be right Colonel Panic. Self study...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

http://git-scm.com/book this is pretty verbose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The Git book (above) and some actual test projects (hosted on Github for example) and some time and you will be flying.

Git is really easy to get, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, git is a _mega_ tool that allows to do the same thing in many different ways - there is no course that could cover it. If you want the basics there are plenty tutorials. Start using it, if you hit a problem google it or post it here. It's very easy to start using git, but remember*

One of the possible starting points for you: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/315911/git-for-beginners-the-definitive-practical-guide

* that git has been written to prove that you're not as intelligent as you think you are. :D

On the first option I haven't made any progress, and I believe that i'll get bette faster and apply myself with option 2

OK, I missed that. How far did you get? Configuring you details? Setting up a repo? Making changes/commits?

If you get disheartened, use SVN for a day then go back to Git.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    OK, I missed that. How far did you get? Configuring you details? Setting up a repo? Making changes/commits?

Watching a few tutorials, and realizing that it appears to be more trouble to set up than not using a Source Code Manager.

Ive had a few stalled attempts with Windows Tortoise SVN in work (no admin rights URGH!) and GIT and github on OS X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I would recommend SVN straight forward to use. I use AnkhSVN visual studios plugin.

You can host your project with google.code or assembla.com

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Thanks for that.

Yeah I have 2 choices :

If self study is an issue you would probably be better off not in I.T. which is basically all self study.

OP, you gave up before the race begun. Try to create a repo
    git init my_repo

Create a file in the my_repo directory (using your favourite editor)
    vim my_first_file_in_git_repo.html

type something into the file

add it to the repo
    git add my_first_file_in_git_repo.html

and commit it
    git commit -m "This is my first commit"

check in log that you really added it:
    git log

then edit the file or add a new one and commit, and again, and again...

If self study is an issue you would probably be better off not in I.T. which is basically all self study.

True enough but also a wee bit patronising.

I'm simply reaching out to see if an expert could give me paid time so that I don't have to tax my brain. Must be getting old.

The list of things I've learned through self study takes up a good few paragraphs on my CV.

This is one where I wanted to "investigate" accelerated learning. It's just a forum for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

To be honest OP, there is no substitute for doing.

As regards courses, the company I work for got in a trainer from a well known training company and the 2 day course they gave on GIT was useless. We learnt a lot more from actually doing it in projects, and a lot quicker, than the course could ever hope to cover. The course was basically an overview of the GIT commands, something we got from the pro git book anyway

Ok, thanks everyone for the sage advice and educated opinion...

It appears that the best way to learn GIT is to use the free resources people have listed here and build a project.

That's what I will do... Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Perhaps the best guide to DSCM I've read is for Mercurial...
    I would second that.
    Ive had a few stalled attempts with Windows Tortoise SVN in work (no admin rights URGH!) and GIT and github on OS X
    Stay away from that Tortoise thing - you don't need it and I've heard enough people complain about its performance to assume that it's riddled with bugs.

I would recommend you give Mercurial a go:

http://mercurial.selenic.com

The tutorial is very good and you'll be up and running in no time. The commands used are very similar to GIT so you'll have no trouble making the transition.

If you absolutely have to have a GUI, you can rely on IDE add-ins rather than Tortoise - both GIT and Mercurial are well-integrated into NetBeans, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

We use tortoiseSVN without problems, just make sure you have latest version. Also make sure svnserver has latest version.

The problem with the complainers may exist between keyboard and chair tbh.

Similarly, I use TortoiseHG on Win7 and think it's great. I don't really like using IDE integrated source control. Not all the files I use are files I want to edit in Visual Studio or XCode.

Sometimes it's easier to just use the command line though, especially for adding lots of files or quickly committing and pushing changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I use TortoiseHg on XP and find it grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

srsly78 wrote: »
    The problem with the complainers may exist between keyboard and chair tbh.
    I'm just not a fan of unnecessary GUI's I suppose.
    Sometimes it's easier to just use the command line though, especially for adding lots of files or quickly committing and pushing changes.
    Yep - for the general day-to-day (or for beginners), you're only using a handful of commands, so I don't really see the need for tortoise. It's just an unnecessary abstraction in my opinion.

But fair enough, maybe it's not as buggy as I had been led to believe - I apologise if I've caused offence!

Tortoise has its place, I would use it or an IDE plugin in Windows whereas in Linux/osx I would use CL but that is just culture I suppose.

All the same, check out SourceTree on OSX. It handles Mercurial and Git repositories either via it's own embedded copy of the same, or your own installed versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

If you are on windows you might find GitHub for Windows useful and an easier introduction. It includes a full install of git, so I am sure you can choose to use it without using Github's services if you don't want to.

Advertisement