Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling a new concrete floor! Drying time?

• 24-05-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

So we laid a new concrete floor 75mm thick almost 1 month ago. When is it safe to tile it ?

I know a lot of people throw tiles down straight away or after a week or two but I want it done right and its my own house and 1k's worth of tiles so don't want any lifting.

I had windows open for 2 weeks and dehumidifier for last 2 weeks!

The general rule is 1 day per mm but is that overkill?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 power123

6-8 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

We are living in the house without a kitchen for last month so kind of eager to get it finished. If we tiled before the 6 weeks would it be a gauranteed problem or just a slight chance of problems ?

I jsut figure the dehumidifier is costing me 70 quid a week and the longer I leave it its almost the cost of replacing the tiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 power123

Tubs and Tiles.ie
    Tiling on Concrete
    New concrete must be poured at least six weeks before tiling can commence. The surfaces must be flat and free from dirt, dust and grease to ensure a good bond can occur. Uneven floors should be levelled with a floor levelling compound to achieve a perfect finish for your tiles. This is especially important when you are using a narrow grout joint.

hope this helps:D

Advertisement