Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurley Fight In Dublin City

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

The best arguments are still entertaining when it's hard to work out exactly what the two people concerned are rowing about. See above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

IrishAm wrote: »
    Make a great GAA stadium.

Love the seats. The fans collection from away trips.

I think the GAA have enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The mullah ball does seem popular in Dublin alright. Especially during the championship. Never sure if it's down to all the muldoon blood in Dublin. Many otherwise normal people are of mullah descent. All the more reason to ban it and only allow British-descended sports in the cities. Yeoman sports can left to flourish in The Silage Zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

I think the GAA have enough

It will be a GAA stadium.

The homeless will fuck it up for themselves.

An awful lot of people are waiting in the long grass.

One major fuck up is all it will take.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

stovelid wrote: »
    I love everybody although I think Dubliners should be expelled from the city for playing turf muncher sports. Association football and maybe a bit of rugby provide a more acceptable sporting diet for our youth.

Indeed, a spot of cricket too. All those pitches across the country would be great place to set up a wicket, a few stumps and put them to some use.

Fetching cricket balls and providing drinks would also provide rural jobs and keep them out of urban areas. They would even get paid over the table unlike the "volunteer" work in the mullah ball clubhouses.

Win-win, really.

Cricket bats manufactured in the shires wouldn't break so easily too. Weapon of choice should discipline be required..

When the GAA take rightful ownership of South Dublin County Council Stadium, after Homeless FC revert to type, run amok and kick some poor kid half to death, I propose we build a massive 100 foot statue to the late great Mr Kilcoyne.

It would provide many badly needed construction jobs too.

Maybe rename the stadium in his honour too.

A great man.

Then we can see manly and senseless violence restored to its rightful place: on the pitch.

• Advertisement

Then we can see manly and senseless violence restored to its rightful place: on the pitch.

Better than on the LUAS lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If only our skanger population took their inspiration from soccer players we'd see a lot less of this violence. The ambulance service would be run off their feet though

The mullah ball does seem popular in Dublin alright. Especially during the championship. Never sure if it's down to all the muldoon blood in Dublin.

I've always thought Roscommon or Ballinasloe is where that competition should be held. I nearly missed an association football match last Summer due to traffic caused by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Jolly good show, stovelid and dfx. It's just not cricket to use hurleys.

Joking aside, that's what struck me as odd about the video in the first place, Dubs fighting with hurleys? Well I never. Baseball bats, guns, knives all par for the course. They must have misappropriated them from some passing country fellows.

Actually I don't know why there is such a fuss about this minor affray. This stuff is normal entertainment in any town across Ireland on any weekend and has been going on for centuries. I think the traditional term is 'Donnybrook'.

It's not just a Dublin thing.

What many non Dubs don't realise that in an around O'Connell street is where all the 'townies' live. O'Connell street is just their main street where they go to rob tourists and fight each other. People like to style Dublin a 'modern European capital'. Really it's just a big village, Longford on steroids.

I lived most of my life in Dublin but the first time I saw a good old street fight was in Galway. Galwegians would have you believe it never happens there. Although I will say it was a lot more lively than the one in the video. The Guards really got stuck in. No hurleys either.

dfx- wrote: »
    I've always thought Roscommon or Ballinasloe is where that competition should be held. I nearly missed an association football match last Summer due to traffic caused by it.

The route to Ballingobackwards would take more people towards south west Dublin than the route to Croker.

Not the brightest, the homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

xflyer wrote: »
    I lived most of my life in Dublin but the first time I saw a good old street fight was in Galway. Galwegians would have you believe it never happens there. Although I will say it was a lot more lively than the one in the video. The Guards really got stuck in. No hurleys either.

...they have them fancy flick hurleys now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

close your eyes for the first 5 seconds of the clip and its like listening to a tennis match

close your eyes for the first 5 seconds of the clip and its like listening to a tennis match

....bit like the one in Australia a few years back where the Croat and Serb ex-pats in the crowd went at it.

The route to Ballingobackwards would take more people towards south west Dublin than the route to Croker.

Not the brightest, the homeless.

The sporting occasion I was attending wasn't in south west Dublin, it's an area largely free from such native hindrances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Its time to start arming the Guards. They should be going around mad max style and doing a cull of these scummers. Scummers are much worse then Kangaroos and not half as cute.

dfx- wrote: »
    The sporting occasion I was attending wasn't in south west Dublin, it's an area largely free from such native hindrances.

I know you lot have played your "home" games all over the country(even Cork lol) but your current temporary accommodation is based in south west Dublin.

• Advertisement

Got to laugh at the thought of TD being eventual anchor tenants in Tallaght. Seeing as most of the stadium would have to be demolished to accommodate senior Gaelic sports and the small matter of taking and losing a court case against the owners (and AFAIK still not ponying up the costs),I would hazard a guess the lease won't be winging its way any time soon. :)

Jolly good show, stovelid and dfx. It's just not cricket to use hurleys.

Joking aside, that's what struck me as odd about the video in the first place, Dubs fighting with hurleys? Well I never. Baseball bats, guns, knives all par for the course. They must have misappropriated them from some passing country fellows.

Actually I don't know why there is such a fuss about this minor affray. This stuff is normal entertainment in any town across Ireland on any weekend and has been going on for centuries. I think the traditional term is 'Donnybrook'.

It's not just a Dublin thing.

What many non Dubs don't realise that in an around O'Connell street is where all the 'townies' live. O'Connell street is just their main street where they go to rob tourists and fight each other. People like to style Dublin a 'modern European capital'. Really it's just a big village, Longford on steroids.

I assume you can't get nabbed for having a Hurley or baseball bat unless you hit somebody with it..

Got to laugh at the thought of TD being eventual anchor tenants in Tallaght. Seeing as most of the stadium would have to be demolished to accommodate senior Gaelic sports and the small matter of taking and losing a court case against the owners (and AFAIK still not ponying up the costs),I would hazard a guess the lease won't be winging its way any time soon. :)

Who said anything about TD becoming tenants?

When you eventually get evicted, SDCC will have a nice piece of real estate with no available tenant.

Prices are getting cheap.

The GAA never lose. All about the waiting game, kid.

Apparently two innocent young fellahs were going by with hurleys, and some of the fighters just grabbed them of 'em. Poor kids, imagine explaining that to your mammy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

Right outside the tourism office LOVE IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why are that lot not where they should be?

Australia! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

nutty, headwrecking thread. Just can't follow wtf anyone is on about. Did ye all get a belt of a hurley??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Gardai are doing something by studying the CCTV footage. This should be done more quickly and effectively IMO.

http://www.herald.ie/news/cctv-reveals-the-full-horror-on-henry-street-3117876.html

I have noticed a fist fight near Parnell Street sometime last year. It was a nasty experience to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Hurl. A hurl, we call it a Hurl in Dublin. You play hurling with a hurl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The Gardai are doing something by studying the CCTV footage. This should be done more quickly and effectively IMO.

http://www.herald.ie/news/cctv-reveals-the-full-horror-on-henry-street-3117876.html

I have noticed a fist fight near Parnell Street sometime last year. It was a nasty experience to watch.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ZvAq7Iz8Q

Boosting our tourist industry, Aaaaaaaagh.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

HALF AN HOUR BRAWL!?!?!?

If this happened in another country it would of been over in minutes by the police, especially in a city centre.

The Gardai are incompetent to say the least....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure they had to find O'Connell street! Oh wait its full of fast food joints so they really should have already been in the immediate vicinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Liam90 wrote: »

The Gardai are incompetent to say the least....

Nothing new in city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Hurl. A hurl, we call it a Hurl in Dublin. You play hurling with a hurl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurley_(stick)

Nevermind that, we can all agree it should be called a camán.

Who said anything about TD becoming tenants?

When you eventually get evicted, SDCC will have a nice piece of real estate with no available tenant.

Prices are getting cheap.

The GAA never lose. All about the waiting game, kid.

Jaysus - speaks volumes that some people are actively hoping for Shamrock Rovers (or the hoopy brethren, as they're called here) to get booted out of an excellent stadium. I've only started going this season with the young fellah and it's an excellent, family-friendly set-up. To want that all gone out of a cocktail of malice and prejudice is just pathetic.

Oh, and before anyone says I'm a GAA-basher, I was turning that over on the sidelines of the young 'uns match in Ringsend this morning. Though mixing 'bogball' with 'foreign games' gets some peoples' backs up... :rolleyes:

geeky wrote: »
    Oh, and before anyone says I'm a GAA-basher, I was turning that over on the sidelines of the young 'uns match in Ringsend this morning. Though mixing 'bogball' with 'foreign games' gets some peoples' backs up... :rolleyes:

I am a football fan, a Dublin GAA fan and I attend LoI games regularly enough.

Hating Homeless FC is not prejudice, its basic common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Shut up with the sport rubbish you bunch of mooks.

Shut up with the sport rubbish you bunch of mooks.

What the fuck is a mook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Missed your chance to say 'what the fook'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

An arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Anyone got a link to the video? Its been removed from youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Videos of Dublin GAA Training....

if that was in Lee Side he would have had hes head taken off with that swing.

No Wonder Dublin dont win any championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If that was on Lee side they would have gone on strike first ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Discover Dublin...

• Advertisement
Advertisement