Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative Question

• 24-05-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Doing Sive and Casablanca on my summer exam and would like some tips on how to answer the question.

2007 Higher Level English

“The cultural context can have a significant influence on the behaviour
    of the central character/characters in a text.”
    Compare the way in which the behaviour of the central characters in at least
    two of your texts is influenced by the cultural context of those texts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

David086 wrote: »
    Doing Sive and Casablanca on my summer exam and would like some tips on how to answer the question.

2007 Higher Level English

“The cultural context can have a significant influence on the behaviour
    of the central character/characters in a text.”
    Compare the way in which the behaviour of the central characters in at least
    two of your texts is influenced by the cultural context of those texts.

Sorry David, but none of us hear do cultural context. :o

I can give you a basic outline for a comparative q though.

Intro
    -mention texts studied
    -relate back to q
    -mention what you are going to deal with in the q ie for literary genre you'd say narration, flashback etc. for theme or issue you'd say love, relationships etc. for vision and viewpoint you could say futility of war. They are just for my texts though, I dont do CG or any of your texts so you'll have to figure that part out yourself.

Paragraph 1
    -key moment one in each text, the beginning, relate back to q

Paragraph 2
    -key moment two in each text, development in relationships, relate back to q (not sure f this would be your km2, once again I'm only going by my texts)

Paragraph 3
    -key moment three in each text, crisis point, relate back to q

Paragraph 4
    -key moment four, the ending, relate back to q

Conclusion
    -a little comment, some personal response (although make sure you have PR throughout)
    -relate back to q

That's it really. Make sure you compare, sounds basic I know but you need to use phrases like "similarly" "seen in text a and text b" "when we juxtapose text a and text b" and of course you need some personal response "in my opinion" "I felt that" "I believe" etc

Good luck, you have a long year ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Does anyone know how long the comparative question needs to be? I think I wrote about 9 pages for the mock but now that seems like a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the comparative question needs to be? I think I wrote about 9 pages for the mock but now that seems like a lot.

Woah, I think 9 pages is way too much. For myself, anymore than 4/4 and a half and I know I'm just waffling. If you can write 9 pages of clear, concise, relevant points then go for it, I'd just be worried about writing 9 pages in the amount of time given. :o

Advertisement