Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I borked it!

Options
  • 24-05-2012 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

Looks like I've mullered my machine by doing something stupid when changing RAM to check for a fault.

Any sugestions - I have the problem that the CPU I had was socket 1156, I need 7 SATA Ports and X fire.

Looks like I'll have to replace the CPU and mobo any suggestions for a good value deal given the above specs?

Raging at the moment!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Looks like I've mullered my machine by doing something stupid when changing RAM to check for a fault.

Any sugestions - I have the problem that the CPU I had was socket 1156, I need 7 SATA Ports and X fire.

Looks like I'll have to replace the CPU and mobo any suggestions for a good value deal given the above specs?

Raging at the moment!

Thanks in advance.

Just out of curiosity...How exactly did you break it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Something went bang - not sure what but I think the CPU (an i5-750) gave up the ghost due to heat. It's always ran hot but I recently got another 4870 for crossfire and this meant I could start cooking Sunday dinner inside my PC case. I had the side off but I digress...

In an effort to track down why the machine would not get past "Loading Files" for windows reinstall I started swapping components - like a muppet I didn't seat the RAM properly: A burning smell and much swearing later I don;t know whats cooked in the machine and what isn't.

Settled on the rather unoriginal i5-2500K and a ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 as I need the SATA Ports.

Reckon its worth posting a tread here asking for cooling help with my ancient CM Stacker - the old ATX/BTX version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Sorry to hear, I'm not alone then-langered my mobo with a BIOS flash the other day so I know the feeling:(

What's your budget? Assuming a gaming machine of you want crossfire.

I'd advise an i5 2500k and a decent Asus/Asrock Z68/Z77 mobo or similar:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/52888/ASRock+Z68+Pro3+Gen3%2C+Sockel+1155%2C+ATX.article

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/motherboards/asus-p8z77-v-pro-1078650/review

I'm gonna try and warranty the i5-750 back to Intel - I'm raging nbecause the i5 and the Maximus 3 GENE was going to be the platform for a HTPC in the coming months.

Trying to Xfire on a mATX board was probably never a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

That board is a peculiar size, you might be drilling a few holes in your case as it is a bit smaller than the standard ATX board, give a look here-second last paragraph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I sure it wasn't the PSU that went bang. Capacitors can sound like a shot gun bast when they go. Adding the other card could have taken it over the cliff. What make is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It doesn't seem that likely to be the CPU. If you didn't put the RAM back correctly, I'd suspect that or the motherboard. Or the PSU as Sam says. CPUs don't go kaput that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

Having the RAM not inserted properly would not cause this. Most likely a fault with your PSU.

Bang is a figure of speech sorry.

The whole story -

I recently added another 4870 and 16GB of basic Samsung RAM to my machine which is built around a mATX ASUS Maxims 3 GENE. I've 3 LCDs and a plasma running off a long HDMI cable (10m). I was happily watching Band of Brothers on the plasma when the machine crashed. It had been crashing a fair bit. I'd put this down to the massive amount of heat now being generated so I'd taken the side of the case off as a temporary measure. The machine on reboot kept going into "loading windows files" progress bar and then hanging. Thinking something had developed a fault I started swapping components in and out.

I think what I did was not seat a DIMM properly which, when I powered on the machine, cased the burning smell. I've had a PSU go before - you generally know when one has gone! The PSU is still powering on driving fans etc. Its a Coolermaster 1000w Silent Pro.

Hopefully I've just borked the mainboard - however the LED diag lights are saying CPU fault. Any insight is most welcome.

Oh btw the Intel i5-750 has been running hot since I bought it. 70C + I bought a Collermaster V8 cooler for it but it still ran pretty hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

IT would be VERY unuasual for non properly inserted RAM to do that though. Especially on a ASUS motherboard. A faulty PSU may cause all sorts of strange behaviour.

• Advertisement

I've heard its pretty common as it shorts the signal and supplies too much voltage no?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Sorry to revive this thread but am i the only one that noticed the Title of this thread? Bork or Borking means the act of eating fart bubbles in the bath :rolleyes:

What I did was equally as stupid ;)

Advertisement