Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adapting to above knee amputation

Options
  • 24-05-2012 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

My father had a very bad skydiving accident 3 years ago and shattered his femur into about 9 pieces. After 18 operations they haven't succeeded in successfully fixing it as there was bone infection and now a 2 inch gap that seems to refuse to grow. One of the options now is an amputation and he's asked my input into making the decision. I was wondering if anyone here has had a transfemoral amputation and gotten a prosthesis and how did they find adapting? If anyone has any advice or experiences for me I'd very much appreciate it, if he decided to try and save the leg he'd be looking at another 2 operations anyway and to be honest he's mentally exhausted from the whole lot, every time he thinks he can get on with his life he's knocked back into another operation.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

The NRH in Dun Laoghaire is the best place in the country to go for advice and experiences on that subject I am very sure.

I do know from talking to 'amps' over the years that a major downside to the whole 'elective' amputation is the huge issue of phantom pain. It doesn't seem to affect those who have lost (partial or entire) limbs traumatically i.e. sudden and accidental, to nearly the same degree.

I reckon that's a major consideration. But seriously, go out to the NRH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I had a accident years ago and shattered my left leg beyond anything imaginable and after many operations i had to have it amputated high up my thigh.
    If i can help you or you need to know anything i'll be happy to talk via pm.

Andy

Advertisement