Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Music Fest

Options
  • 24-05-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about Waterford Music Fest 2012?

Would've expected them to be building on the success of last years event, but I've heard nothing at all so far.

It's nearly June now - is it even going ahead this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

They kept saying stuff like "just wait and see" and "we've got big news coming your way, line-up announced soon!".

Been quite for nearly two months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

You would think after last year they would've learned their lesson not to go announcing things if they can't follow through. Who knows though hopefully it may go ahead later in the year, looking very doubtful now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well they have to keep some sort of presence to keep people interested in the event of them having something to announce. Probably a bit too late to be able to effectively promote anything for this Summer now though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

This is the worst year yet for music festivals, they're either getting cancelled or postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd imagine the big concert in Phoenix Park has done a lot of damage to it as Calvin Harris, Snoop Dogg and Tinie Tempah would have been the sort of acts they'd have gone after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd imagine the big concert in Phoenix Park has done a lot of damage to it as Calvin Harris, Snoop Dogg and Tinie Tempah would have been the sort of acts they'd have gone after.

Yeah but with no Oxegen this year there's plenty of acts available? I would've seen it as an opportunity for them to push on.

Don't think they need top international acts like those you mentioned either.
    Something along the lines of the Sea Sessions in Donegal are doing would be good. Their lineup with the likes of Happy Mondays, Kaiser Chiefs, Run DMC and the Coronas would surely draw a decent crowd in Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

blue-army wrote: »
    Yeah but with no Oxegen this year there's plenty of acts available? I would've seen it as an opportunity for them to push on.

Don't think they need top international acts like those you mentioned either.
    Something along the lines of the Sea Sessions in Donegal are doing would be good. Their lineup with the likes of Happy Mondays, Kaiser Chiefs, Run DMC and the Coronas would surely draw a decent crowd in Waterford?

Totally agree, this year was open for them to make a bigger name for themselves. I think acts that are "just" under the 'mainstream banner' would be the way to go for them too. Plenty of Irish acts would be happy to perform I would say, hope if the organisers do actually have something planned that they haven't left it too late. Sea Sessions, Strawberry Fest etc have been advertised on radio for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

It's not going ahead this year which is a shame because I really enjoyed last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Maybe they're taking a year out to do some research, get in some more experience with smaller events etc. I'd say they'll be back with a new, improved and more polished show next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

Maybe they're taking a year out to do some research, get in some more experience with smaller events etc. I'd say they'll be back with a new, improved and more polished show next year.

Last year was rubbish, I didn't care tho cos I got in for free but it was badly run by fellas who really haven't a clue. Fellas just trying to make a name for themselves. Last years "festival" was fairly awful. Some rubbish acts and even worse organisation. I pity the poor fools who forked out nearly €60 to see it. I walked in for free and felt cheated as I knew I would never get those 5 or 6 hours of my life back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Bit harsh

Rubbish acts? By no means would they be my cup of tea but have no problem admitting they were pretty big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

To be honest dublin is an hour away on the Motorway, I would prefer go see someone there than go to the rsc or anywhere in Waterford really. Plus Dublin can attract way better acts than Waterford can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

deisedave wrote: »
    To be honest dublin is an hour away on the Motorway, I would prefer go see someone there than go to the rsc or anywhere in Waterford really. Plus Dublin can attract way better acts than Waterford can.

Nice to see you're 100% behind your city there, "Déise" Dave.

Maybe we should just call you Dave?

Well with that attitude it can...

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Bit of a joke that all along this year they've been saying stuff like "Looking forward to Music Fest '12" "roll on Music Fest '12", etc.

At least be honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

deisedave wrote: »

Man's just been honest ,And at least with Dublin you know events are a hell of alot more likely to go ahead .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

fricatus wrote: »
    Nice to see you're 100% behind your city there, "Déise" Dave.

Maybe we should just call you Dave?

TBF he has a point,

It's one thing saying he'd go to an Aslan concert in Dublin over an Aslan concert in town. What Deisedave is saying I'd imagine is he prefer to see Mumford &Sons or the chilles in Dublin over Aslan in Waterford which is perfectly understandable

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anyway, regardless of the cock-ups etc. you have to give respect to anybody who goes to so much effort to have a gig of any description here in Waterford. Its good for the local economy and good for local tourism.

We can all do things better. Its a learning curve. Concerts are very expensive to run - between the bands, the venues, marketing, associated costs. I'm working closely with a smaller four day festival in Tramore and I can see the costs for a lot of this and I know how tough it is. So I applaud Big Slick & Crew.

Advertisement