Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Weekend

Options
  • 24-05-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Just wondering where to go and what to do at the weekends. We always have great intentions of heading off for the day, but are then faced with the usual question - where is there to go?

So what does everyone do and where do you go? Ideas for sunny days and also wet days that are suitable for teenagers within an hours drive of Sligo town. Is there any hidden gems in the area of places to go with the family and a picnic. Walks, beaches, parks etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

This thread might help although it's aimed at younger children: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78559411

Keep an eye on the Upcoming events thread. There is a Stand Up Paddle event for this weekend posted there.

I was told about a great walk at Gortarowey (out by Drumcliff), went up there this week, a beautiful place.

Also Deer Park in Calry, another beautiful walk, fab views.

Sligo Indoor Airsoft and Archery is great for teens. Also Sligo Golf Academy (they also do archery).

Markree Stables, great for all ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

I'd say picnics myself if the weathers good. Out walking in wet weather gear if the weather's bad. We're spoilt around here with places to go you dont really need to spend a lot if you're chilling out with the kids.

Apologies if thats a general non specific comment.

Suggestions so, go camping at Aughris, or visit the Donkey Sanctuary at Castlebaldwin. The donkey sanctuary is free, (donations are not refused I'm sure).

We were shown around by the volunteers and were told all about each donkey and pony.

I found the donkey sanctuary to be an awesome place to visit... You'll understand yourself if you visit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

You might try Lough Key Forest Park just outside Boyle, good walks there. They also have a new Forest Adventure activity, website is here www.zipit.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

There is loads of great walks around Sligo .. beautiful one around the base of Benbulbin at Barnaribbon, Slish Wood and Hazelwood. The Farmers market on Sat Morning is nice for some picnic stuff (nice coffee and french bread/pastries!)

The Glen is a bit of a magical place .. about halfway up the Glen Road past Strandhill but its a bit short! .. Carrowkeel is a beauitful walk ..you can vist the donkey santuary as well ... then there is the Eagles Flying place out in Ballymote.

Mag .. where is Gortarowey? is that the riverwalk beside the drumcliff graveyard?

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I love the glen Sean. Knocknarea is always good to pass some time followed by a few pints in Strandhill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    There is loads of great walks around Sligo .. beautiful one around the base of Benbulbin at Barnaribbon, Slish Wood and Hazelwood. The Farmers market on Sat Morning is nice for some picnic stuff (nice coffee and french bread/pastries!)

The Glen is a bit of a magical place .. about halfway up the Glen Road past Strandhill but its a bit short! .. Carrowkeel is a beauitful walk ..you can vist the donkey santuary as well ... then there is the Eagles Flying place out in Ballymote.

Mag .. where is Gortarowey? is that the riverwalk beside the drumcliff graveyard?

Sean

Continue past Yeats Tavern for about 3kms and you'll see a lovely old thatched cottage on your right. Turn right there and continue straight on all the way up by the corner of the mountain and you'll come to the car park. Fabulous walk in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Coney Island for a picnic: one of the most beautiful beaches in Ireland over on the west side of the island. Make sure you check the tide times though (http://pocketsizetides.com/index.php#tides)!!
    A quick scoot up Knocknarea is worth any amount fo sweat when you get to the top if it's a clear day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think the view from Deerpark is nicer than Knocknarea, it's not as steep a walk either.
    Gortarowey is the third turn on the right after Yeats Tavern. As Sean said carry on right up that road. It's a lovely walk and great views. I did a blog about it: http://magnumlady.com/2012/05/22/gortarowey/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Actually OP, the weather for this weekend is perfact to climb Ben Bulben. Now theres a view and a half on a clear day :cool:
    Turn right at the old creamery and take the first left then. Continue to the top and park up. Will take about an hour or so to climb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement