Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESBN voltage supply drops, surge protection

Options
  • 24-05-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I've mentioned on this forum before that I've had to replace several electronic components within the controller/soft-start, and other electronics (capillary relay switches) in our Ground Source Heat Pump.

The man who services the GSHP strongly suspects occurrence of swings of low voltage within the mains supply from the ESB.
    I've ordered the "black box" to do a fortnight sample of the voltage line quality.
    A neighbour who is very close to me did the same 3 months ago and the voltage supply was erratic and many incidents of it undershooting beyond the tolerable limits within the EU standard enforced here by the Energy regulator.

From a practical point of view... I am wondering...
    Do fuseboard surge protectors protect against low voltage conditions or ... are they more for lightning strikes and supply surges ??
    I ask, because I have one installed and it has never tripped/broke the circuit.
    Is it the case that low voltage where line quality is poor is difficult to protect against and only cure is to get supply line quality issue identified and remedied.

Mind you, I have a boosting transformer (cylindrical assembly) on the pole which supplies the main incoming /ducted supply to the house & garage.
    The neighbour to my west who is 100m or so away has one on his supply pole as well.
    ESBN tell me I have 32kVA enhanced so they would be extremely surprised if I am having voltage quality issues.
    The only other issue I wonder about is the quality of the ducted cable between pole and house and whether it might be compromised in some way ... ?

I will only know the real situation once the blackbox is installed and report is sent back to me...

I am interested in feedback on this from you guys ?...

—ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 westom

ifconfig wrote: »
    I've mentioned on this forum before that I've had to replace several electronic components within the controller/soft-start, and other electronics (capillary relay switches) in our Ground Source Heat Pump.
    Voltage variations remains ideal power to all electronics. Either the electronics work completely normal. Or shut off.

Motorized appliances (ie heat pump) are at greater risk. Therefore power utilities maintain their voltage to tighter tolerances.

Read the spec numbers for any fuseboard protector. If it protects from a low voltage, then numbers in its specifications say so. Or someone making that recommendation must cite the relevant spec number. Protector circuits in a power board typically do nothing - remain inert - until 230 volts exceeds maybe 500 volts.

Other anomalies may exist. Harmonics, noise, power factor, etc. The fuseboard does nothing for them either.

Before even considering a solution, first define the problem. Nothing solves all anomalies despite popular myth and advertising that recommends a fuseboard protector or UPS.

Identifying voltage quality issues is quite simple. Are your incandescent bulbs varying in intensity? If not, your voltage is rock solid stable even for motorized appliances. Move on to other suspects - other electrical anomalies.

Advertisement