Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you suggest interesting bios/autobios

Options
  • 24-05-2012 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Am in a book club, and would anyone have any interesting biographies/autobiographies to read? My choice is next and am not a big reader, but enjoy these types of books.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Hoofball

I don't usually read a huge number of these books but some that immediately jump to mind and may be relatively easy reads would be any of Spike Milligans biography books or else Michael J Fox's two books (Lucky Man and the second one is Always Looking Up). I've read a few football "bios" but don't think they would suit a book club. HTH....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks for your suggestions!! Well appreciated and will take them into consideration :-).
    Any one any more suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 here_goes

Andre Agassi - Open

Biography of Robert Enke German football goalie who took his own life

What field are you looking in? Sport/music/politics ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Alex Haley (Malcolm X was involved in the writing of the book though).

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If this is a Man - Primo Levi

Everyone should read that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

No Irish, no dogs, no blacks- John Lydon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Like some others on here, I dont really read biographies but I did pick up "Starman: The Truth Behind the Legend of Yuri Gagarin" when I was away and found it riveting. A very enjoyable, exciting, easy read. Highly recommended.

Although Im lead to believe that "A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts" is even better again. Must pick that up...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Hoofball

Just though of another couple, it's been a long while since I read a biography. I have a few on my "to read" shelves which I need to get to.

Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi

Gangsters And Goodfellas: Wiseguys...and Life on the Run
    Henry Hill & Gus Russo

And a few sports ones if they would suit

Back from the Brink: The Autobiography
    Paul McGrath

Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino
    Paul Kimmage

and Roy Keanes book.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Malcom X for me too.

Also, Tom Crean - Antarctic explorer. great story

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

I haven't read Endgame: Bobby Fischer's remarkable rise and fall by Frank Brady, but I think I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I did read
    Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling by Bret Hart.
    I'm not a wrestling fan, I have watched it, but this book was just a riveting read.
    Unputdownable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

David Niven's autobiography,Brilliant read ,cant remember name of it.
    Dirk Bogarde's alo a rattling good read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

This might sound a bit different and difficult on the surface but it's an interesting book and is funny in parts - Father and Son by Edmund Gosse.

The writer belonged to the strict Plymouth Brethren and it's mostly about his relationship with his father, and his father's efforts to bring him to this faith. The writer resisted. The father was an interesting character, a scientific writer who was a contemporary of Darwin. His faith as a creationist was at odds with evolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_and_Son_(book)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Have you considered Hugh Leonard's excellent pair of Home Before Night and Out After Dark? Excellent books about growing up in Ireland during the 1940s-60s, simultaneously sad and hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

dcmm wrote: »

The Moons a Balloon
    I read it a long time back and enjoyed it.Perfect for a book club IMO.
    The underlying theme, of course, is David Niven's life and, as one reviewer has said elsewhere, this book leaves you wishing you had met this man. Me too.
    +1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Moons-Balloon-David-Niven/dp/0140239243

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

katie piper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Guerrilla days in Ireland - Tom Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd not be a fan of biographies but almost accidentally found myself buying a copy of Young Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore and loved it.

For anyone else who's read the book, Simon posted on his FB page yesterday that it's being made into a 6 part mini series.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭louise5754

Love bios of old Hollywood stars they all led such interesting lives and of course there is all the scandal ;) People like Clark Gable, Judy Garland, Rita Hayworth etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know by Sir Ranulph Fiennes. The guy ran 7 marathons in seven consecutive days 4 months after getting a double by pass. He climbed Mount Everest at the age of 65 and is one generally mad bugger but he’s not in any way macho about his adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

The autobiography of Malcolm X - as told to Alex Haley

My Losing Season - Pat Conroy

I know why the Caged bird sings - Maya Angelou

These books opened up my mind. Very interesting. Well worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Confessions of an actor - Olivier
    Whats it all about - Michael caine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Another vote for David Niven and Hugh Leonard's autobiographies.

Keith Richards autobiography 'Life', is a surprisingly entertaining (and coherent) read. Every few pages there's another crazy rock'n'roll anecdote.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I would highly recommend American Prometheus: The Triumph and The Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and Martin Sherwin.

Oppenheimer was the theoretical physicist who overseen the development of the first atomic weapons, leading right up to the bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. But he was so much more than that. He was in fact a polymath, with a deep interest in Eastern philosophy, amongst many other things. He was later caught up in the communist witchhunts of the 1950's, and it is that part of his story that is most gripping. It really does read like a thriller at times. A thoroughly gripping story, and the best biography I have ever read, and I've read a good many of them in my time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I would highly recommend American Prometheus: The Triumph and The Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and Martin Sherwin.

Oppenheimer was the theoretical physicist who overseen the development of the first atomic weapons, leading right up to the bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. But he was so much more than that. He was in fact a polymath, with a deep interest in Eastern philosophy, amongst many other things. He was later caught up in the communist witchhunts of the 1950's, and it is that part of his story that is most gripping. It really does read like a thriller at times. A thoroughly gripping story, and the best biography I have ever read, and I've read a good many of them in my time.
    Nice one, I'll defo be giving this a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 clarabows

My Wicked Wicked Ways by Errol Flynn, his charisma leaps off the page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

Hidden Soldier by Padraig O'Keeffe

Unbelieveable biography about Irish chef that runs off and joins the foreign legion for anyone interested in life in the military or hard as nails men.
    Imagine an ex legionnaire drinking in a pub and telling mental stories about his life in the military. Thats basically the style of the book and its hard to put down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 _coinin_

dcmm wrote: »
    Dirk Bogarde's alo a rattling good read

I picked up one of David Niven books in Cork in April just by chance. It is so interesting. Its called 'The moon's a balloon' the other book is called 'Bring on the empthy horses'

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Grembollino

Hector Berlioz by David Cairns. A long read in two volumes. But what a guy! What a life!

Even if you dont have an interest in music.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Full Time. The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino.
    Really good read and one non sports fans will enjoy too .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Passing person

Hi people ! A question, not a suggestion. What's a decent bio of Mark Twain, including some decent context of society at the time? Many thanks.

Advertisement