Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reader for exams

• 24-05-2012 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hello,

I've been asked to act as a reader for a student for his JC Irish exam. I've never done this before :eek:, and was wondering
    1. What exactly do I have to do-just read?
    2. Is it just me and him in the room, or will there be an exam person (superintendent) there too?
    3. Does the boy get extra time in his exam because he has a reader?

Is there anything else I should know? (Worried that I'll mess up!)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Hi there, lots of threads on this already if you type it into search boards.
    Link to reader info page on this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78475795

All you need do is read. If they ask you to read something again you do. You'll get to meet them before hand. Don't worry, you won't mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Thanks a million Ms. M

Forgot to search for it before I posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Meh, wouldn't expect you to, I was just too lazy to paste original link again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

plumpote wrote: »
    Hello,

I've been asked to act as a reader for a student for his JC Irish exam. I've never done this before :eek:, and was wondering
    1. What exactly do I have to do-just read?
    2. Is it just me and him in the room, or will there be an exam person (superintendent) there too?
    3. Does the boy get extra time in his exam because he has a reader?

Is there anything else I should know? (Worried that I'll mess up!)
    Thanks!

i hope you can read Irish, otherwise the kid is getting a bum deal, which happens a lot. same with someone reading French or German, who has no idea how to pronounce the words.

Don't worry, I'm doing it as the person he has for the rest of the exams isn't an Irish speaker. Wouldn't dream of it if I wasn't up to the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

Usually if a student needs a reader they are exempt from doing languages. Dyslexic students come to mind.

Well this person must be an exception

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭limerickhurl

Hi,

Does anyone know the rate of pay for reading for an exam? Is it all the one, or do VEC's differ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

As far as I know, it used to be €110 a day regardless of how long you were there, now it's €56 a session, as in a max of 110 a day, which certainly makes more sense. If you are a teacher already getting paid for the summer holidays, I imagine the tax on it will e fairly high though.

Advertisement