Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work and how many hours do u work?

Options
  • 24-05-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

There is a guy at work who does not miss the opportunity to tell any one who is listening that he goes home and is on the wrk computer until 12 checking his emails .
    I get in at 8 to avoid traffic and am normally there till 7 . 11 hour day !! We get paid for a 39 hour week . I am not the only one though that's the thing . So although u have the job and are damn grateful for it - u notice that work are using the economy thing to their advantage ...

Is any one feeling that since the " recession" start that u now feel under pressure to do more hours at work , and it's seen as not been pro active not to do your "share" like every one else . Or put in the time .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bringbackrafa

In my job nobody really stays late apart from the managers because its retail, however some people would be saying they only took half a lunch etc .Really annoys me as if they are trying to suggest their better workers than me. I work hard but during my lunch work is the last thing on my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you work for free you are crazy. Naturally companies are taking advantage of people during these difficult times, you just cant afford to make it easy on them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well here in Switzerland we work 45 hours per week, but not a minute more, unless you are on the clock. Overtime is payed at a rate of 125% up to 7:00pm and 150% there after. Most companies pay OT to management as well.

Doing OT on a regular basis is frowned upon as it suggest either you or your manager is not up to the job! Either way, you'll find yourself and your manager being invite for a little chat with HR or the owner in a small company if it happens more that a few times per year.

Here is the thing, if you work OT here, the company is obliged to pay for it, even if they did not ask you to do it, so they are motivated to make sure that you do not hit them with a big bill at the your leaving do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Ya u are right it is crazy to be doing extra hours . However a lot if the time it's because of conference calls that are in diff time zones and every thing revolves around the americas .
    Ya it's true some are just annoying saying that they are doing extra hours just to give impression they are better . Prob on facebook instead of doing their job during their normal hours .. Same guy that was boasting last week took off early today no doubt Bec the sun was out .
    Work life balance !! Any way enjoy the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

I thought it was fairly common to work extra without being paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I work a 40 hour week monday to friday. Sometimes I would be asked to work a saturday but I don't mind as I need the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    There is a guy at work who does not miss the opportunity to tell any one who is listening that he goes home and is on the wrk computer until 12 checking his emails .
    I get in at 8 to avoid traffic and am normally there till 7 . 11 hour day !! We get paid for a 39 hour week . I am not the only one though that's the thing . So although u have the job and are damn grateful for it - u notice that work are using the economy thing to their advantage ...

Is any one feeling that since the " recession" start that u now feel under pressure to do more hours at work , and it's seen as not been pro active not to do your "share" like every one else . Or put in the time .

Working 50 hours on a 39 hour contract is a lot just to stay in a job. If you're not going for promotion you need to ask yourself if you are pushing yourself harder than the money allows for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

eoins23456 wrote: »
    I thought it was fairly common to work extra without being paid.

It partly depends if you're salaried or not, and what the promotional / learning prospects of the job are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I do think it depends on the job. Eg my partner has a job with a lot of strict deadlines. Coming up to a deadline he could be working til 7 or 8 to get everything done on time, but the rest of the time he finishes at 5/5.30. If he was working until 7 or 8 every night there's no way he'd stay in the job as he would have no home/work balance but he doesn't mind putting in the hours when they are really needed. He's been promoted twice in the last 2.5 years so obviously the company appreciate what he's doing which is again a big factor. If you're putting in all those extra hours and not getting anywhere I think you should ask yourself is it worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

In my job, I'm meant to work 39 hours a week, I often work more. However, I get paid double time for anything over that.

Management often work hours longer than 39 during busy periods, they get time in lieu for this. So in reality, they work 39 hours a week, averaged out over the year.

You would be mad to work anymore than you are paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Some good comments....

Most of the comments seem to be pretty negative as if all those that put in the house are losers somehow....

But I wonder, is there no-one else here that actually likes their jobs a lot, gets their kicks, challenges etc from their jobs?

I really get a lot out of my job and I don't mind putting in the hours when needed, but even then I still get more out of it than I put in. Perhaps I am just lucky that I have a job that I like and a good balance with the rest of my life.

There is an old saying "The person that loves their job will never work a day in their lives"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

And 'he who works for free will never be out of work'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Frynge wrote: »
    And 'he who works for free will never be out of work'

Ahh, the folks complaining 'cos they cannot get a Jobridge or CE placement might disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

im employed for 39hours over 5 of the 7days could do 60 hours over 6 of the 7days i dont get paid for overtime and never get out of work on time any evening and i dont get paid for it but when it comes to holidays i get extra days so it suits me better.
    joys of retail management :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

up to 50+ hours a week depending on project phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

45-55 hours a week. Shift work. Averages out at 40 a week over a year. That's all we get paid for, 40 hours. The rest of it is banked and we are rostered. 10 hour shifts. Unpaid breaks. All our holidays are on the roster so we cannot choose our holidays, or if you need a day off you've to get a swap or work it back the same day within 3 weeks (meaning you could literally be working 9 days straight). Early starts include 4am (I live close by and get out of bed at 2.30am, others further away have to get up even earlier), 5am, 6am. 12 hour Night shifts (4 in a row). Only one weekend in 3 off, soon to become one in 5. Zero work life balance. I don't see my friends for weeks on end.

Sometimes only 1 day off between two 4-day shifts (i.e. we work 80 hours over 9 days). High responsibility job, constant pressure and we are tested and audited continuously by the company, dept. of transport and EU regulators. Failure of one of these tests could mean dismissal from your job. We are tested more than doctors or nurses (one of the most tested industries in the world) - people literally watching you as you work, trying to catch you out. Pay is terrible considering the hour and work involved. High staff turnover, sickness a big problem (exhaustion, stress and back problems mainly). People have literally collapsed in work.

Still, it's a job! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Elessar wrote: »
    37-55 hours a week. Shift work. Averages out at 40 a week over a year. That's all we get paid for, 40 hours. The rest of it is banked and we are rostered. 10 hour shifts. All our holidays are on the roster so we cannot choose our holidays, or if you need a day off you've to get a swap or work it back the same day within 3 weeks (meaning you could literally be working 9 days straight). Early starts include 4am (I live close by and get out of bed at 2.30am, others further away have to get up even earlier), 5am, 6am. 12 hour Night shifts (4 in a row). Only one weekend in 3 off, soon to become one in 5. Zero work life balance. I don't see my friends for weeks on end.

Sometimes only 1 day off between two 4-day shifts (i.e. we work 80 hours over 9 days). High responsibility job, constant pressure and we are tested and audited continuously by the company, dept. of transport and EU regulators. Failure of one of these tests could mean dismissal from your job. We are tested more than doctors or nurses (one of the most tested industries in the world) - people literally watching you as you work, trying to catch you out. Pay is terrible considering the hour and work involved. High staff turnover, sickness a big problem (exhaustion, stress and back problems mainly). People have literally collapsed in work.

May I ask what is it that you do??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

anbrutog wrote: »
    May I ask what is it that you do??

Airport Security Screening.

EDIT: Oh don't forget, angry passengers screaming blue murder is almost a daily occurrence. And tiredness. We are constantly tired. Oh, and no bank holiday pay and no allowance for nights (other staff in the airport are on the same rate of pay and don't do nights). And first day you're sick is unpaid. And even one sick day in a year will go against you in your review i.e. no pay rise for you (if we get any at all, max is 1.5%). And no benefits such as VHI or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

You can live to work or work to live, while those that live off the backs of your hard work relax and count their wealth. It's worker Vs worker in a race to the bottom.

race_to_the_bottom_472615.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

50+ hours per week, more if travelling for work.

I get "travel" days as rest if I am travelling nights/weekends, and time off in lieu of bank holidays, now I love my job and don't mind that but it gets wearing after a while, not having the same time off as my partner/family/friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Airport Security Screening.

EDIT: Oh don't forget, angry passengers screaming blue murder is almost a daily occurrence. And tiredness. We are constantly tired. Oh, and no bank holiday pay and no allowance for nights (other staff in the airport are on the same rate of pay and don't do nights). And first day you're sick is unpaid. And even one sick day in a year will go against you in your review i.e. no pay rise for you (if we get any at all, max is 1.5%). And no benefits such as VHI or anything.

Its a tough job and I do not envy you
    Jobs with low barriers to entry are often tough on pay or conditions ,sometimes both. Effort never really comes into it, but that is capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

in the job i just left i worked 8-10 hour days when not too busy and up to 12 hours when busy. i moved country for the company at just over a week's notice and when i did, management tried to bully me into not taking sick leave when i should have been hospitalised (according to my GP when I got home). another girl was sent home from work after i left for being ill! i got paid for 39 hours a week, most of us never take a full lunch but it's built into our timesheets that an hour is deducted unpaid (in case the company are audited and our timesheets scrutinised).

on one occasion i let my line manager know that i would be fifteen minutes late for work due to train times as i usually worked in a different office. when i arrived fifteen minutes late, an email was sent around to the whole multi-office/national company to explain how important it was to arrive on time and how being late is unacceptable etc.

after three and a half years the nice guys on the team i work with gave me a big thanks and a lovely present. the guy who sent the email about tardiness and the guys who gave me the 60 hour work load and got me to move country (or else, have no job!) didn't even give me a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

I'm on flexi time with a par of 139 hours on the clock over 4 weeks. Usually I'll do about 7 hours above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

in the job i just left i worked 8-10 hour days when not too busy and up to 12 hours when busy. i moved country for the company at just over a week's notice and when i did, management tried to bully me into not taking sick leave when i should have been hospitalised (according to my GP when I got home). another girl was sent home from work after i left for being ill! i got paid for 39 hours a week, most of us never take a full lunch but it's built into our timesheets that an hour is deducted unpaid (in case the company are audited and our timesheets scrutinised).

on one occasion i let my line manager know that i would be fifteen minutes late for work due to train times as i usually worked in a different office. when i arrived fifteen minutes late, an email was sent around to the whole multi-office/national company to explain how important it was to arrive on time and how being late is unacceptable etc.

after three and a half years the nice guys on the team i work with gave me a big thanks and a lovely present. the guy who sent the email about tardiness and the guys who gave me the 60 hour work load and got me to move country (or else, have no job!) didn't even give me a call.

God sometimes wouldn't u love to tell them where to stick their job..
    Then of course you would suffer no job!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I worked in companies big and small for 15 years and now run my own business for the last ten.

I can honestly say my way of working has not changed, you do what you have to do to get the job done, if that means working a weekend to hit a Monday deadline then you do it, getting paid or not should not come in to it for salaried people.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭soupdrinker

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I worked in companies big and small for 15 years and now run my own business for the last ten.

I can honestly say my way of working has not changed, you do what you have to do to get the job done, if that means working a weekend to hit a Monday deadline then you do it, getting paid or not should not come in to it for salaried people.

Don't agree with this, if your work load is too high for you to do you job within your contracted hours, then the employer should be willing to employ extra staff or at least pay current staff for the extra hours they work.

Where I work, people who left are not replaced so everyones workload is increased. People regularly come in early, leave later, work through lunches etc but don't get paid - while everyone is lucky to have a job, this is taking advantage of the workers. Noone has a problem doing additional work/hours but this should be reflected in their salary. The employer is already saving by not taking on additional staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Joe10000 wrote: »

No; I don't really agree. There are people who backpile extra projects & tasks onto others & never factor the load this brings to them .
    The sloppyjoes never are targeted or pushed because managers & upper managers know the standard will be poor ( & cause them more work) or just not get done. The consequence is that the few carry the load & are burned ; or the whole office is overworked to capacity & subsequently overloaded with the inevitable bitching & backfighting this incurrs; loss of teamwork/morale/anarchism: etc..
    Vicious cycle stuff.

The company owners/ directors reap the full financial rewards (or losses). There is a llot more to play for in terms of risk & reward; that is their choice; on a salary ( not profit share) I should not have to pay the risk for their reward. A contract of employment is just that ; a contract. The reason it is obligatory for the hours and terms of conditions to be included is because of the amount of exploitation there has bern in not having this laid down.

The country today in the private sector is riddled with it .and ultimately those that arnt prepared to put up with it long term have to "move", 0r suffer. Moving is no longer really an option. So the opportunity for exploitation continues. That's why the courts are stuffed to capacity with claims .

The day of indentured employment / slavery is supposed to be long over ; but is well alive & active in Ireland . Timesheeted/clocked staff & retail:shift workers have some hope ; for for many this continuous exploitation is a way of life. I'm not talking about one off projects or over-runs; but continuous understaffing or lack of capacity planning or workload calculation when deciding roles/undertaking projects/allowing un-covered maternity leave, deciding new goals/strategic objectives etc.

I'm always saying to myself if I work from 730-730, 5 days a week on a 40 hour contract ; and do 1 in 2 or 3 Saturday " overtime" ) unattainable project completion targets/ additional " just do " projects; conference calls to US/travel. If I work a 55 or 60 hour week regularly; on a 40 hour contract with no hope of TIL or extra holidays; I'm really not working in such a great well paid job( cos the 20% extra I have to work to keep this "good" job in effect a 20%+ reduction in my overall salary. I might as well go for a junior " no responsibility" role and leave at 5. And have a family life.

O. And don't get me started on maternity leave, or smokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I mean't in the normal course of events, I don't agree with people having to do double the workload because the company won't hire adequate resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

45-55 hours a week. Shift work. Averages out at 40 a week over a year. That's all we get paid for, 40 hours. The rest of it is banked and we are rostered. 10 hour shifts. Unpaid breaks. All our holidays are on the roster so we cannot choose our holidays, or if you need a day off you've to get a swap or work it back the same day within 3 weeks (meaning you could literally be working 9 days straight). Early starts include 4am (I live close by and get out of bed at 2.30am, others further away have to get up even earlier), 5am, 6am. 12 hour Night shifts (4 in a row). Only one weekend in 3 off, soon to become one in 5. Zero work life balance. I don't see my friends for weeks on end.

Am honestly in awe reading this! Put me back in my "complaining about work" box.

I normally work till 5.30, but if required I will stay on for a bit. Few weeks ago I was there till 8pm. But normally we can take the few hours back when we are not busy (i.e. go at 4/4.30). We dont get paid for O/T.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Am honestly in awe reading this! Put me back in my "complaining about work" box.

I normally work till 5.30, but if required I will stay on for a bit. Few weeks ago I was there till 8pm. But normally we can take the few hours back when we are not busy (i.e. go at 4/4.30). We dont get paid for O/T.

Quite common in Ireland now. It keeps the rich rich I suppose.
    Ireland's wealthiest people have actually increased their wealth substantially in this 'recession'. No recession for them.

Keeping the average wage as low as possible, keeps the rich, rich, and maintains the delusion of free choice and freedom for the people who actually have to carry out the work the idle rich profit from :
    Wage slavery refers to a situation of quasi-voluntary slavery where a person's livelihood depends on wages, especially when the dependence is total and immediate. It is a term used to draw an analogy between slavery and wage labour, and to highlight similarities between owning and employing a person. Wage slavery is used to maintain economic exploitation and social stratification, with the former primarily as unequal bargaining power between labour and capital. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wage_labor

Advertisement