Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein appealing to the lowest common denominator

• 24-05-2012 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

Consistently they seem to target their propaganda at the weak and/or uneducated. I remember during the Lisbon treaty they had a billboard in Tallaght stating "remember 1916", which had sweet fck all to do with anything.

Today I saw the following sign and it really annoyed me because it seems that a lot of educated people seem to be swinging in the Sinn Fein direction using the excuse of 'there's nobody better'. But ffs, talk about bullshít campaigning!

I really hope these tools never get into power.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

You do realise that boards.ie is infested with shinners? Expect to be shot down in flames for even suggisting such a thing Smash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Support Works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hang on they are using the partitionist soccer (foreign games!) team to drum up support? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

They've got their right-on, "we love the gays" thing going on too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

smash wrote: »
    Consistently they seem to target their propaganda at the weak and/or uneducated. I remember during the Lisbon treaty they had a billboard in Tallaght stating "remember 1916", which had sweet fck all to do with anything.

Today I saw the following sign and it really annoyed me because it seems that a lot of educated people seem to be swinging in the Sinn Fein direction using the excuse of 'there's nobody better'. But ffs, talk about bullshít campaigning!

It has to do with ceding sovereignty, you know the thing the men and women of 1916 fought and died for?

the bitterness is strong with this one I see. Better get used to the idea of the shinners being in power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Sinn Fein is a party that has a very strong following with the under 25 age group. They're far removed from the troubles so I don't see where the goading from the people who supported FF during the boom years comes from :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sure that's the garrison game!

I take no interest in that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Bullshít campaigning v's scare-tactics = who wins?

We don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LordSutch wrote: »
    You do realise that boards.ie is infested with shinners?.......!

"infested"...lovely use of language there.

LordSutch wrote: »
    You do realise that boards.ie is infested with shinners? Expect to be shot down in flames for even suggisting such a thing Smash!
    I'm not a fan of SF but admit it... threads like this make you wet yourself with excitement eh? ;)

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mike65 wrote: »
    Hang on they are using the partitionist soccer (foreign games!) team to drum up support? ;)

and some of the players are only there cause their granny lived next door to someone who worked with someone whos cousin had a pint of guinness once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

mike65 wrote: »

Next thing you know they'll be backing the Irish Cricket Team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Well you either have big business parties like FF and FG scaremongering the population into believing we will all die in the ditch if we dont give "confidence" to the investors, or you have SF spouting populist leftie crap about how the elites all hellbent on crippling the country. Parties appeal to their respective demographics with their respective brand of bullshít

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Whatever about the economic literacy of the incumbent government the thought of Sinn Fein running the show scares me.

Preaching one thing in the South while doing the opposite in the North.

Plates wrote: »
    Next thing you know they'll be backing the Irish Cricket Team :D

More balls? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

smash wrote: »

Did you vote yes to Lisbon for jobs? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I think the sign is very clever & frugal two for the price of one poster.
    Cheer on your country & a referendum poster. Just imagine when they get into power the swinging cuts to all the PS PERK & pension I say bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I am well-educated and not at all weak and have always supported Sinn Fein and voted for them. I'm not going to change, either.:D

And I don't feel at all that I need to apologise to anyone, least of all the national cringe brigade and the Section 31-spawned tossers with all the political sophistication of Jedward's retarded cousin, for that. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Biggins wrote: »
    More balls? :D
    McGuinness is a huge fan of cricket fwiw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

So wait the if we vote no we support Ireland in Euro 2012
    So how do we support if we vote yes? :confused:

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I am well-educated and not at all weak and have always supported Sinn Fein and voted for them. I'm not going to change, either.:D

And I don't feel at all that I need to apologise to anyone, least of all the national cringe brigade and the Section 31-spawned tossers with all the political sophistication of Jedward's retarded cousin, for that. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Objecting to Warrington and Enniskillen makes someone like the above? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Jester252 wrote: »
    So wait the if we vote no we support Ireland in Euro 2012
    So how do we support if we vote yes? :confused:

Germany obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

As long as someone is looking out for the "ordinary people" of Ireland we'll be ok. ;)

Domo230 wrote: »
    Sinn fein are increasing their power and honestly that scares me.
    Yes the other parties are full of incompetence and corruption but some of the sinn fein party seem to be on a whole other level of psychopathy.

It reminds me of when people first voted in the Nazis (yea an extreme example and godwins law I know) because the country was in a bad shape economically and they wanted a new option. It didn't hurt that they could also drum up the old wounds of ww1 (the troubles anyone?) in order to gain even more support.
    you have to be taking the piss

Domo230 wrote: »
    ...It reminds me of when people first voted in the Nazis (yea goodwins law I know) because the country was in a bad shape economically and they wanted a new option. It didn't hurt that they could also drum up the old wounds of ww1 (the troubles anyone?) in order to gain even more support.

When people are thirsty in a desert, they might be tempted even to drink the sand!

Objecting to Warrington and Enniskillen makes someone like the above? :confused:
    You forgot to mention Jerry McCabe and Jean McConville, slipping up there.

I object to the things you mention, just because someone supports SF it doesn't mean that they support those things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I like sinn fein, they dont come across as sneaky devious corrupt bastards. Which is odd given the background of the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Both tragic losses and the perpetrators should be caught.

However I am a Sinn Fein voter and I think people need to actually read into things before spouting the usual "nordies in our country" bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

you have to be taking the piss

When you've been here long enough, you'll see that as mild.

Biggins wrote: »
    When people are thirsty in a desert, they might be tempted even to drink the sand!

Do you speak in soundbites in real life too biggins?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

No lets keep our current goverment there, so we can have no accountability.
    WELCOME SINN FEIN

Varied wrote: »
    Do you speak in soundbites in real life too biggins?

Yes, no, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hopefully they are'nt going to try something as crass and dishonest as "NO FOR JOBS"

I mean srsly, lowest common denominator or what loike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They've been a fairly socially liberal and pro-individual rights for a lot longer than any other political party in this country. You can't really accuse them of using that as a means to garner votes, when at the time of setting out those ideals, it would most likely have cost them votes.

• Advertisement

Well they target macho lads who would have no time for gays, so it's a bit confusing...
    You forgot to mention Jerry McCabe and Jean McConville, slipping up there.

I object to the things you mention, just because someone supports SF it doesn't mean that they support those things.
    Never said it did. But it is the reason a lot of people distance themselves from Sinn Fein, not because they're like Jedward's retarded cousin or whatever.
    Both tragic losses
    Atrocities too.

Well they target macho lads who would have no time for gays, so it's a bit confusing...

Where do you pull this ****e from? I'm involved with Ogra Sinn Fein/republican youth and if anyone was in the slightest way homophobic or racist etc they would be out on their arse sharpish.

So dont talk rubbish, generally you have a decent grasp on what you are talking abut but you are waaay off the mark with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

There is no way on God's living earth I would ever vote for Sinn Fein. They are a cynical bunch of vote targeting b&stards, even worse than any other political party we have. It sickens me the way they have targeted communities where (fair enough) no one else bothered with and manipulate them to support their agenda.

In case no one else remembers, they are the POLITICAL WING OF A TERRORIST ORGANISATION.

I can't even remember what this thread is about, just that I had to open my gob when the Shinners fanciers came in.

I'm involved with Ogra Sinn Fein/republican youth and if anyone was in the slightest way homophobic or racist etc they would be out on their arse sharpish.
    Ok but they hold huge appeal, for instance, to those delightful youths who rioted for Love Ulster (I'm not a fan of Love Ulster either). I'm not saying all involved with/supportive of SF are yobs, but they do greatly appeal to many yobs.

There is no way on God's living earth I would ever vote for Sinn Fein. They are a cynical bunch of vote targeting b&stards, even worse than any other political party we have. It sickens me the way they have targeted communities where (fair enough) no one else bothered with and manipulate them to support their agenda.

In case no one else remembers, they are the POLITICAL WING OF A TERRORIST ORGANISATION.

I can't even remember what this thread is about, just that I had to open my gob when the Shinners fanciers came in.

We're did Fianna Fail come from FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hootanany wrote: »
    We're did Fianna Fail come from FFS

Not quite the same as bombing people in the North (and South) for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Who did Sinn Fein bomb in the south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

gerryo777 wrote: »

Who did Sinn Fein bomb in the south?

Yeah!! Cause the nordies and brits don't matter!!

Wtf

Their area was occupied would you just roll over if some people took over your area.

Must be nice living in a bubble.

Try being Irish or a catholic in Northern Ireland in the decades before the troubles. Then spout your tabloid cliches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Must be nice living in a bubble.

Try being Irish or a catholic in Northern Ireland in the decades before the troubles. Then spout your tabloid cliches.

My father in law was both. Never felt the need to murder children and pensioners though. Funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

summerskin wrote: »
    Yeah!! Cause the nordies don't matter!!

Wtf

What?

We know about what happened in Northern Ireland and we know how tragic the troubles were on both sides.

I'm just wondering who Sinn Fein bombed in the south?

My father in law was both. Never felt the need to murder children and pensioners though. Funny that.

Yes because the sole aim of the resistance of persecution and oppression was to kill children or pensioners.

Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

gerryo777 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering who Sinn Fein bombed in the south?

Martin McGuiness dropped a bomb on Sean Gallagher on live TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yeah!! Cause the nordies and brits don't matter!!

Wtf

Are you joking or just hysterical? I didn't the above suggested in the post you quoted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement