Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein appealing to the lowest common denominator

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Ms.M wrote: »
    I don't think misspelling a word makes you less intelligent.

I don't think voting for Sinn Féin makes you less intelligent either.

However, I do think pulling people up on their spelling/grammar on on-line forums makes you ____________________?

I'm not reaching mad conclusions FA, I'm a potential voter and I would like some detail on Sinn Féin policies. They don't have any. They don't feel the need to answer tough questions. They don't credit people with intelligence. I find them condescending.

? Have the courage to say what you mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

mattjack wrote: »
    This will be if and when the majority of the electorate agree to it.
    Which is an inevitably, might take 10, 20, 30 years but the clock is ticking on the orange state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Which is an inevitably, might take 10, 20, 30 years but the clock is ticking on the orange state

Certainly going to interesting if we ever get as far as holding these two referendums.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Azure_sky wrote: »
    Exactly. The first President of Fine Gael was General Eoin O' Duffy. He was a facist, racist, anti-semite who supported Hitler. So by the logic of some people on this forum anyone who supports Fine Gael are Nazis, racists and anti-semites.
    Indeed, but would the same FG supporters vote for them if Mr O'Duffy and his supporters were still talking much the same way as before and leading the party today? I doubt it.
    Mallei wrote: »
    We wouldn't need to.
    Another blanket statement without any reasoning behind it.
    The UK government spend an absolute fortune on the six counties because they are trying to fix (or, more accurately, cover up) a mess that they created. Occupied people don't tend to be productive and happy; thus they cost money. If they were "permitted" to actually, you know, be free and join the rest of Ireland, I guarantee it would cost a lot less. Because they'd be Irish citizens living in Ireland. Ireland cost the English money when they ruled the whole island, too, but it somehow managed to exist independently when we won our freedom.
    You do realise what decade you're living in?
    To put it another way, if we went and conquered a part of France and then brutally subjugated the natives and removed their freedoms over hundreds of years, it'd probably cost us a load of money keeping the local French populace in order under a flag they despise.
    Again you're ignoring the current majority happy under said flag. Anyway it doesn't seem like too much work to keep the place in order these days, barring the odd balloonhead kicking off. Again you're reliving the past.
    Well it doesn't seem to bother Britain that a "good chunk" despise the English and want to be Irish, why should it bother us about the reverse?
    Silly argument. It would bother us in exactly the same way if tomorrow the UK abandoned the place and we took it over. Annnnd there's your costs right there. Costs we wouldn't have a hope in hell of covering.
    Particularly when it's our land, they are the foreign invaders, and more to the point those who want to be Irish are not only in the right but also in the majority. If there were those who opposed unification left in there when we finally made Ireland whole, well, it's not hard to move across the sea and live in England (or Scotland) since that's what they so desperately want.
    Yea I'm beginning to see Mugabe myself...
    Have they?
    Yes.
    I'm going to assume here that you've never been to the six counties, don't know anyone from the six counties,
    Assume, makes an ass of u and me, or to put it another way, nope sorry you're wrong. Plus members of my family were fighting and dying for this country while others hid behind their mother's skirts only to get their courage in the blarneyed up telling decades later. I have quite a number of relatives up there still. I know much of the place and the history of it
    or simply live with your head in the sand pretending that everything's wonderful up there. There are many, many, many Irish living in the north who have to put up with crap every single day. How would you feel if you woke up every morning feeling Irish but being told that your land was English, being forced to listen to that funeral dirge of a national anthem and using money with the queen's fcuking face on it? The violence might have toned down but the desire to be part of a united Ireland is stronger than ever.
    Going by what passes for logic in your writings then surely "it's not hard to move across the border and live in Ireland since that's what they so desperately want. See how that works? Probably not, but I do like to watch people twist in the wind on a rope woven by their own narrow mindedness. Oh and before you pounce back with spittle flecked keystrokes and type "It's our laand!!!', be open to the notion that you'd hear the same words echoed back at you from the side you hate so much.
    Of course it's do with worship. I don't mean they get down on their knees and pray to the rich as if they're gods, but this blind belief that they can't do any wrong (or, if they do something wrong - like this recession - the fact that they never get brought to justice) means that the current situation is the rich can do whatever they like, and get away with it because "sure, we might drive them out of the country!". Since them being in the country had brought Ireland to its knees, I'm not so sure that would be a bad thing anyway.
    Good sweet jesus, when I thought I couldn't read anything more odd, boy was I was wrong. OK look at private debt in this country. Look at the many thousands of ordinary people who took out daftly high mortgages, loans and maxed out credit cards, yet nary a rich man or woman among them. That was this "rich" you speak of? Those same ordinary people who voted in clown after clown to keep that going? You're left with a stark choice between either the ordinary man or woman is too stupid to be left unattended with a pair of scissors, or - and I'll give you a hint - it's so much more complicated than that. This "rich" speak interests me. Go back to the 1930's and swap "rich" for "Jew" and it would comfortably slot right in. This is how this guff kicks off.
    Oh look, another anti-SF poster spouting rhetorical nonsense in an effort to discredit the fastest growing party in Irish politics.
    They're not.
    Face it, Wibbs, you will be under a Sinn Fein government within the next ten years.
    I'm not holding my breath. Let us both face the fact that after the last shower of gobshítes, a braying donkey could have gotten elected and indeed some appear to have done so. Basing any parties results on the last election is hardly a crystal ball for the future.
    I hope you keep a slice of humble pie in the fridge.
    I hope so too, though if SF take office I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it, or the fridge it's in.
    K-9 wrote: »
    Well measures were brought in to limit tax breaks and stop the practice of high earners paying little or no tax. More should be done but some of these figures SF are chatting about seem very optimistic to me. They want the services of a social democracy but also reduce taxes, doesn't add up to me!
    Yep, all too typical thinking of the more extreme left. Almost a notion of "god will provide".
    Another example of a coddled Irishman who has grown up in peacetime and just doesn't get it.
    Maybe you're not getting that it's actually peacetime. It's almost as if you want it not to be. That you're political identity requires a state of war or struggle. Far happier to blow up a bridge than try and build one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Another example of a coddled Irishman who has grown up in peacetime and just doesn't get it.

I'm sure that, as someone who has grown up in free Ireland, the national anthem or the money don't bother you, the same way the Irish living in London or Australia aren't bothered by the fact that they use money with the queen's face on it. They grew up using Irish money on Irish land, but are happy enough to accept that when they go "abroad" they use the money local to that country. Fine.

You probably therefore consider Northern Ireland a separate country and are therefore perfectly accepting of the differences owing to its "Britishness". That being the case, you're not bothered by them.

But for the Irish up there it's different. They know they're Irish, and that their land is Irish, yet they're constantly being told that not only is their land English, but they are forced to live with English customs and money. It's not the same; you're an outsider looking in, they live there.

I know an American who lives in Dublin. He's proudly American, but is obviously not bothered by using Irish money or seeing the Irish flag; he's in Ireland, for goodness' sake. But if he went home to Minnesota and suddenly found out that it was now occupied by the Irish, complete with the Irish flag and Amhrán na bhFiann, he'd be bothered.

so you get a united Ireland and what have you got, a million British people now living in an Irish republic, now been told their land which they saw as British for 500 years is now Irish.

So how are you going to solve their problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

so you get a united Ireland and what have you got, a million British people now living in an Irish republic, now been told their land which they saw as British for 500 years is now Irish.

So how are you going to solve their problem?

Shhh will ya,

Gerrys talking at his Ard Dheis ,

all the Shinners are otherwise engaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mattjack wrote: »
    Shhh will ya,

Gerrys talking at his Ard Dheis ,

all the Shinners are otherwise engaged.

I'm not. I prefer to read speeches. Except Endas, as you miss most of the comedy value if you only go on the transcript.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh right, since WWII, so now it's not a just a question of killing, it's a question of how long ago it was. Killing pre WWII was fine, so all the Shinners have to do is give it a few years and then people like yourself will drip the issue?
    Love the way the SF warped logic works.

The point is that anyone in any other party that might possibly be involved in killing has died by now.

(That aside I do recall the Labour party having various links to the Stickies
    And the Stickies had nothing to do with Sinn Fein ?
    not to mention DUP and UUP links with groups like the UVF and UDA as well as the infamous South African guns/Third Force fiasco.)
    I said Irish parties.
    I'm sure there was an overlap of members in SF and IRA, same way there was an overlap of members in SF and GAA, or AOH or the local darts club. An overlap of members does not make the two the same organisation, in fact even a brief look through modern Irish history will reveal that there was often a lot of animosity between SF and the IRA particularly during the early years of the war when IRA members would look at SF as something of a joke.
    how do you know there was animosity ??

why would there be animosity ??

Let's not forget that prominent members of SF were accused of being on the IRA army council. A lot later on they denied being currently on the council.
    Yes, Gerry Adams has been a senior member of SF since the 70s. What of it?
    It's always worth pointing out when people try to say SF has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Funding the IRA. Actual tangible funding.
    Sorry, I though Haughey was a me feiner and in it for the money.
    I'm shocked that money transferred out of his grasp into the hands of the IRA, assuming you can provide a link to prove it.
    Not "ah sure we all know Sinn Féin is the political wing of the IRA" which is mostly hearsay.

I suppose you have proof of Adams funding the IRA?
    Considering that the IRA is a secret organisation and the number of people murdered by the IRA because they were accused of informing it's not really a surprise that proof has been hard to obtain.

The point is that anyone in any other party that might possibly be involved in killing has died by now.

Must have been a few high profile deaths in labour recently!

I'm shocked that money transferred out of his grasp into the hands of the IRA, assuming you can provide a link to prove it.

Considering that the IRA is a secret organisation and the number of people murdered by the IRA because they were accused of informing it's not really a surprise that proof has been hard to obtain.

You never heard of the so called "arms crisis?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

.....not that I know of. Near miss with eejit falling off the lampost though.

all ex-SF ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

OK, so right back to the start then, in a way.

Let me put it this way.

Social stratification exists. There are a group of people in this country that typically, live in areas of high crime, high unemployment, high levels of teenage pregnancy, low levels of education etc

Call them what you will, disparaging, clinical or romantic terms. But they exist.

Simple question to all SF supporters, who do you think they typically vote for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

where are you from Wibbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ruralyoke wrote: »

Let me put it this way.

Social stratification exists. There are a group of people in this country that typically, live in areas of high crime, high unemployment, high levels of teenage pregnancy, low levels of education etc

Call them what you will, disparaging, clinical or romantic terms. But they exist.

In my area which has all the above types, I fg, 2 labour,1 pbp,1 sf. and in previous elections it was a safe FF seat/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

'Hug a unionist' is Sinn Fein strategy going forward

The weak and/or uneducated, areas of high crime, high unemployment, high levels of teenage pregnancy, low levels of education etc have existed in this country since this state was founded, Well before SF ever contested elections, Most of them areas voted FF then slowly some FG and then labour came in strong, Even if its a false hope (time will tell) SF is giving them hope where all other parties have neglected and ignored and let them areas go down even further,Payback time for the three major parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

realies wrote: »
    The weak and/or uneducated, areas of high crime, high unemployment, high levels of teenage pregnancy, low levels of education etc have existed in this country since this state was founded, Well before SF ever contested elections, Most of them areas voted FF then slowly some FG and then labour came in strong, Even if its a false hope (time will tell) SF is giving them hope where all other parties have neglected and ignored and let them areas go down even further,Payback time for the three major parties.
    I think there's a good chance SF will get into government in the next decade, and we'll soon see whether they are these amazing radicals with bizarrely simple solutions for extremely complex problems, or are they politicians like any others - except instead of ties to dodgy businessmen, they have ties to dodgy criminal organisations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Reminds me of the comment that Gerry always sounds like he's speaking Irish off an autocue. :pac:

I think there's a good chance SF will get into government in the next decade, and we'll soon see whether they are these amazing radicals with bizarrely simple solutions for extremely complex problems, or are they politicians like any others - except instead of ties to dodgy businessmen, they have ties to dodgy criminal organisations.

Time will tell, but the original op post goes on as if no one ever canvassed or promised these same disadvantage areas the sun moon or stars before,As some one else posted earlier whats new about this ? They all do it.Maybe its because SF are better at it than the others ?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

wyndhurst wrote: »
    I too have a very simple MORAL, ECONOMIC & POLITICAL compass ---> Whatever Sinn Fein, Richard Boyd Barrett, Joe Higgins and the ULA say - I will do the exact opposite.

I agree 100%. You can add Clare Daly to that list. These people are absolute vermin and have no place on the national stage.

realies wrote: »
    Time will tell, but the original op post goes on as if no one ever canvassed or promised these same disadvantage areas the sun moon or stars before,As some one else posted earlier whats new about this ? They all do it.Maybe its because SF are better at it than the others ?
    Indeed. The problem is that people from 'disadvantaged' areas have often disadvantaged themselves, and waiting for someone else to come along a drag you out of intellectual/cultural poverty is usually a total waste of time. But they seem ready to hear the easy answers and vote accordingly - I guess if they were educated enough to see through it, they wouldn't be 'disadvantaged'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

daddydick wrote: »
    I agree 100%. You can add Clare Daly to that list. These people are absolute vermin and have no place on the national stage.

Ah you're right, we should keep the national stage reserved for the elite, like bertie, george redmond, denis o'brien and all those other upstanding, right-thinking pillars of society. Sure they got us where we are today, unlike those vermin.

It's funny how you read boards and begin to wonder if we don't need another wee civil war to sort a few things out :pac:

Indeed. The problem is that people from 'disadvantaged' areas have often disadvantaged themselves, and waiting for someone else to come along a drag you out of intellectual/cultural poverty is usually a total waste of time. But they seem ready to hear the easy answers and vote accordingly - I guess if they were educated enough to see through it, they wouldn't be 'disadvantaged'.[/QUOTE]

That be a whole new interesting thread and opinions ;)

Bambi wrote: »
    It's funny how you read boards and begin to wonder if we don't need another wee civil war to sort a few things out :pac:
    Indeed. I think rooting out the dissenters is a common first step for 'socialist' governments - eventually you get to 'four legs good, two legs better'... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Ruralyoke wrote: »

Let me put it this way.

Statistically they are the least likely to vote at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Dudess wrote: »
    The above doesn't in any way mitigate what the IRA did, nor did that poster praise FF/FG.
    What was done to Catholics was super disgusting and there was bound to be retaliation, but it went miles and miles too far.
    I actually agree with a lot of SF policies though.
    Me too. See, I thought we were all moving on. But apparently we're not.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

All Societies become stratified sooner or later .Where has that not happened .When revolutions toppled old governments oligarchies emerged .Equality doesn't make sense because of a natural tendency to 'evaluate compare and classify 'That's why pure socialism is dreamy and naive therefore it needs the sobering campanionship with and effects of capitalism .Ireland has problems that have little to do with money and more to do with demands and perceptions of ourselves and each other .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

where are you from Wibbs?
    Dublin, going back many generations on one side, on the other going back a fair few, then back to Donegal. If I may be so bold, why do you ask?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Dublin mentality, if you don't know what it is, you're living it, just like generations of dubs before you. Course you're proud of it, but the question is....proud of what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

wyndhurst wrote: »
    I too have a very simple MORAL, ECONOMIC & POLITICAL compass ---> Whatever Sinn Fein, Richard Boyd Barrett, Joe Higgins and the ULA say - I will do the exact opposite.
    That's a very simple compass indeed.

Dublin mentality, if you don't know what it is, you're living it, just like generations of dubs before you. Course you're proud of it, but the question is....proud of what?
    It really does make things simpler when you apply labels to vast swathes of people, doesn't it? Us and them, Dubs and Non-Dubs, Catholics and Protestants, British and Irish, Real Irish and West Brits...

Ehhhh,where did 1916 really kick off? Oh that's right, Dublin. Sounds to me like narrow minded chip on the shoulder culshie at work. Thankfully "culshie" in the vast majority of cases isn't a geographical mindset. I've know enough Dublin culshies over the years and known enough country folks who weren't to convince me of this.

You do know just ranting "west brit" would have saved you typing time? TBH I'm a little let down. Maybe a reference to "Jackeen" would have passed muster? If in your mind that's what passes for an argument in this debate you're on a hidin' to nowhere outa the gate. BTW where did pride come into it? You really shouldn't throw stones in glasshouse, particularly if said glass is frosted to he point of opacity by your own viewpoint. A banal one at that.

TL;DR? come up with something approaching a better argument.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ehhhh,where did 1916 really kick off? Oh that's right, Dublin. Sounds to me like narrow minded chip on the shoulder culshie at work. Thankfully "culshie" in the vast majority of cases isn't a geographical mindset. I've know enough Dublin culshies over the years and known enough country folks who weren't to convince me of this.

You do know just ranting "west brit" would have saved you typing time? TBH I'm a little let down. Maybe a reference to "Jackeen" would have passed muster? If in your mind that's what passes for an argument in this debate you're on a hidin' to nowhere outa the gate. BTW where did pride come into it? You really shouldn't throw stones in glasshouse, particularly if said glass is frosted tot he point of opacity by your own viewpoint. A banal one at that.

TL;DR? come up with something approaching a better argument.

This post is pretty much the Dublin mentality, I don't have to say a word, I can just pick out some of your choice words. "West Brit?"
    I have more respect for the brits, than for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Indeed. The problem is that people from 'disadvantaged' areas have often disadvantaged themselves, and waiting for someone else to come along a drag you out of intellectual/cultural poverty is usually a total waste of time. But they seem ready to hear the easy answers and vote accordingly - I guess if they were educated enough to see through it, they wouldn't be 'disadvantaged'.

You are joking right?

Please say you are

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mallei

Wibbs you're embarrassing yourself in this thread. I suggest you go to bed before you do your side of the argument any more harm.

mishkalucy wrote: »
    You are joking right?
    Guess again. Can I now expect a socialist rant straight out of the late 1800s?

• Advertisement

Wibbs you're embarrassing yourself in this thread. I suggest you go to bed before you do your side of the argument any more harm.

I agree how is this guy moderating a forum when he's blatantly elitist which is IMO worse than racist because it's racism within one's own race.

It really does make things simpler when you apply labels to vast swathes of people, doesn't it? Us and them, Dubs and Non-Dubs, Catholics and Protestants, British and Irish, Real Irish and West Brits...
    Real Irish , is that like Continuity Irish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

You wont get a socialist rant from me and most certainly not from the 1800's, but come on............

I'm from one of the toughest areas of Dublin, grew up there in the 70's and 80's and the sh*t that I saw, God nor man should never have allowed.

I am self educated and got out. The difference between me and "them"???

I have a great family

Not everyone was as lucky as me

We were all aware of the families who for them incest and abuse was the norm.

Can you blame the sins of the father on the children???

Some of the things that went on, there was never a hope these children(who would now all be in their 30's) would never be functional members of society.

Monty, its pretty hard to put you're head in a book and become "disadvantaged" as you put it, when you never know which member of your family, brother, father, is going to anally rape you so badly that every one of the kids on the road can see the blood that you leak a week later through your clothes while out on the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

http://www.irishtimes.com/focus/haughey/ITstories/story12.htm

It is generally accepted from any books or articles I've read that he was in charge of the fund that paid for the guns that were imported, he did sanction an import of arms but in his trial claimed it was for military intelligence, heck of a consignment for them but there you are.

Haughey had no interest in a United Ireland, he was backing the wrong horse for his political advancement, incidentally his trial was delayed when he fell of his horse and ended up in hospital! A real life metaphor right there!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

All depends on the UK government.
    If they continue to bankroll the North then no dice.
    Most Catholics will bite to stay in the UK.
    All the polls show this.

If Scotland leaves the union and the English decide to turn the tap off on cash then a United Ireland becones attractive to middle class Catholics.

K-9 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/focus/haughey/ITstories/story12.htm

It is generally accepted from any books or articles I've read that he was in charge of the fund that paid for the guns that were imported, he did sanction an import of arms but in his trial claimed it was for military intelligence, heck of a consignment for them but there you are.

Haughey had no interest in a United Ireland, he was backing the wrong horse for his political advancement, incidentally his trial was delayed when he fell of his horse and ended up in hospital! A real life metaphor right there!

He rejected evidence by the Minister for Defence, Jim Gibbons, and Peter Berry that he was fully aware of and approved a plot to import arms. This defence was to be criticised by his co-defendants who had admitted their roles in the attempted import but claimed that it was authorised by the Government.

So the guy who provided the finance for this operation had no knowledge of it?? What strings did he pull to get around 2 eye witnesses? Smacks of the Bertie defence to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He rejected evidence by the Minister for Defence, Jim Gibbons, and Peter Berry that he was fully aware of and approved a plot to import arms. This defence was to be criticised by his co-defendants who had admitted their roles in the attempted import but claimed that it was authorised by the Government.

So the guy who provided the finance for this operation had no knowledge of it?? What strings did he pull to get around 2 eye witnesses? Smacks of the Bertie defence to me!

Indeed. When you compare him to Blayney his defence and his politics throughout their careers well............

Haughey thought he saw a way to Taoiseach, he miscalculated and eventually got there, 9 years later. Things like a United Ireland were just tools to be manipulated in his rise to power and when in it. The archetypal Irish Machiavellian politician, the end being Haughey's political career.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This to me is what is wrong in Irish politics at the moment. Noone has any conviction and for all the shinner talk, these people lived with the very real possibility of assassination/ imprisonment for years because of their ideals and principals. Whereas what we have in the south is a pack of career politician whipping boys.
    At my age I realise that I would rather take a chance than sacrifice all that I hold dear to be comfortable. Oh and I am comfortable currently. I used to be proud to be irish, but between FG, FF and Jedward that pride has taken a hit.

So what if things need to get hard for a bit, can't be any worse than the eighties and we retain some self respect. This don't wake the sleeping giant crap has to end.

This to me is what is wrong in Irish politics at the moment. Noone has any conviction and for all the shinner talk, these people lived with the very real possibility of assassination/ imprisonment for years because of their ideals and principals.
    Lots of people in the North lived with the real possibility of assassination 'legitimate targets' they were called. Basically anyone who took the Queen's shilling and anyone they gave it to. Except 'legitimate targets' didn't have to worry about imprisonment or the due process of law.

Weren't the IRA the first terrorist organisation to force people to act as suicide bombers by kidnapping their family ?

And this is the sort of thing that SF have never condemned without trying somehow to normalise it by trying to spread the blame to all parties.

It's the same people in charge of SF and in all that time I haven't heard one clear apology that wasn't diluted or diminished.

The point is that even if SF has absolutely no connection whatsoever with the IRA, any condemnations of IRA activity have come across as lip service.

Dublin mentality, if you don't know what it is, you're living it, just like generations of dubs before you.

+
    This post is pretty much the Dublin mentality, I don't have to say a word, I can just pick out some of your choice words. "West Brit?"
    I have more respect for the brits, than for you.
    I agree how is this guy moderating a forum when he's blatantly elitist which is IMO worse than racist because it's racism within one's own race.
    Can you not see the irony? Probably not. Then we get "racism within one's own race"? Seriously? Quality stuff.

So because someone disagrees with Sinn Fein's economic policies they become a racist? Because someone disagrees with some of the living in the past rhetoric of some they're a racist? How's that work Ted?
    mishkalucy wrote:
    You wont get a socialist rant from me and most certainly not from the 1800's, but come on............

I'm from one of the toughest areas of Dublin, grew up there in the 70's and 80's and the sh*t that I saw, God nor man should never have allowed.

I am self educated and got out. The difference between me and "them"???

I have a great family

Not everyone was as lucky as me
    +1. Even with a great family it's no guarantee. If you grow up surrounded by antisocial/criminal behavior to the degree it's almost normalised it's very easy to slip. We're all products of our environments to a large degree and it's all too easy to say "oh sure they can pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get out". Easier said than done. Even so many many people do.

It's the same people in charge of SF and in all that time I haven't heard one clear apology that wasn't diluted or diminished.

The point is that even if SF has absolutely no connection whatsoever with the IRA, any condemnations of IRA activity have come across as lip service.
    True, however it's just as easy to become mired in the past from the other angle too. "Look what the Brits/IRA did", delete as personally applicable kinda thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement