Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein appealing to the lowest common denominator

18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

You never get tired of the lazy Celtic supporter stereotypes do you?
    Well, when it stops being appropriate, I probably will. But not until. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm not sure, to be honest - perhaps you need to ask the man who popularised the expression?

I agree, it is offensive drivel.

So now you're having a go at the fate of an SDLP mans wife.

Classy.

Nodin wrote: »
    So now you're having a go at the fate of an SDLP mans wife.

Classy.
    It takes a special kind of stupid to interpret the post that way. :)

It takes a special kind of stupid to interpret the post that way. :)

No....I stated exactly what happened with no elaboration and you came back with
    Ah well, sure nobody had a monopoly on suffering etc. etc.

Mockery, sneering, belittling.....any number of ways of describing it.

Why do you feel the need to have a go at a disfigured woman?

Mockery, sneering, belittling.....any number of ways of describing it.

Why do you feel the need to have a go at a disfigured woman?
    It may have been a little too subtle for you to notice, but this was a comment on SF/IRA's attitude to the victims of atrocities - a view I presume you also subscribe to?

It's telling that you feel it was 'having a go at a disfigured woman' when I wrote it, but at the same time you probably lapped it up when it was dripping out of Gerry's mouth in the same context.

It may have been a little too subtle for you to notice, but this was a comment on SF/IRA's attitude to the victims of atrocities - a view I presume you also subscribe to?

Whats that to do with the fate of Austin Curries wife?
    It's telling that you feel it was 'having a go at a disfigured woman' when I wrote it, but at the same time you probably lapped it up when it was dripping out of Gerry's mouth in the same context.

So you're mocking Mrs Currie to have a go at me and Gerry adams.....Yep, classier still.

She was a victim of the type of terrorist atrocity you think we should all just forget about and move on, and the perpetrators of which should get token punishments.
    So you're mocking Mrs Currie to have a go at me and Gerry adams.....Yep, classier still.
    Well no, I'm mocking you. I'm not sure your misdirection is fooling anyone, but keep trying. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

She was a victim of the type of terrorist atrocity you think we should all just forget about and move on, and the perpetrators of which should get token punishments.

Well no, I'm mocking you. I'm not sure your misdirection is fooling anyone, but keep trying. :)

Mein Gott , I can't even go to the chipper without you two starting again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Illuminating.

"Those" people don't really give a fcuk about victims, only mention them when they can be used as ammunition, against republicans usually (hence the victims of British state violence rarely get a mention save for token reference to bloody Sunday) although I have to say using the victims of loyalist violence to have a go at republicans is rare enough.

• Advertisement

Illuminating.

"Those" people don't really give a fcuk about victims, only mention them when they can be used as ammunition, against republicans usually (hence the victims of British state violence rarely get a mention save for token reference to bloody Sunday) although I have to say using the victims of loyalist violence to have a go at republicans is rare enough.

>insert shinner boiler-plate here<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

with respect to the vicims of all atrocities.........we owe to them the efforts it takes, to see there is no more......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Illuminating.

Who exactly is that addressed at ?

She was a victim of the type of terrorist atrocity you think we should all just forget about and move on, .

You'll be able to find a quote or two to back that up, I trust.
    Well no, I'm mocking you. .

No, you derided the attack on Mrs Currie with a sneery remark. If anyone is a bit blase about the suffering of others, its you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

Fenian Army = Wolfe Tone who closed his account a few weeks ago.

You'll be able to find a quote or two to back that up, I trust.
    I'm sure you'll happily publicly go on the record now and state that you think that the perpetrators of terrorist atrocities from both sides should - under any sort of justice - be forced to spend decades in prison as appropriate to their crimes? I'll happily withdraw my claim in that case.
    No, you derided the attack on Mrs Currie with a sneery remark. If anyone is a bit blase about the suffering of others, its you.
    Wow, you are big on the sneering today, aren't you? I responded with an Adams-esque comment - which you correctly identified as condescending drivel. I'm wondering whether you said the same when it came directly from Adams?

• Advertisement

Fenian Army = Wolfe Tone who closed his account a few weeks ago.
    They just can't stay away, can they? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

They just can't stay away, can they? :)

"They haven't gone away, you know" - Gerry Adams :)

"They haven't gone away, you know" - Gerry Adams
    Don't go quoting Gerry Adams, it seems to confuse the bejaysus out of the shinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Sinn Fein 'appealing to the lowest common denominator' is just plain bollocks tbh. It's just more of that generalising nonsense. If you don't agree with their policies, fine, but the lowest common denominator is too busy not giving a shit about politics and society's ills.

Wow, you are big on the sneering today, aren't you? I responded with an Adams-esque comment - which you correctly identified as condescending drivel. I'm wondering whether you said the same when it came directly from Adams?

Was he addressing that to a specific victim, namely a wife of some politician who had some paramilitary groups initials carved into her chest? No, I don't think so.

• Advertisement

Was he addressing that to a specific victim, namely a wife of some politician who had some paramilitary groups initials carved into her chest? No, I don't think so.
    So she was somehow excluded every time he spouted that piece of - what you call - condescending drivel?

So she was somehow excluded every time he spouted that piece of - what you call - condescending drivel?

I posted
    Loyalists. They carved "UVF" on her chest.

to which you sneered in
    Ah well, sure nobody had a monopoly on suffering etc. etc.

Its typical of the kind of attitude you've displayed throughout the thread. You can't get a few posts out with throwing in abusive comments, murmurings about "knuckledraggers" and "celtic jerseys". And to cap it all, you top off your attempts to intellectualise some deep emotional disturbance by having a go at the maiming of a politicans wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

And to cap it all, you top off your attempts to intellectualise some deep emotional disturbance by having a go at the maiming of a politicans wife.

you keep repeating this but its not what he meant.The subtlety of the english language seems to escape you.

keep saying it though....even after it's been explained to you at least twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

smash wrote: »
    Consistently they seem to target their propaganda at the weak and/or uneducated. I remember during the Lisbon treaty they had a billboard in Tallaght stating "remember 1916", which had sweet fck all to do with anything.

Today I saw the following sign and it really annoyed me because it seems that a lot of educated people seem to be swinging in the Sinn Fein direction using the excuse of 'there's nobody better'. But ffs, talk about bullshít campaigning!

I really hope these tools never get into power.

Yeah like we havent had any tools in power before, like ever :rolleyes:

to which you sneered in
    You are obsessed with sneering! :)

You go on to vomit:
    Its typical of the kind of attitude you've displayed throughout the thread. You can't get a few posts out with throwing in abusive comments, murmurings about "knuckledraggers" and "celtic jerseys". And to cap it all, you top off your attempts to intellectualise some deep emotional disturbance by having a go at the maiming of a politicans wife.
    I think you may be projecting here to be honest. Admit it, when Gerry's own words were recycled and applied to an actual victim, the fact that he was spouting 'condescending drivel' was apparent to you and you didn't like it. And rather than question your own beliefs, you prefer to attack the messenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

De Dannan wrote: »
    Yeah like we havent had any tools in power before, like ever :rolleyes:

:)

Here we go - classic shinner: "If you're not with us you're agin us"

Why is it that only SF supporters have this attitude?

Like so many people here have professed their devotion to FF, FG, Lab etc
    :rolleyes:

Don't you get it? They just hate the idea of a party whose members include people who until very recently supported mass murder.

Simple really.

Advertisement