Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein appealing to the lowest common denominator

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

smash wrote: »
    Well why do SF refer to them as vulnerable?

Some people in those areas are in very low income brackets. Now what do you mean by "weak"?
    Because I find it hard to accept it as any form of genuine concern. All their posters are propaganda riddled

O thats different. A political poster that contains propaganda....surely theres a law against such things.
    and they canvas these areas to gain votes based on fair tale policies to tax people who are better of than them.

According to you, its "fairy tale policies". You realise that other parties canvass there too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

It's the banks giving money to everyone and the lack of a proper regulator that got us here for the most part. But there are still people doing well and surviving. SF will burn bondholders, tell the IMF etc to fúck off etc and expect the country to survive? Or expect any of the 'Elite' to be left to pick up the bill?

Who appointed the regulator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

kincsem wrote: »
    Sinn Féin, the people who say "26 counties" and "6 counties", but never "Ireland" and "Northern Ireland".
    Sinn Féin, the anti-everything party.
    I vote the opposite to Sinn Féin.

Fair play to you vote with the sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Sinn Féin supported organised murder, they're not in a position to advise anyone on anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Jess16 wrote: »
    Sinn Féin supported organised murder, they're not in a position to advise anyone on anything

Check out the history of both FG and FF.

That is all.

Jess16 wrote: »

FF and FG supported the same in order for us to gain independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

They didn't seem to care about the vulnerable in society when they shot them and buried innocent Protestants in this country. Shame on them and they will have to answer for these crimes to God.

Banned.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Banned.

Nice one Keith!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Nodin wrote: »
    Some people in those areas are in very low income brackets. Now what do you mean by "weak"?

There are different levels of weak in society. There are genuinely weak people who are vulnerable, and who I think SF take advantage of as a result and that's why they target these areas. Then there are the less educated and SF target them too by telling them they are vulnerable and start talking about taxing people who are better off than them. Then with the lower class areas they canvas, comes a higher percentage of bad apples and SF target them by mentioning stuff like 1916 to appeal to their fighting nature.

It might not be your opinion but it's mine and I know a lot of people share it.
    gerryo777 wrote: »
    Who appointed the regulator?

Poor argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Banned.

Why has he been banned?
    Jean McConville was murdered by SF types.
    A lot of evidence to suggest that Adams ordered the murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Why has he been banned?

Hes a re-reg.

Hes a re-reg.

Do tell....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Hootanany wrote: »
    Fair play to you vote with the sheep.
    If Sinn Féin had good economic policies, and integrity, I would vote for them.
    They try to appeal to the unemployed and disaffected by criticising without proposing sensible alternatives.
    Name calling fits the Sinn Féin mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Aww, I was enjoying his posts. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They've been a fairly socially liberal and pro-individual rights for a lot longer than any other political party in this country. You can't really accuse them of using that as a means to garner votes, when at the time of setting out those ideals, it would most likely have cost them votes.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Well they target macho lads who would have no time for gays, so it's a bit confusing...

In what ways?

I could link to a multitude of sources which completely destroy your assertion, but what's the point, you'll just turn it into a stick to have another go =p

Off the top of my head, I can tell you that people of the LGBT community have actively taken part in, and successfully arranged fringe events as part of the annual SF Ard Fheis for the last number of years.

• Advertisement

Why has he been banned?

Sinn Fein types?
    You should bring that evidence to your local Garda station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There are different levels of weak in society. There are genuinely weak people who are vulnerable, and who I think SF take advantage of as a result and that's why they target these areas. Then there are the less educated and SF target them too by telling them they are vulnerable and start talking about taxing people who are better off than them. Then with the lower class areas they canvas, comes a higher percentage of bad apples and SF target them by mentioning stuff like 1916 to appeal to their fighting nature.

You might have been better titling your thread "My Fear Of The Working Class" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

Look folks, at the end of the day Sinn Fein are a bunch of ****ing idiots, as are Fine Fail and Fine Gael.

But, back to the OP, SF are a very sly and devious party. WTF do they know about running the fiscal policy of Ireland? Lets read from their economic policy and find out shall we?

"We can build a country and an economy that creates wealth(from nowhere) and shares wealth, that is based on enterprising excellence and social solidarity. A country defined by Irish values of decency, fair play and celebration of achievement.(dont forget dancing at crossroads)

We can do this because that is who we are(so dont usk any questions, just trust us). That is what we are about, that is what our economy must be about. We need a plan to achieve this. We need leadership and Sinn Féin can offer it. Read on to find out how...

The government cannot simply tax or cut its way out of this crisis.

Our number one priority at this time is to get Ireland back to work. The time for action is now.Targets for job creation must be set and met.

All of those involved in job creation and training – statutory agencies, unions, employers and educationalists - must come together to plot the job creation pathway. We need speedy and deliberate targeting of those sectors where growth is possible – sectors like agri-food, research and development and green technology.

We need to build the skill base to create and fill new jobs(isnt there somebody already responsible for this? FAS??? Oh no, my mistake). We need to build the critical infrastructure, schools and houses, public transport and Information Technology. (and pay for them with what? Air? Magic?)

Business start ups must be supported by creating one stop enterprise business points offering advice, funding and expertise to entrepreneurs. (already there im afraid)

An aggressive export Ireland strategy is urgently required. This is an area of huge potential. Currently 90% of exports from this state are from foreign owned multinationals. Irish enterprises must develop their export capacity. Government policy must drive this.

We must fight to save existing jobs under threat. Workers and their families deserve no less. Economic recovery demands no less.

Jobs can be saved. The jobs on the line at SR Technics can be saved. Jobs in construction and retail can be saved. Waterford Crystal can have a future. These and other vulnerable jobs will be lost if the current lacklustre approach by government continues.

Sinn Féin would not meekly accept the ongoing haemorrhage of skills and global brands from our country. The government needs to get its act together.

Recovery will not be possible unless we sort out the banks. This requires forthright, decisive actions.
    This is what needs to happen:
    • Mispaid bonuses and overblown salaries must be retrieved, there must be a cap on salaries of banking executives and an immediate abolition of their bonuses. (best of uck with that one Gerry-boy)
    • We need to know the extent of the banks bad debts. The time for speculation as to the state of the banks balance sheets is over. (it is already acurately known)
    • We need to have the truth. An independent inspector must, on behalf of the taxpayer, establish their liabilities. (Oh right yea)
    • We need a new, robust financial regulatory system.

Seriouly??? THese guys are fcuking idiots, but then again, so are those that vote for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOh-rpvjYg

Who am I to say though, I got off this ship a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

you are becoming increasingly offensive regarding 'vulnerable' people, bad apples..........give it a rest

all parties here commemorate 1916, not just sf

Nodin wrote: »
    You might have been better titling your thread "My Fear Of The Working Class" .
    Working class? They don't seem to actively target people who work! :D

hungrypig wrote: »
    all parties here commemorate 1916, not just sf
    They're the only ones who use it as a tool for no reason but to gain votes.

• Advertisement

Poor argument.

Why?

it would be hard to do that given the high rates of unemployment caused by the misgovernment of ff/labour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think the ULA are for the lowest common denominator and the misguided youth. Sinn Fein in the ROI are more for people with issues in terms of belonging. They need a cause to belong to, had a tough childhood and in general is subconsciously angry at life.

Ive always wondered what would happen to republicans up North if they ever achieved their goal of a United Ireland. The stark reality of how hollow their lives are would sharply kick them up the backside. A lot of these extremists lives are consumed by hatred and self victimisation. When suddenly they have nobody to blame for how poor their quality of life is, who are they going to blame then?

Why?

You appoint someone to a position and you expect them to do the job. The regulator didn't do their job. Doesn't matter who appointed them.

iamthe43 wrote: »
    Look folks, at the end of the day Sinn Fein are a bunch of ****ing idiots, as are Fine Fail and Fine Gael.

But, back to the OP, SF are a very sly and devious party. WTF do they know about running the fiscal policy of Ireland? Lets read from their economic policy and find out shall we?

"We can build a country and an economy that creates wealth(from nowhere) and shares wealth, that is based on enterprising excellence and social solidarity. A country defined by Irish values of decency, fair play and celebration of achievement.(dont forget dancing at crossroads)

We can do this because that is who we are(so dont usk any questions, just trust us). That is what we are about, that is what our economy must be about. We need a plan to achieve this. We need leadership and Sinn Féin can offer it. Read on to find out how...

The government cannot simply tax or cut its way out of this crisis.

Our number one priority at this time is to get Ireland back to work. The time for action is now.Targets for job creation must be set and met.

All of those involved in job creation and training – statutory agencies, unions, employers and educationalists - must come together to plot the job creation pathway. We need speedy and deliberate targeting of those sectors where growth is possible – sectors like agri-food, research and development and green technology.

We need to build the skill base to create and fill new jobs(isnt there somebody already responsible for this? FAS??? Oh no, my mistake). We need to build the critical infrastructure, schools and houses, public transport and Information Technology. (and pay for them with what? Air? Magic?)

Business start ups must be supported by creating one stop enterprise business points offering advice, funding and expertise to entrepreneurs. (already there im afraid)

An aggressive export Ireland strategy is urgently required. This is an area of huge potential. Currently 90% of exports from this state are from foreign owned multinationals. Irish enterprises must develop their export capacity. Government policy must drive this.

We must fight to save existing jobs under threat. Workers and their families deserve no less. Economic recovery demands no less.

Jobs can be saved. The jobs on the line at SR Technics can be saved. Jobs in construction and retail can be saved. Waterford Crystal can have a future. These and other vulnerable jobs will be lost if the current lacklustre approach by government continues.

Sinn Féin would not meekly accept the ongoing haemorrhage of skills and global brands from our country. The government needs to get its act together.

Recovery will not be possible unless we sort out the banks. This requires forthright, decisive actions.
    This is what needs to happen:
    • Mispaid bonuses and overblown salaries must be retrieved, there must be a cap on salaries of banking executives and an immediate abolition of their bonuses. (best of uck with that one Gerry-boy)
    • We need to know the extent of the banks bad debts. The time for speculation as to the state of the banks balance sheets is over. (it is already acurately known)
    • We need to have the truth. An independent inspector must, on behalf of the taxpayer, establish their liabilities. (Oh right yea)
    • We need a new, robust financial regulatory system.

Seriouly??? THese guys are fcuking idiots, but then again, so are those that vote for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOh-rpvjYg

Who am I to say though, I got off this ship a long time ago.

How old is that, the jobs at SR technics can be saved??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

How old is that, the jobs at SR technics can be saved??

Old or not, it proves that their clueless flag wavers

They're the only ones who use it as a tool for no reason but to gain votes.[/QUOTE]

well sure if they ever run out of tools they should be redirected here, tools in abundance

hungrypig wrote: »
    well sure if they ever run out of tools they should be redirected here, tools in abundance

All the SF supporters? I know...

:D

yawn

You appoint someone to a position and you expect them to do the job. The regulator didn't do their job. Doesn't matter who appointed them.

Are you serious?

The Dept of finance turned a blind eye to what was going on because of the stupid amounts of money that was coming in.

Dept of finance, headed by the minister for finance, who at the time was one brian cowen.

Minister of finance, part of a government headed by one bertie ahern.

bertie ahern, a ****ing gob****e, son of charlie.

That's the problem here, the buck doesn't stop anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Sinn Fein types?
    You should bring that evidence to your local Garda station.

Won't do any good.
    SF types have been given immunity from murder as part of the GFA.

FYI, I don't vote Sinn Fein.

kincsem wrote: »
    If Sinn Féin had good economic policies, and integrity, I would vote for them.
    They try to appeal to the unemployed and disaffected by criticising without proposing sensible alternatives.
    Name calling fits the Sinn Féin mentality.

This crowd lied barefaced to me fool me once and all that jazz can't be any ores can it.

Are you serious?

The Dept of finance turned a blind eye to what was going on because of the stupid amounts of money that was coming in.

Dept of finance, headed by the minister for finance, who at the time was one brian cowen.

Minister of finance, part of a government headed by one bertie ahern.

bertie ahern, a ****ing gob****e, son of charlie.

That's the problem here, the buck doesn't stop anywhere.
    There's not one qualified accountant in the dept of finance. That's to do with how the PS is run and it's shocking, and worse is that unions wouldn't allow these people be made redundant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Got their Vote No leaflet in the post. There's a lot of stuff in it that I would consider deceptive at best. It really is targeted at people who are ignorant of the issue.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Got their Vote No leaflet in the post. There's a lot of stuff in it that I would consider deceptive at best. It really is targeted at people who are ignorant of the issue.

You must have enjoyed reading that so...

I think the ULA are for the lowest common denominator and the misguided youth. Sinn Fein in the ROI are more for people with issues in terms of belonging. They need a cause to belong to, had a tough childhood and in general is subconsciously angry at life.

Ive always wondered what would happen to republicans up North if they ever achieved their goal of a United Ireland. The stark reality of how hollow their lives are would sharply kick them up the backside. A lot of these extremists lives are consumed by hatred and self victimisation. When suddenly they have nobody to blame for how poor their quality of life is, who are they going to blame then?

Sinn Fein would be screwed in a united Ireland. Their north and south policies are opposites. The household charge being a prime example.

Expand please

You must have enjoyed reading that so...

Is that supposed to be an insult? It's pretty lame if it is but typical of the intelligence and maturity of a sinn Fein supporter. Thanks for proving my point.

• Advertisement

Is that supposed to be an insult? It's pretty lame if it is but typical of the intelligence and maturity of a sinn Fein supporter. Thanks for proving my point.

As I just posted, I don't vote Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wibbs wrote: »

Their economic policies are beyond daft. Ideas from the nuttier end of socialist thinking and as is typical of that kinda thinking they're great at spending money without a bulls notion how to make money in the first place*. Low taxes for "the working man"(so long as he is well under what they consider moral) high social spending, but who's gonna write the cheques for all this? Ehhhh Tax the RICH!!!! Burn the bondholders!!! Tell the IMF to fcuk off!! Bastards!!!.

*Nuttier rightwingers/libertarians are the opposite, great at raising money, crap at spending it or at least hate to do so. Hence I prefer the middle ground.

Yep and SF are now campaigning that voting No means we can get a second round of funding from the IMF, which is debatable. So the shower who didn't want the IMF in the first place are now saying we can avail of funding from the IMF, the crowd we shouldn't be getting funding from!

Plus they keep repeating the treaty will mean an additional €6 Billion worth of cuts, the same economist they quoted in their leaflets when being "economical with the truth" says different.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Hootanany wrote: »

Expand please

On the page about austerity it says things are getting worse even after 24.6 billion in cuts and a host of new charges including "household charge, septic tank charge, property tax, water charges". As far as I am aware there is no property tax or water charges in existence.

It also says that fine Gael and labour gave €21 billion to the banks. Surely this would be classed as an investment/purchase rather than a gift as the government received a stake in the bank in exchange for the money.

On the second page it asks "Does it deal with the debt crisis?" to which it gives the answer "no. it completely ignores it". But if you look over to the side it asks what will voting no mean to which it answers " the irish government can deal with the debt crisis". A bit contradictory.

On the back page it says that the rules can "only be changed by a future referendum with the agreement of the other EU states." This is not entirely true. The Irish people retain the right to alter the constitution at any time without the need to obtain agreement from any other country.

This is another issue I have with SF. Their gung ho supporters tend to be remarkably ignorant of what they're actually supporting, on more than one level.

I don't know of any other party that its "grass roots" supporters are more at odds with the party's policies on immigration and homosexuality to give 2 examples. I've even seen the view on Boards, wait till we get into power to see what we really think!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

There's not one qualified accountant in the dept of finance. That's to do with how the PS is run and it's shocking, and worse is that unions wouldn't allow these people be made redundant!

I'd say there is plenty of qualified Accountants, there are no Economists though, not necessarily a bad thing! The DoF advised not guaranteeing Anglo whereas McWilliams wanted the blanket guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Do Sinn Fein have any middle class support at all ? I'm genuinely curious about this because the 'working classes' only make up a relatively small percentage of the population and most of Sinn Fein's policies only appeal to them (I actually debate about how much of a working class we really have in Ireland but that's another argument). Unless they broaden their appeal they won't grow much more in political strength.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd say there is plenty of qualified Accountants, there are no Economists though, not necessarily a bad thing! The DoF advised not guaranteeing Anglo whereas McWilliams wanted the blanket guarantee.

Accountants who can't even do accounting.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1101/breaking31.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't know of any other party that its "grass roots" supporters are more at odds with the party's policies on immigration and homosexuality to give 2 examples. I've even seen the view on Boards, wait till we get into power to see what we really think!
    Its actually quite scary on that score K.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sooooo you agree I was right and you were wrong for saying you never heard or read this? As for what's wrong with it? Where do you think the money to cover our losses and ongoing expenses will come from? Answers on a postcard please.

Which taxes anyone above 100k per year at 48%.
    Gerry Adams has said this, or do you not believe your own glorious leader?

Not enough for you? OK then here it is from their own website.

For those on mobile folks... "Sinn Féin TD Aengus Ó Snodaigh has said the Government should throw the IMF out of the country before resigning and calling a general election."

Obviously they don't actually say "fcuk off", but that's just you nitpicking and backtracking in the face of your ignorance of the position of the party you support.

Naw. I would respectfully suggest that you break out the camomile lotion, because you've been burned. Then try again.

Again actually try reading the policies. You're 47% wrong. That's just on income tax above 100k. Never mind the capital gains tax among a host of others.

This is another issue I have with SF. Their gung ho supporters tend to be remarkably ignorant of what they're actually supporting, on more than one level.

Wibbs, have I ever told you that I love you?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Its actually quite scary on that score K.

In the north too there would be many people amongst their supporters who probably wouldn't be too fond of their policies on gay rights or immigration.

As Sinn Fein's political power has grown they have just had to suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Consistently they seem to target their propaganda at the weak and/or uneducated. I remember during the Lisbon treaty they had a billboard in Tallaght stating "remember 1916", which had sweet fck all to do with anything.

Today I saw the following sign and it really annoyed me because it seems that a lot of educated people seem to be swinging in the Sinn Fein direction using the excuse of 'there's nobody better'. But ffs, talk about bullshít campaigning!

I really hope these tools never get into power.

your post is quite naive to say the least. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement