Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you hate about TV shows

• 24-05-2012 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I'm not big into watching the box but a few things I hate; the way in soaps that there always seems to be a song playing on the radio and no general radio chat, perfectly phrased sentences, lack of farting/belching, no bad hair days, people meeting in pub for pints in middle of day.
    So what kind of things do you not like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Mostly the way they are dragged out for series upon series, plots developing at a snails pace, all in the name of maximising revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The way people never eat their food, leaving full drinks and meals behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

The way the kids are never there. Really rags me wondering who they are supposed to be with.

And when a character leaves, there is rarely a mention of them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

The overwhelming majority of programming on TV is aimed at complete fucking morons yet even intelligent people end up watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I'm not big into watching the box but a few things I hate; the way in soaps that there always seems to be a song playing on the radio and no general radio chat, perfectly phrased sentences, lack of farting/belching, no bad hair days, people meeting in pub for pints in middle of day.
    So what kind of things do you not like?

What's wrong with meeting for pints in the middle of the day??? That's what your lunch break is for, at least in the UK anyway.

Found it a shock over here that the Irish don't go for a couple of pints at lunch, pretty standard everywhere I worked in the UK.

And on topic, those bed sheets that never show women's tits!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

They order a drink and leave it behind.

To destroy a computer/data, they shoot the monitor and keyboard!!! WTF!

A female has just come from a tough battle-zone but her make-up and lipstick are perfect and she is spotless - yet her fellow males are dirty, tired and bedraggled looking!

The way they dumb down and even cut scenes out for USA viewers!

There's loads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anything that is a 'reality' based show :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The fact that after 7 seasons, he still hasn't told his bloody children how he met their mother....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i only watch good tv shows so I guess my main complaint is the lack of tv to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Ads are a pain in the arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

When shows (usually documentaries) come back from the ads and they proceed to repeat what they said just before the ad break.

Feck the new viewers, I don't need it repeated to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I never once saw Captain Kirk, or anyone else in Star Trek go for a piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Cliffhangers designed for American ad breaks, which, with our fewer ad breaks, are resolved after a brief fade to black over here.
    I always remember on cartoons when a character was tied to a conveyor about to be fed into some blades, or tied to tracks about to be run over by a train.
    I'd get so annoyed when it'd fade to black, and then the train/blades would actually be slightly farther away! I thought it was just a really cheap, obvious trick, not knowing the reason for the odd pause.

Also, Ryan Tubridy and Craig Doyle.
    You can actually see the smug cloud over Donnybrook when they're both in the building at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

A pint of unspecific lager please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Watching Fair City there as you do and that one Caoimhe Dillion walked into the kitchen with a take away and wearing a short skirt. Best show on the box imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 UndertheBridge

Well, how I always end up watching reality shows about people who I absolutely despise in real life and somehow becoming addicted to watching them

Made in Chelsea, you are all bastards, I've just wasted my reading week.

One that not many kop.

A chap (or woman, rarer though) walks into a bar and order a pint of larger.
    5 seconds later, there is is in front of him!
    Ok... WTF!!!

Unless the taps are blasting it out by jet propulsion (and thus mess everywhere anyway), no one gets a pint poured in 5 seconds or less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When you know your favourite show may get the axe for no good reason at all
    You invest time in it, realy enjoy and boom, taken away

Fox seem happy to drag out The Simpsons long past their sell by date

But cancel :mad: Chicago Code :mad: after just one season!!

Was a brilliant show, even had the best intro song ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Biggins wrote: »
    One that not many kop.

A chap (or woman, rarer though) walks into a bar and order a pint of larger.
    5 seconds later, there is is in front of him!
    Ok... WTF!!!

Unless the taps are blasting it out by jet propulsion (and thus mess everywhere anyway), no one gets a pint poured in 5 seconds or less!

Boom

bluto63 wrote: »
    Boom

Youtube video inserted.

Interesting.

In the shots we see in the tv/films though they go to standard visible taps.
    Then like magic, the pints appear in seconds!

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

The fact that after 7 seasons, he still hasn't told his bloody children how he met their mother....

Oh I can't believe you missed that episode, Ted was kerb crawling.

Anywho how come no one ever goes to the jacks, I think there's a truckload of milk of magnesia needed in a few of these shows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

In Come Dine With Me when they have the coming up after the break clips, spoiles the whole thing.
    Also in Aussie soaps the way people just barge into the house without knocking, they could be taking a dump and somebody they hardly know appears through the bathroom door.

You call your buddy
    They answer within half a second
    Yes, yes, no, no, right away

You can pass along a detailed and complicated message in five seconds somehow

Hang up

Clearly this is wrong

And where is the bye, bye, bye, bye, bye?
    Or is that just an Irish thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Those home video shows where they 'preview' what's coming up later but in fact actually show the whole clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

The simpsons is especially guilty of over explaining anything. "Hey look, its X, winner/writer/owner of Y and Z"

L shaped bedsheets

We see the man's chest but never the wimmins??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

gotta be the ads but not just any oul ad i'm talking about
    go-compare, this really irritates the crap out of me. hate it so much i have to switch channels.
    and
    1890 DODO DODO DODO , well thats exactly what it sounds like ;).

mikemac1 wrote: »
    L shaped bedsheets

We see the man's chest but never the wimmins??

Just on that...

They go to bed - have sex (or at least its clearly hinted that what is just about to happen), then they wake up and they are wearing their underwear again...

WTF?

Who strips off, makes love to a partner, gets out, part-dresses again and gets back into bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fake laughter. I reckon 2 and a half men would be funny without it. Way over used in that sh1tty show

You'd reckon wrong...

It's shíte anyway, with or without canned laughter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Who strips off, makes love to a partner, gets out, part-dresses again and gets back into bed?

Ugly people.

Ugly people.
    :D

Thankfully I have never come across that situation personally. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Just on that...

They go to bed - have sex (or at least its clearly hinted that what is just about to happen), then they wake up and they are wearing their underwear again...

WTF?

That's so that their partner can't see the oozing genital scabs when it gets light in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

I hate a load of things. I hate bad TV generally and there is a lot of that around but one thing that really gets to me and it probably sounds a bit silly but have you noticed how people ringing doorbells or knocking on doors in soaps/dramas are THE MOST IMPATIENT PEOPLE IN THE WORLD?

Seriously, they'll ring/knock once and leave it, what 3 seconds? and they're at it again!!

I realise a delay is dead time etc in TV land but jesus let's have some attempt at realism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

How in soapland every second person is a murderer but no-one curses........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

When theyre having sex they both cum at the same time .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Paddysboys

The way no one has to run home to watch a soap on there tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Was a brilliant show, even had the best intro song ever

Brutal show. Charecters had no depth - either good or bad. The main woman in it was whiter than white with no charecter flaws.

GREAT theme tune though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

TV forensics guy: 'So, I'll just swab the victim's fingernails and... hello... Inspector, from the look of this millimetre square patch of dust, I'd say you'll find that the attacker is a 6ft redhead with a penchant for classical music...'
    Real-life forensics guy: '... ' *shuts up while getting on with job*

Oh, also - the way CCTV footage can always be 'analysed' to the point where you can practically read the time on someone's watch.

Grr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Oh, also - the way CCTV footage can always be 'analysed' to the point where you can practically read the time on someone's watch.

Aaaaarrrrrgh!!!

Detective #1, to image-zoom technician
    "Could you zoom in there?...again... Left...zoom in again... into his mouth... Flip that image... Sharpen it up?
    A poppy seed... lodged behind his top front-teeth..."

Detective #2
    "He guys, forensics found the weirdest thing in her vagina..."

"A poppy seed?"

"How did you...?"

"Let's just say our unsub... Is more than familiar with Subs, himself."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nobody in Home and Away or Neighbours or pretty much any other soap ever ever had to take a sh1t or a p1ss.

I've never heard "Hang on, I'm in the jacks".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I've never heard "Hang on, I'm in the jacks".

Or 'Hang on til I empty my colostomy bag'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

In soaps, transactions such as selling homes or businesses are completed within a few hours of the initial decision being made.

Contraception is never an issue right before sex, unless one character is supposed to get pregnant/an STD.

In that crappy TV3 Titanic programme, you couldn't see people's breath in the air when they were in the lifeboats, even though it was an April night in the north Atlantic :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

that sh1te like Take Me Out and X-Factor gets massive ratings and most people wont watch something like The Wire. cant be thinking while watching tv sure.

You can call a taxi and he'll wait for you no bother for ages

Want another cup of tea in the house?
    Fancy another pint in the pub?

No problem, the taximan will wait for you and not be angry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

i still think were all like zombies, were made to work all day then come home and watch people hate each other and argue, feck the tv , get a dog and get out and walk it and listen to music that isnt in the charts by inspirational people, learn a music instrument, get on boards.ie and go to the prison thread if after all this you still want to see people grovel and argue!!!!! yyeeehhhhh live life people

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

In soaps everybody seems to work within walking distance of their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

marozz wrote: »
    In soaps everybody seems to work within walking distance of their homes.

They just don't not walk home - they drink a stone's throw, the entire center of their universe is not even a bus ride......Grrrrrr...........no buses nothing.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The shows that are on for an hour, have 20 minutes of breaks and spend 10 minutes recapping what happened before the break! :eek:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

Was a brilliant show, even had the best intro song

same but instead of Chicago code , i miss the sopranos even though it did have 5 or 6 seasons , it just shouldnt have ended , it was far from stale or boring and at least had another three or four seasons left :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

The way everyone on Winning Streak has friends and a family supporting them. Surely by now, one person who has fallen out with his family and friends would have sent in three stars and got selected - but yet we never see them. Why, damn it!

If I ever get through, even though I have lots of family and friends (he lies) I'm gonna pretend I don't and in homage to all loners and hermits of the world, I'll tell Marty I came alone and point them to the empty row of seats in the audience!

If I spin the wheel and hit big, I'm gonna wear the face of Kathryn Thomas and .. and .. well, that's all I've thought about so far, but more crazy tomfoolery would befall them, be damn sure of that. Let the loners of the world unite be solitary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement