Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you hate about TV shows

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Fashions in films set in the future are nearly always sh*te.

Like Lady Gaga on acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

rgmmg wrote: »
    We called her "Yer Wan who makes the Hot Pots" in our house

you mean Betty Turpin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Agricola wrote: »
    Mostly the way they are dragged out for series upon series, plots developing at a snails pace, all in the name of maximising revenue.

That is the best thing about TV Series.
    movies, they're about two hours long, you gain a small bit of a connection to the character, and the plot is developed in about 5 minutes. But with tv shows, you literally spend years watching the plot unfold and watching the characters develop and become attached to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Originally Posted by Biggins
    Just on that...
    They go to bed - have sex (or at least its clearly hinted that what is just about to happen), then they wake up and they are wearing their underwear again...
    WTF?

Who strips off, makes love to a partner, gets out, part-dresses again and gets back into bed?
    People with kids and no en-suite bathroom maybe?

Parent here. Four kids, no en-suite.
    Don't bother me or wife.
    We find it very strange and comical on tv. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Damokc

Father Ted had a fake audience

Yes but Fr. Ted was funny.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Soaps always have ****e scripts. It's not so much the actors but the writers
    "I can not believe you did such an awful thing"
    "I am sorry. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me"
    "I need some time. Perhaps we will see when I come back"
    And the amount of murders is ridiculous.
    Ros na Rún? Everyone speaks Irish. There was actually an episode where someone was talking to a japanese fella on the phone as gaeilge?
    And TV3 wants everyone to move to Australia, and be thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

One thing that's always annoyed me for years is when people on American programs especially drive somewhere, they always just hop out and never lock the car, put up the roof if it's a convertible or even take the keys with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I hate the way Jedward always represent Ireland at the Eurovision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Just once I'd like a soap to acknowledge something on the news.

Rovers return, tues sep 11 2001

Ken runs into the rovers.

"quick quick..turn on the telly...a plane has crashed into the twin towers!!"

"you should know my now we don't have a telly in here Ken"

"ah...nevermind so. Pint please"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Soaps usually film weeks in advance so they can't do anything current

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Ros na Rún? Everyone speaks Irish. There was actually an episode where someone was talking to a japanese fella on the phone as gaeilge?

Is that actually true, because I saw episodes where they spoke English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

On the eve of the 1998 World Cup Final, Kevin predicted France would win 2-0 with Zidane scoring both, he wasn't far off, they won 3-0 with Zidane scoring 2.

I'm 25 and I remember what happened in an episode of Cornation Street 14 years ago.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

All those people in "Lost" spent six years on a deserted island, but no one ever grew a beard, so much as looked as if they needed a hot shower, or lost any weight.

Do people forget that while the show lasted 6 years, the timeline was far less, infact
    quite a few of the characters spent 3 years OFF the island living a normal life, and they had access to houses on the island with most of the supplys you would need to live a normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Reading this list is a bit weird because if you just watch decent tv show very little of it happens.

Mad Men is my favourite tv show right now and they do simple things like eat food, drink, smoke and say goodbye on the phone. It all makes sense and all of it draws the viewer in.

Sex scenes on all shows are always ridiculous, super super annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

This recent trend towards increased viewer participation in shows where it doesn't suit.

"Mary in Mayo just tweeted to say that she will be voting No".

"The blogosphere is lighting up with analysis after the debate"

I don't give a fúck what Mary in Mayo thinks about the topic being discussed, I want the presenter to grill the Minister who is appearing on his/her show. If I want the opinion of John Q then I'll wander down to the pub, and ask him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

TV Show's getting cancelled far too quickly. If The Simpsons was only starting today, would it even make it to Season 2? It seems any sort of ratings drop and the show is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Charlie Brooker ruined this for me so I am going to ruin it for the rest of you.

Lazy documentary makers always start the show with a sentence like "I begin my journey in/with/heading to..." and you see the narrator climb into a car/train/ plane.

Think about it, it happens ALL the time.

Ruined a lot of documentaries for me.

Or just cheap American documentaries overall, where they repeat the same premise and 10 seconds of footage about 35 times during the show for new people.

Show some more respect for your viewers, they'll work it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Biggins wrote: »
    One that not many kop.

A chap (or woman, rarer though) walks into a bar and order a pint of larger.
    5 seconds later, there is is in front of him!
    Ok... WTF!!!

Unless the taps are blasting it out by jet propulsion (and thus mess everywhere anyway), no one gets a pint poured in 5 seconds or less!
    If it's in the UK they probably have the pints pre-poured, since they favour warm, flat beer over there.

I hate the way:
    women have sex with their bras on.
    Women fight with high heels on and their hair down. Sure, stillettos will do damage, but you're liable to fall over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I've thought of another one. When a girl finds out she is pregnant she always goes out and buys like 10 pregnancy tests just to make sure she's pregnant. Surely one would suffice? Why is there this stigma that pregnancy tests are massively unreliable so you have to be 5 of them? The costs of pregnancy tests as well are extortionate. It's a bit stupid if there's some young girl who's struggling to make ends meet and ends up spunking €100 on pregnancy tests!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Soap characters drink every day of the week but only seem to actually get drunk if

a- Special occasion or

b- They are the lone alcoholic in the show (and most of these seem to have a cast of 50 odd)

No mention of football either. I know there are rules regarding subtle advertising and such but loads of shows regularly mention a fan affiliation amongst characters.

Also soap bars lack a tv/ live sports, a pool table, live bands, quiz nights,....eh, pretty much anything that has drawn crowds to pubs post 1962.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

And a single cough in a soap is the first indication of a terminal illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The way Americans talk about the 'British' accent. They don't seem to realise that there are three countries in Britain and think there are two accents; a really annoying posh one and the type of Cockney accent from the 1800s that you would hear in Oliver!. They know even less about Ireland and think everyone talks like someone out of Darby O'Gill and The Little People.

No one ever wipes their internet history. If the cops want to catch someone, even someone who is supposedly an expert hacker, all they have to do is spend five minutes looking at their computer and they will find everything that person ever searched for on the internet.

If you need information on anyone you can just enter their name into a search engine and that person and any crimes they committed will be on the first page of results. Sometimes a results page doesn't even appear; you just enter someones name and the exact news article you need appears straight away.

If something is on the news that you want a friend to know about just phone them and say "turn on the TV". You don't have to specify what channel you want them to turn on. No one ever has to plug in their television or use the button on the actual television either. They just press the on switch on the remote control.

• Advertisement

The way seasons last 6 to 10 episodes and then you have to wait a full year for season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

No one ever wipes their internet history. If the cops want to catch someone, even someone who is supposedly an expert hacker, all they have to do is spend five minutes looking at their computer and they will find everything that person ever searched for on the internet.

Case in point being Law and Order SVU. Every episode kicks off with one person who surely, clearly, is the perpatrator....of course it all ends up to have been a bit circumstantial and coincidental, and the actual offender is a person who provided the officers with a very minor piece of information in the first 10 minutes.
    If something is on the news that you want a friend to know about just phone them and say "turn on the TV". You don't have to specify what channel you want them to turn on. No one ever has to plug in their television or use the button on the actual television either. They just press the on switch on the remote control.

And even though the news story is ongoing, the person will only watch the first few minutes of it, then switch off and get the rest of their information from another character. Used to hppen quite a bit in the Sopranos, Tony would be watching a news feature about indictments, trials, a murder or whatnot, regarding either his or the New York crews,, and wouldnt even bother waiting until the end of the report! If one of my mates rang me to tell me a few of our mates were being arrested on live tv I think I would be interested enough to give it a full watch :pac:

And on a bizarrely opposite note 90s films often showed the White House getting their news on a foreign incident directly from a CNN fake, rather than their people on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Is that actually true, because I saw episodes where they spoke English.

Nah, they speak English often enough actually. In fairness, they live in the Gaeltacht, so it's pretty realistic that they speak Irish to one another! I didn't see your episode with the Japanese fella, but I have seen episodes where a character is in hospital in Galway and they speak English to the doctors, and they occasionally will read aloud from an English newspaper article. Also, the characters throw in a ton of English words into their Irish ("Abair leí go bhfuil tú sorry!" - "Oh my God, a Chatríona, an bhfuil sé sin fíor?" etc.). I think it's great that they do that, because they could have gone down the "Irish-and-Irish-alone" route, but they chose to reflect how it actually is nowadays.

I know it's cool to slag off Ros na Rún, but it's one of the better soaps, some great dramatic storylines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Gardaí are always bumbling clueless fools
    Garda detectives are always sadastic bastards who would bate a confession out of you. Think Sean McGinley

Tell me it ain't so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I've thought of another one. When a girl finds out she is pregnant she always goes out and buys like 10 pregnancy tests just to make sure she's pregnant. Surely one would suffice? Why is there this stigma that pregnancy tests are massively unreliable so you have to be 5 of them? The costs of pregnancy tests as well are extortionate. It's a bit stupid if there's some young girl who's struggling to make ends meet and ends up spunking €100 on pregnancy tests!

I think it's moreso denial/desperation. I saw it in real life; behind someone in the queue in Boots with a basket full of them, it was well over a hundred quid! Might have been for a clinic or something...but in general you do hear of people buying a few brands if they really really are desperate for a positive/negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Has anyone else noticed that in nearly all the newer cop shows the lead cop/investigator is a woman. Castle, The Mentalist, Body of Proof, Unforgetable, Rizzole and Isles. I am all for seeing women in powerful roles but this is taking positive discrimination to a ridiculous levle.

Also women in high heels and fashionable clothes, especially on CSI and similar programmes. On the news we see crime scene technicials all covered up in one piece disposable suits and shoe covers but on the TV shows they look like their attending a fashion show.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

where they drink all day then in the next scene he drives her home and performs adequately. THAT IS NOT WHAT HAPPENS! Reality is where they end up licking the walls and arguing then they fall out of a taxi and into bed where he can't get it up. STOP PRETENDING LIFE IS PERFECT! STOP HOLLYWOODISING EVERYTHING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Where is the show depicting the heroes of the modern world - a bunch of people who spend their days pontificating over everyone else and their business, and then blasting them with piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Then leave the box at the top of the kitchen(!!?!!) bin.

No dumping the box elsewhere or burning,just leave it there....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Cliffhangers! I want to know what happens now goddammit:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

where they drink all day then in the next scene he drives her home and performs adequately. THAT IS NOT WHAT HAPPENS! Reality is where they end up licking the walls and arguing then they fall out of a taxi and into bed where he can't get it up. STOP PRETENDING LIFE IS PERFECT! STOP HOLLYWOODISING EVERYTHING!

life sucks to be you:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

In 24 all the bad/dramatic things happened on the hour.

In all those seasons did Jack Bauer never wonder why bad things happened to him at the top of every hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

When I turn on the history channel, there's no history.... ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Fair City - just.... just everything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

dsmythy wrote: »
    When I turn on the history channel, there's no history.... ever.

http://i.imgur.com/KJ9aL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Why do computers have to constantly beep, whirr, and make other stupid sounds whenever someone uses them?

"Have a look at this document!"

*opens up document*

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Just once I'd like to see someone stop using a computer mid-way just to mute those sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cop shows where the cold blooded killer always feels the need to make an emotional confession and explain why they did it at the end.
    Shut up and lawyer up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

One week until retirement?
    Police lieutenant assigns you a rookie to train up

Sorry but you are fooked and you will be dead before the week is over

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fruvai wrote: »
    Soaps usually film weeks in advance so they can't do anything current
    Drop the dead donkey used to do voiceovers on the credits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Scrubs gets gay after 21 minutes in every episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Watching Fair City there as you do and that one Caoimhe Dillion walked into the kitchen with a take away and wearing a short skirt. Best show on the box imo Best box on the show imo.

FYP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the way US shows don't have surprises,

the jokes and plot twists in some are telegraphed so far in advance you are bored waiting for them to drop the predictable punch line,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

People never close doors. They walk into their hotel room, apartment or house and leave the door open.
    When a news article of a crime comes on the radio or tv, and the chararacter that comitted the crime is listening, they always turn it off. Surely you'd listen to the full thing get an idea of wheather the police are onto you?
    When people pay for stuff they almost never ask the price or are told the price, but they hand over a note that's always the exact change.
    People getting chased in a horror movie falling and hurting their ankle is pathetic. Same with their car not starting.
    Americans were about 10 years too late for mobile phones. They still have those crappy answering machines with a little tape that play the message out loud when no one picks up. I never saw/heard of anyone having one of these ever! But if you ever see one for sale, don't buy one, because you'll always get a message giving away something at a really inconvienient moment.
    Coffee makes you sober.
    In american films, people with cockney accents are always dirty scum of the earth types.
    Biggins wrote: »
    Just on that...

They go to bed - have sex (or at least its clearly hinted that what is just about to happen), then they wake up and they are wearing their underwear again...

WTF?

Who strips off, makes love to a partner, gets out, part-dresses again and gets back into bed?

If you have a big penis you need to sleep with pants on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

That reverse cymbal crash they use to punctuate every minuscule moment in reality TV, American reality TV especially. Drives me absolutely mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

In Australian soaps (particularly Home and Away), characters who move away to "the city" are never seen again and the impression is given that they're practically emigrating. Yet other characters can go to "the city" and back in the same day when required!

Advertisement