Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead - Season 3 [AMC - US | No Comic Book Discussion!!] **Spoilers!**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

nuxxx wrote: »
    Another excellent episode, first 2 have been really good. Rick killing that con with the axe was great :p

I do believe it was actually a machete old boy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Rick has really grown himself a serious set of balls there now hasnt he

Zero bull**** is being taken - love it!!!

Merle I think, the preview for next weeks show, had him in it :p

T-Dog must be crapping himself

I dont agree that it was merle. Without saying too much I think this watcher/stalker person may tie into a particularly gruesome storyline from the comic book that happens during the early days in the prison.

Also there has been mention/speculation of another character joining the group. This could be him/her.
    I dont think we'll see Merle until Michonne and Andrea are captured by the governeor.

Edit: Just spotted this in the Comic Con trailer after it was pointed out on another forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCzDzfY6FIk

At 3:21 of this trailer you can see T-Dog, Rick and Daryl
    walking out of the prison to speak to someone. The trailer has been edited to make it look like its the governor when it clearly isn't as the person is wearing a prison jump-suit. Could this be the person that was watching Carol? Perhaps another prisoner who may have left the prison before they got there?

This would tie into what I mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Tenger wrote: »
    I am not arguing with the rules. Personally it didn't get me, I watched it in the US......(stupid ad breaks every 5 minutes) I would have mentioned the subject in a slightly more oblique fashion. (On that note I am looking forward to the events that are coming up in the next episode!)

Personally I stayed away from all GoT TV series discussion until I had seen the episodes even though I have read the books previously.

But this brings up a point discussed over the last few days. People were calling for a Walking Dead sub-forum. Ppl are asking why not? This has a few issues, as the Games of Thrones sub-forums threw up. Walking Dead is both a Graphic Novel and TV series, so which takes precedence? Where should it be placed? Should you allow a free for all forum or a very tightly controlled forum with very specific thread titles and spoiler warnings?

You have readers and viewers discussing the same subject matter. Some ppl have read or viewed further than others. So there is huge scope for spoilers. And yes I completely agree with the theory "Don't read if you don't want to know"
    Sods law states that you will always get some fool who posts something (intentionally or not) in the no spoilers thread or the Episode 2 ONLY thread.

If it didn't get you and you agree with the maxim 'don't read if you don't want to know' why exactly bring it up at all lol .

Onto the episode , it was another strong one for me both in terms of zombie action and what had been the weakest part of previous seasons ie the talking bits . The writers have really upped their game in terms of the pace of the show and in the speed of thought they have embued the characters with, whereas last season it would take a character 2-3 eps to come to a decision we could see coming miles off this season I'm finding myself being surprised by the characters forethought.

Case in point
      T-Dawg and Daryl hanging back after they get Hershel back to the cellblock to keep the prisoners away from the others allowing Rick imply greater numbers to dissuade them from forcing the issue.
      Rick telling Glen to handcuff hershel just incase
      Maggie,glens and seperately carols conversation about the practicalities of being one legged man in a world where all they seem to do is run.
      Ricks take no **** this is our prison **** happens attitude
      Carols icky foresight about the need to practice c-sections on cadavers

The Rick Lori interactions that I deplored so much last season(because she was always moaning and he would just take it) are so much more interesting and tension filled this season none more so then the ones that more or less topped and tailed ep . When Lori took Rick aside to talk about the prisoners possible fate I initially thought oh no here we go again Lori's up to her old tricks she's telling him that if he needed to off them that would be just dandy and was very pleased to see the writers and rick were in lockstep with me and had him say "well you say that now !!!" leading her to reassure him she knows there is no malice in him that he is a good man, but to do whatever is necessary to keep the group safe. The body language in that last scene spoke volumes about the gulf still between them tho with rick still unable to look her in the eye even as he tries to comfort her with a pat on her shoulder from an arms length away.

Next monday can't come soon enough .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Anyone else think that Herschel is now Patient Zero.

Washout wrote: »

How do you mean ?

I know what you're getting at but no he's not. All that happened was that he avoided an infection by having a limb amputated. He still has the virus or whatever it is, just like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Tenger wrote: »
    But this brings up a point discussed over the last few days. People were calling for a Walking Dead sub-forum. Ppl are asking why not? This has a few issues, as the Games of Thrones sub-forums threw up. Walking Dead is both a Graphic Novel and TV series, so which takes precedence? Where should it be placed? Should you allow a free for all forum or a very tightly controlled forum with very specific thread titles and spoiler warnings?

You have readers and viewers discussing the same subject matter. Some ppl have read or viewed further than others. So there is huge scope for spoilers. And yes I completely agree with the theory "Don't read if you don't want to know"
    like the game of thrones forum, each episode will have 2 threads, one will state

Episode X Have read the comics (AMC US) **spoilers**,

and the other thread will be

Episode X Have not read the comics (AMC US) **spoilers**

anyone who has read the comics can still give info on the not read thread if their not up to date, i remember a lot of people in the GOT forum waiting for events to play out and enjoying the response to the people who have not read the book,

but anyway onto the episode, hard core no **** been given or taken, about bloody time, like i said before the season started, this will be the season that will show the true potential of the show, and it hasnt disappointed:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Season 4 renewal announcent expected soon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Another great episode, not sure if Ive ever said that about this show, lets hope they have learnt from their mistakes from last season and keep this going.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I'm glad we didn't see too much of Carol's.....eh.....experimentation.
    It could have been the most gross thing we've seen yet.

Lori continues to irritate. Why haven't they fed her to a walker already? :confused:

C'mon she's nowhere near as annoying as she was last season in fairness , the show and indeed the character has at the very least acknowledged her C**tishness in a nice fan winking meta moment .

She's not anyones fav character for sure but to say she is as irritating as ever is wrong imo.

She's not anyones fav character for sure but to say she is as irritating as ever is wrong imo.

+1

She's turned into the character we all love to hate for sure and the conflict between her and Rick does add a dramatic element to the show which is an interesting aside from endless zombie killing. I'll be keen to see where the writers take her. I do hope her and RIck reconcile. But not because I'm a hopeless romantic!! ;-)

Major Comic Book Spoiler:
    I seriously hope they give her the same death in the show as she gets in the comic book. When she dies Carl really comes into his own as a miniature version of his father.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Well every show does need a lightening rod for fan grumbles!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Merle
    I think, the preview for next weeks show, had him in it :p

T-Dog must be crapping himself
    WTF man, use a fúcking spoiler for that ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

will there be a back story episode showing what happened between the end of season 2 and start of season 3 because something hardcore must have happened for rick to be so distant from his wife, or does he blame her for manipulating him into killing shane - i mean he didn't seem that put out by it last season, something else must have happened, did she tell him that she is sure he is not the dad i wonder, after previously saying she wasn't sure? any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Meh, he's been all over the preview material anyway, even on google image search.

Speaking of which, if you google walking dead on the cast bar on the right of the screen they've replaced Shane's normal portrait with his zombie self. Must suck for people just getting into it.

snausages wrote: »
    Meh, he's been all over the preview material anyway, even on google image search.
    Some of us don't watch previews, or randomly google image search the walking dead. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Spoiler tags added.

Pro tip: If quoting a spoiler, try adding spoiler tags (otherwise we have to edit multiple posts!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Im glad their finally giving time to some action as opposed to all the relationships and stuff.

Daryl is by far the most likeable, cool character in the show, and not even in the comic apperently, if he goes, I go.

The following spoiler is all from ep 2
    Herschel survived, I couldn't believe it I thought he was a goner. When Lori was grabbed by Herschel I didn't see any coming back from it. Its nice to be getting a bit of a break from Andrea, the sooner she gets ripped limb from limb the better.
    Carl is still a thick.
    I don't like Glenn's bit either (Maggie), I don't know why, I just have a feeling she'll be trouble.
    I thought Daryl should have shot that prisoner as soon as he had cleared the zombie off Rick, he saw what happened, thought he'd be willing to make that decision for himself.
    We'll see how Daryl changes once Merle is reintroduced, based on Daryl's popularity I'd say there'll be plenty of friction and it could take a leading role in a couple of episodes (until Daryl sticks an arrow in his head :D)
    Carol is becoming more likeable, being proactive and has a bit of a role in the group as Herschels student, now if she could just get back in the prison it'd be great

All in all good stuff all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Some of us don't watch previews, or randomly google image search the walking dead. :confused:

Yeah, but the fact that they've featured it so prominently just seems to promise that there'll be far more important developments in the next episode than *spoiler*. I don't think it should affect your enjoyment all that much. It wouldn't be the same as if this week's machete-killing of Tomas was spoiled, or Herschel's leg in episode 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some people just DON'T WANT TO KNOW, snausages. Fact of life. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

John_D80 wrote: »
    I know what you're getting at but no he's not. All that happened was that he avoided an infection by having a limb amputated. He still has the virus or whatever it is, just like everyone else.

The reason I thought was he died and came back...maybe it reset the walker virus in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Right. Just bear with me here. Couple of questions ....

So if everyone is infected, when they die they turn into a zombie automatically ? (Like Shane did)

And so if a zombie bites you and you are already infected then it's just annoying rather than fatal right ?

The reason I thought was he died and came back...maybe it reset the walker virus in him.

But he didn't die though. He stopped breathing for a few seconds. Huge difference between that and dying dude.

TheUsual wrote: »

So if everyone is infected, when they die they turn into a zombie automatically ? (Like Shane did)

Correct, regardless of the cause of death everyone turns once they die. Unless severe brain tauma was the cause of death of course.
    And so if a zombie bites you and you are already infected then it's just annoying rather than fatal right ?

I know this may sound odd but try to seperate the bites from the actual virus itself.

No one knows how the actual virus started or even how it spread to every living person. Its most likely airborne. When a person dies they re-animate between 3mins and 8 hrs later (according to Dr Jenner).But it doesn't affect the carriers until they die. Its not been proven that the bites actually spread the virus.

Now as for the bites themselves, just consider them as the most poisonous and highly infectious animal bites in the world. After being bitten a victim will eventually expire because of the poisonous/infectious bite, and become a walker themselves as a result of the virus, not the bite.

So if by some miracle there was a person who didn't have the virus and was bitten, he would still die but he wouldn't re-animate.

Hope this helps, although having just read it back myself, it may just confuse you even more. :-)

Edit: Just want to add that this is my opinion based on having paid attention to what has went on in the show for 2 and a bit seasons and having discussed it with other fans. Not an official explanation, before anyone gets on my case over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Great Episode, one thing that did bug me was Carl back to his stupid wandering ways

donfers wrote: »
    will there be a back story episode showing what happened between the end of season 2 and start of season 3 because something hardcore must have happened for rick to be so distant from his wife, or does he blame her for manipulating him into killing shane - i mean he didn't seem that put out by it last season, something else must have happened, did she tell him that she is sure he is not the dad i wonder, after previously saying she wasn't sure? any ideas?

Can't see it happening not in this medium anyways , besides Ricks attitude towards Lori Stems from events that happened on screen during the course of the 2nd season and not anything that happened during the gap in seasons. He doesn't blame her for manipulating him he blames her for manipulating him to kill his best friend then having the nerve to look at him like he was something you would scrape off your shoe after he tells her about it in the season finale.

No he still carries the virus just like everyone else , the fact he didn't turn is simply down to the fact he didn't actually die(the brain can survive for like 4 minsor something before it dies from lack of oxygen, lori got it back pumping before then so the Virus never took hold of whatever part of the brain cdc guy said it infects before he was revived)

Yes death natural or violent whether by bite or by bullet(anywhere but the brain) will see you rise from the dead.

A zombie bite(or indeed a human bite) in a non amputatable area without a **** load of antivirals can be very fatal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It came up on the end of the episode I watched in the ending credits, figured everyone had seen it, my bad

Not conclusive anyway, it just flashed his face for like 1 second at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

i think Carl has changed a lot,

Sure he wandered off but he had an air of confidance about him when he came back and had the medicine, he's becoming like he is in the comics

KevIRL wrote: »
    Great Episode, one thing that did bug me was Carl back to his stupid wandering ways
    allanb49 wrote: »
    i think Carl has changed a lot,

Sure he wandered off but he had an air of confidance about him when he came back and had the medicine, he's becoming like he is in the comics

I agree with allan sure Carl wandered off again but while last season his wanderings nearly always had a bodycount this time he actually helped save someones life via the sterile gauze he retrieved from the infirmary , he is no longer the wandering liability he once was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fantastic stuff..

.. Jaysus, losing Frank Darabont was the best thing this show ever did!

Not to open up a can of worms - but I would implore people to ease up on comic book spoilers in the thread. There's probably a thread elsewhere for that.

Some of the most worrying news is that thry'll probablyhave to give Lori a C-section, that complicates things slightly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

When they leave the two prisoners in the other cell block, there's loads of dead prisoners already there. They all have their hands bound behind their backs and looked to have been killed execution style. What do you think happened? It looks like they were shot from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

Good episode.

I'm not a squeamish person, but tonights episode nearly turned my stomach. Nothing to do with zombies, but the thoughts of childbirth. Maybe I shouldn't have had that joint :(

It came up on the end of the episode I watched in the ending credits, figured everyone had seen it, my bad

Not conclusive anyway, it just flashed his face for like 1 second at the end

Ahem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Another great episode. Love the pace they are setting and hope they manage to keep it up. This show needs fresh meat on a regular basis that can be killed off by zombies :) Otherwise, they lose the impact of being a real threat.

Rick and Carl are far better characters this season than what we've seen before. It'll be interesting to see if that bad-ass-ness turns to darkness over time. Ricks conversations with Lori already hints at that.

The only characters I'm not enjoying at the moment are Herschel daughters. They don't really do anything of interest. Looking forward to seeing Herschel on a peg leg.

The only let down of the episode was at the start when they open the door out of the canteen to the hoard of zombies that just moments earlier had been chasing them. I was expecting a swarm... we got one zombie. WTF?! Where did they all go?

Gross out of the week - Zombie C-Section !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Glad to see Carl was useful on his travels this time; god Lori wrecks my head; surely she deserves a worst mother award for having never once watched her son; the amount of times that kid evaded the house/safe place etc. Then she gives him a yelling.

Also excited for zombie c-section:)

Really enjoying this season; interested for when and if
    Andrea and her samurai friend find the prison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I particularly liked the opening scene, absolute chaos, lots of shouting, blood, new faces, then back out through the door leaving behind silence, confused faces, and Herschels leg in a pool of blood.

grizzly wrote: »
    When they leave the two prisoners in the other cell block, there's loads of dead prisoners already there. They all have their hands bound behind their backs and looked to have been killed execution style. What do you think happened? It looks like they were shot from behind.

Definitely an mass-exectution of some sort but we can only speculate as to why or even how this happened. File this one under 'remains unanswered'.
    Very disturbing image though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Great stuff again. Long may it continue. It's as if the writers were following this thread during season 2! Love the darkness of it. Rick and the gang finally behaving like they have to to survive in this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

John_D80 wrote: »
    Definitely an mass-exectution of some sort but we can only speculate as to why or even how this happened. File this one under 'remains unanswered'.
    Very disturbing image though.

I just thought it was part of the cleaning out the cell block for them - Rick, Darryl, T-bone steak all went in, killed whatever zombies they found (presumably ones still locked in their cells) using the preferred methog od impaling them through the skull. Oncekilled and they unlock the doors, zombies fall out, ready to be cleared out.
    I also thinnk they took a bit of poetic license with trying to show the new guys that this is how the world is now. Death everyhwere, presented rather gruesomely to the 2 who have been locked in a cafeteria for 10 months. And as a twist on what is now normality, they should take them all out and burn them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Rick still retains some sort of humanity in not executing the remaining 2 prisoners . The Carl-girl thing is a small bit odd looking ..... then again 12/13 year old hormonal teen and a 15/16 year old girl , she probably accepts her only chance of a bit of action longer term is with the wee chap. unless she is holding out on Justin Bieber having survived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Rick still retains some sort of humanity in not executing the remaining 2 prisoners . The Carl-girl thing is a small bit odd looking ..... then again 12/13 year old hormonal teen and a 15/16 year old girl , she probably accepts her only chance of a bit of action longer term is with the wee chap. unless she is holding out on Justin Bieber having survived.

I didn't read the comics, what's going on with Daryl and Carol? is there something there??

cjmcork wrote: »

I didn't read the comics, what's going on with Daryl and Carol? is there something there??

Daryl isn't in the comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I dont think anything has happened bar flirting, but it surprises me. Tbh if I were either of them Id definitely be looking for a bit of action off the other. It would be a natural reaction to the horror in which they find themselves to want some human closeness and comfort.

I think Daryl has a lot of empathy and humanity in him, he comforted Carol before with the Cherokee rose and even in the last episode told the cons he was sorry about their friends. He is a good guy, but he seems to distance himself emotionally from his friends.

Be interesting to see what happens when and if he encounters Merle again.

• Advertisement

didnt read them either but hey looks to me a clear case of nearest living woman will do?!! Daryl aint in the comic books AFAIK. In fairness Maggie has her man, Rick will have to make do with Lori, Carl is being groomed by his little older woman, so i guess Daryl will have Carol and i'm sure they will introduce a love interest for Michonne. Everybody gets some!

retalivity wrote: »
    I just thought it was part of the cleaning out the cell block for them - Rick, Darryl, T-bone steak all went in, killed whatever zombies they found (presumably ones still locked in their cells) using the preferred methog od impaling them through the skull. Oncekilled and they unlock the doors, zombies fall out, ready to be cleared out.
    I also thinnk they took a bit of poetic license with trying to show the new guys that this is how the world is now. Death everyhwere, presented rather gruesomely to the 2 who have been locked in a cafeteria for 10 months. And as a twist on what is now normality, they should take them all out and burn them.

I don't know if you watch the scene again all the prisoners have their arms handcuffed behind their back which seems like something one would do in order for an orderly execution when they were still alive but who knows, I don't think its anything that will ever be brought up again or resolved the ptbs probably just added it for flavor to get us imagining the events that would lead to that scene.

Daryl wasn't in the comics(tho Kirkman may decide to introduce him at some point) and Carols sole Romance in the comics was with a person who wasn't introduced in the tv show so her and Daryls flirtations is new territory.

didnt read them either but hey looks to me a clear case of nearest living woman will do?!! Daryl aint in the comic books AFAIK. In fairness Maggie has her man, Rick will have to make do with Lori, Carl is being groomed by his little older woman, so i guess Daryl will have Carol and i'm sure they will introduce a love interest for Michonne. Everybody gets some!

what about poor old T-Dawg

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    what about poor old T-Dawg

he barely gets to speak let alone worry about having sex! maybe they'll find a stash of Playboy mags in the prison and let him go about his business quietly off screen :p

he barely gets to speak let alone worry about having sex! maybe they'll find a stash of Playboy mags in the prison and let him go about his business quietly off screen :p

Maybe he's never in it because he's off having sex, you never know. Ever notice Maggie, Lori and Carol are rarely all in the same shot, go on T you dog!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement