Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead - Season 3 [AMC - US | No Comic Book Discussion!!] **Spoilers!**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    what about poor old T-Dawg

Andrea - sweet for the black meat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

i know this is pedantic but really how hard would it have been to cut the proper leg off? clearly gets bitten on the left and they chop off the right leg. surely someone in there coulda taken 2 seconds to check that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

i know this is pedantic but really how hard would it have been to cut the proper leg off? clearly gets bitten on the left and they chop off the right leg. surely someone in there coulda taken 2 seconds to check that out.

He is bitten on his right leg. Might want to watch it again.

tvnutz wrote: »
    He is bitten on his right leg. Might want to watch it again.

Bit like in the Matrix! Door on the Left. Your other left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

retalivity wrote: »
    I just thought it was part of the cleaning out the cell block for them - Rick, Darryl, T-bone steak all went in, killed whatever zombies they found (presumably ones still locked in their cells) using the preferred method.....

Look again. They corpses are all face down with hands cuffed behind their backs. Cant be 100% but they look like plasticuffs. And they are all in a neat row with their feet still inside the cells. Doesn't really look like a zombie clean up to me.

And there is nothing in the first 2 episodes to suggest that anyone from the group had already been in that cell block.

on a more general point, and i know this has been asked before, but would the army really be over-run against a slow moving opposition like zombies? Sniper teams on every high rise building etc. I love the show but i do find it requires suspension of disbelief (beyond the fact they are zombies!) that the most heavily armed country in the world could be over-run to that extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

John_D80 wrote: »
    Look again. They corpses are all face down with hands cuffed behind their backs. Cant be 100% but they look like plasticuffs. And they are all in a neat row with their feet still inside the cells. Doesn't really look like a zombie clean up to me.

And there is nothing in the first 2 episodes to suggest that anyone from the group had already been in that cell block.

Purely my own imagination but here is what I think could have happened:

Some guards got left in the prison while zombieland was happening outside. No one came to relieve them of duty and the prisoners, realising there was something major wrong began going nuts. The guards left behind didnt want to set them free and cuffed them in their cells to keep them quiet. When they realised that the world was basically ending, they shot them rather than let them starve in their cells? Or because they were too afraid of them to let them out? Or because they didnt want them to turn into zombies? There were some guards left, we see them in the riot gear. And the guys left in the cafeteria said something about one guard bringing them there for safety didnt he?

Anyway - just a theory......

on a more general point, and i know this has been asked before, but would the army really be over-run against a slow moving opposition like zombies? Sniper teams on every high rise building etc. I love the show but i do find it requires suspension of disbelief (beyond the fact they are zombies!) that the most heavily armed country in the world could be over-run to that extent.

Thats the beauty of this show, you can speculate and hypothesise for all these instances where there are no apparent or obvious answers.

For instance, its entirely possible that the virus began in the military before it hit the civilian population doing sufficent damage there to render a military action basically ineffective. One of thousands of possibilities :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I really can't get my head around the prisoners shot outside their cells, it appeared they were shot lying down on their fronts the way they were found, I'm basing that on the way the blood was spattered infront of them (but I'm no Dexter). Surely there was an outbreak in the prison, and a riot/scramble for freedom insued, or, there was an outbreak, which was contained and then the prison guards decided to execute all the prisoners but only got through one cell block before they were over run by prisoners or zombies? The fact that the prisoner was given 'a piece' :cool: means at least some of the guards knew the severity of the situation, maybe Carl will wander off and get the full story from the prisoners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think there's any significance to the corpses outside the cells; it's just a bit of texture to reinforce to the two prisoners what a thankless, godforsaken place they're in.

A strong followup to last weeks episode, the signs are pretty good that this show might finally come good; that said, the essence of drama is conflict & ideally I'd like some signs that the Ricktocracy will have something to contend with other than the odd walker: I hope we're not just sitting around til the baby pops out. I figured maybe those prisoners might have been that source, but a machete to the head answered that! From what I heard of Andrea's storyline outside the prison, we could find the conflict from there.

I feel sorry though for Sarah Callie (Lori), she has absolutely nothing to work with as an actor; Lori's as shrill & obnoxious as ever, and her chewing out of Carl made no sense whatsoever. Even Carol got a bit of a makeover from s2 - s3, making her capable & confident (even if her flirting with Daryl was just weird). Hell, at least T-Dog got some lines now.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't think there's any significance to the corpses outside the cells; it's just a bit of texture to reinforce to the two prisoners what a thankless, godforsaken place they're in.

A strong followup to last weeks episode, the signs are pretty good that this show might finally come good; that said, the essence of drama is conflict & ideally I'd like some signs that the Ricktocracy will have something to contend with other than the odd walker: I hope we're not just sitting around til the baby pops out. I figured maybe those prisoners might have been that source, but a machete to the head answered that! From what I heard of Andrea's storyline outside the prison, we could find the conflict from there.

I feel sorry though for Sarah Callie (Lori), she has absolutely nothing to work with as an actor; Lori's as shrill & obnoxious as ever, and her chewing out of Carl made no sense whatsoever. Even Carol got a bit of a makeover from s2 - s3, making her capable & confident (even if her flirting with Daryl was just weird). Hell, at least T-Dog got some lines now.

Yes I agree theres probably no significance to the prisoners corpses but a scene like that conjures alot of curiosity.

Carol mentioned Lori was already almost or passed her due date, we mightn't have to wait long for her to pop that zombie sprog.

We have the stranger lurking in the woods which is going to cause conflict in the prison and Michonne and Andrea out wandering who went completely unaccounted for in ep.2, I'd say were in for alot of conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I think its plausible so far as it goes for the following reasons .

Firstly zombie films, tv shows , comic books zombie lore in general don't exist in the Walking dead universe as far as I know, it's why they refer to them as walkers and not Zombies. So if you come at the idea from that perspective then the reasons for the situation becoming so fubar become a little more plausible . Correct me if I'm wrong but SOP for your average national guardsmen would be to hit the center mass right ?? which is something we know wouldn't stop a zombie , sure eventually they would find the sweet spot but how many troops will they have lost by then. If one was to follow the quite reasonable logic used in the battle of yonkers in Max Brooks world war Z even bombs would be ineffective on any zombie not at its ground zero or decapitated by shrapnel.

Secondly due to the nature of the beast, that it is infact in all of us, there is no enemy beachhead to bottle up and wipe out just pockets of infection anywhere someone has died naturally or otherwise, which means that even if every service man didn't desert to go home and protect their families there simply wouldn't be enough of them to stop the spread.

Thirdly as awesome as the american military was/is it's achilles heal has always been asymmetrical warfare as we saw in Vietnam and see in Afghanistan , a zombie outbreak would be asymmetrical warfare on a whole new level . Even if they were able to redeploy some of their assets which are currently overseas how much of it could they bring to bare effectively domestically in time to make a difference ?

and finally given that unlike Romeros films it doesn't take a bite and everyone is already infected, overun hospitals full of the bitten/infected , of people shot by paranoid neighbours/the military or just people just dying of natural causes would become zombie factories spewing out death and not the safe haven people thought.

That's the way I see it anyways .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Don't know why Daryl didn't just kill the prisoner with the revolver straight out...pain in the hole from the start:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

After giving up midway though season 2 after Moany McWiferson crashed into a ninja zombie I decided to watch the last two eps of season 2 and start afresh, season 3 is big improvement so far, Rick is a badass now instead of being stupidly moral and nearly getting everyone killed every episode. Glad the old guy is gone, I like Jeffrey Demunn as an actor but his character was as annoying as fcuk. and the prison makes for a much better setting than the farm, hope the standard keeps up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Basq wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff..

.. Jaysus, losing Frank Darabont was the best thing this show ever did!

Not to open up a can of worms - but I would implore people to ease up on comic book spoilers in the thread. There's probably a thread elsewhere for that.

IMO there should be no comic book spoilers in this thread.
    this is the TV forum and the walking dead thread, so its a thread about the TV show.

if people wanna talk about the comics, it should be in the comic forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

event wrote: »
    Agreed... until we know how closely they are following the comic book this season, there's really far too much that could lead to spoilers.

I'll append that to the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

An explanation for this was put forward in World War Z, a great book about Z-day, and it was that soldiers are trained to aim for the centre of the chest, and to change the habit of a lifetime isn't easy. Then there is the fact that they will be outnumbered by an enemy that scares you because they will not die. If they survived the first few weeks after the infection, I'm sure that they would be much more proficient in downing walkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

DeepBlue wrote: »

*runs in and bars all the windows*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

event wrote: »
    IMO there should be no comic book spoilers in this thread.
    this is the TV forum and the walking dead thread, so its a thread about the TV show.

Differences between the comic and the show is a valid topic for discussion imo but at least with the new Walking Dead forum it should be possible to facilitate that without spoiling it for those that haven't read the comic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

DeepBlue wrote: »

Excellent, I could never find a persistent thread for the comic book discussion and will be nice to be able to speak openly about the comic, tv show and game storylines in one thread!

It's a Ricktatorship!!!!

What section is the TWD forum in? Cant find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

What section is the TWD forum in? Cant find it.

It's not live yet, they're setting it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Was thinking about it the other night the whole debacle with Daranbont and the new guy,

Daranbont was and is a film director, the pace seemed off from the get go, he brought it to life but didn't know how to manage it i think,

Which is what we where left with last year with the transitional period, I've got a soft spot for his stuff but i think his forray into TV land was a bit hit and miss.

It seems Mazzara was showrunner on the shield while i never watched it i've heard good things,

It would be interesting to see what darabont did with the show and how different it would have been, i've seen the deleted scene in the old folks home from season 2. So wonder how much more footage or scripting was done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

So in the latest episode at the end, Rick and Lori are talking and there was a silence, to which he put his hand on her shoulder which signified to me that he didn't want to throw away what they had but that he needed time. Then he says something along the lines of "we are really grateful for what you did" and walks away, she starts crying.

Were these tears of joy that he showed he still feels something or was that line supposed to be pretty much I don't love you anymore?

Sorry if I'm being thick, just didn't come through clear to me....which I don't mind at all BTW, I like a bit of read between the lines dialogue.

So in the latest episode at the end, Rick and Lori are talking and there was a silence, to which he put his hand on her shoulder which signified to me that he didn't want to throw away what they had but that he needed time. Then he says something along the lines of "we are really grateful for what you did" and walks away, she starts crying.

Were these tears of joy that he showed he still feels something or was that line supposed to be pretty much I don't love you anymore?

Sorry if I'm being thick, just didn't come through clear to me....which I don't mind at all BTW, I like a bit of read between the lines dialogue.

That scene pretty much said to me that Rick feels no love at all for her anymore and she finaly realises it. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

That scene pretty much said to me that Rick feels no love at all for her anymore and she finaly realises it. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

+1 I got that he was distancing himself from her, basically 'We (the group) appreciate you helped out'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

+1 I got that he was distancing himself from her, basically 'We (the group) appreciate you helped out'

That woman has a heart of stone.
    She's only crying now because she's not the Queen Bee any more !

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Firstly zombie films, tv shows , comic books zombie lore in general don't exist in the Walking dead universe as far as I know, it's why they refer to them as walkers and not Zombies.

They're called "zombies" in the comic though.

• Advertisement

mrkite77 wrote: »
    They're called "zombies" in the comic though.
    They're rarely called "zombies" in the comic.. "walkers" is definitely the term most used.

But no more comic discussion here please!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well just got throught this episode.

cracker of one !

again theyre sticking very close to the comic with some nice twists thrown in.

LOVED carl in this. as others have said he's finally pulling his own weight. i was kinda hoping glen would go after him to say his mother was just overeacting and he did good but twas not to be.

as for the lads face down in the other cell block i think thats just shades of how bad things got there towards the end, akin to the flashback sequence in the other series when shane was at the hospital looking for rick and the army just started wiping people out wholesale.

scope there for a story if they want but really just a nice disturbing image for us to ponder upon.

ricks startin to lose it to me. yes he was right in what he did IMO but chasing down the other lad and leaving him to be eaten?

thats just not rick and i think that was a part of that scene with lori at the end as the full impact of what he'd done kicked in.

gas to think daryl is now the more human part of the group offering sympathy to the lads they left alive.

the scene with herchel actualy had me jump. as a fan of the comics i "knew" he survived but these TV shows are their own beast and it says alot that i genuinly wasnt sure if he turned of not. kudos to the team for that one.

have to say if they keep this up not only is it going to be a cracking season, the show should probably earn an award for it !

roll on episode 3

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I've mixed opinions about season 3 but I'm enjoying it. I'm not sure if that's to do with the likeness to the comic

Without being able to discuss the comic no more I won't elaborate on this following point. I'll say this tho, Merle's hinted return from the trailer.
    Could he be the governor?

Lori and Ricks relationship turn was signposted completely differently. I'm annoyed about that. The writers probably jumped on fan feedback, changed the relationship dynamic without thinking it through.

faceman wrote: »
    I've mixed opinions about season 3 but I'm enjoying it. I'm not sure if that's to do with the likeness to the comic

Without being able to discuss the comic no more I won't elaborate on this following point. I'll say this tho, Merle's hinted return from the trailer.

Ok A I'd expand your spoiler for people who haven't watched the preview and the things it hints at.

and B I have absolutely no clue how you could jump to that conclusion based on the clips shown .

faceman wrote: »

I'll say this tho, Merle's hinted return from the trailer.
    That would have been awesome but alas no he most definitely is not. There have been many many articles and preview videos telling us exactly who is playing the governor so it looks like they will pretty much stick to the comic book story arc for the governor/woodbury. Well at least in a broad sense anyway.

Generally consensus among TWD geeks is that Merle is most likely a member of the woodbury community.

That would have been awesome but alas no he most definitely is not. There have been many many articles and preview videos telling us exactly who is playing the governor so it looks like they will pretty much stick to the comic book story arc for the governor/woodbury. Well at least in a broad sense anyway.

Generally consensus among TWD geeks is that Merle is most likely a member of the woodbury community.

I thought we were doing no comic book discussion, yous are talking about characters that people who've watched the previews don't even know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ricks startin to lose it to me. yes he was right in what he did IMO but chasing down the other lad and leaving him to be eaten?

thats just not rick and i think that was a part of that scene with lori at the end as the full impact of what he'd done kicked in.

I think Rick has now become a lot more like Shane was. After all, they were both good guy cops, but Rick was in a coma for the first few weeks of when everything started, so Shane had to deal with things for longer than Rick had to. Now, Rick seems to be more like Shane (doing morally questionable things for the sake of the group and acting more rashly rather than trying to think about things), though I'd say he won't go quite as far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Penn wrote: »
    I think Rick has now become a lot more like Shane was. After all, they were both good guy cops, but Rick was in a coma for the first few weeks of when everything started, so Shane had to deal with things for longer than Rick had to. Now, Rick seems to be more like Shane (doing morally questionable things for the sake of the group and acting more rashly rather than trying to think about things), though I'd say he won't go quite as far.

Ah, I don't know about that, morally questionable, but needed to be done to protect the group.

Shane was unhinged, and using the group as reasons for his deeds.

I thought we were doing no comic book discussion, yous are talking about characters that people who've watched the previews don't even know.

Apologies. But you most definitely dont have to be a fan or reader of the comics to know about the locations or people I mentioned. They were spoken and written about in many articles, interviews and online discussions before season 3 even began.

Thats why I mentioned them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'd politely disagree. Shane was a selfish ego maniac. Rick hasn't been. Rick sacrificing himself for what he believes is in the best interest of the group. Of course in real world terms, there can only be so long he can carry this before he cracks.

• Advertisement

Could not disagree more. They are absolute polar opposites, which was pretty much the premise that the entire second season was built on.

Rick was only in a coma for about 3 weeks after the Zombie apocalypse began, going by most peoples estimates. Not really a huge amount of time in proportion to the 10 or so months total time since the outbreak.

Both did and continue (in Ricks case) to do morally questionable things but only Rick did or does them for the sake of the group. Shane only ever considered himself and possibly Lori and Carl for a time. For Shane, the group were only a means to an end until he found somewhere that could provide long-term safety. He would have stabbed them all in the back to save himself. He was a Coward and a bully and even Rick didn't really stand up to him until near the very end. The only person that saw right through Shane was Dale.

Rick on the other hand may have turned into a cold blooded dictator, but his actions are entirely selfless. He has developed a sixth sense for danger and was in my opinion totally justified in what he did to Tomas and Andrew in the prison. The danger with Tomas was plain for all to see. There were far more subtle signs with Andrew but if you watch the episode back again you can see them. In my opinion Rick is only going to get colder and more deadly, but he will always have the interests of the group at heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Could not disagree more. They are absolute polar opposites, which was pretty much the premise that the entire second season was built on.

Rick was only in a coma for about 3 weeks after the Zombie apocalypse began, going by most peoples estimates. Not really a huge amount of time in proportion to the 10 or so months total time since the outbreak.

Both did and continue (in Ricks case) to do morally questionable things but only Rick did or does them for the sake of the group. Shane only ever considered himself and possibly Lori and Carl for a time. For Shane, the group were only a means to an end until he found somewhere that could provide long-term safety. He would have stabbed them all in the back to save himself. He was a Coward and a bully and even Rick didn't really stand up to him until near the very end. The only person that saw right through Shane was Dale.

Rick on the other hand may have turned into a cold blooded dictator, but his actions are entirely selfless. He has developed a sixth sense for danger and was in my opinion totally justified in what he did to Tomas and Andrew in the prison. The danger with Tomas was plain for all to see. There were far more subtle signs with Andrew but if you watch the episode back again you can see them. In my opinion Rick is only going to get colder and more deadly, but he will always have the interests of the group at heart.

This. It's a Ricktatorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Shane was a nutjob who lusted after his best friends wife and used the zombie outbreak as an excuse to manipulate the situation to his own ends and get with her. It was always just selfish lust.

Rick is selfless, but not afraid to do the dirty work necessary to survive post zombie apocalypse.

Where is the new Walking Dead forum btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was team Shane all the way in season 1 & 2, Rick annoyed the crap out of me but he's become an absolute badass in this season, taking the prison, having no qualms about murdering the guy who chucked the zombie at him, finally telling Lori to feck off. Carl is becoming the little zombie hunter too, keep him that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

Melre wasn't in the comics, but he was in the season three trailor, and in the episode 3 sneak peak on youtube. I understand you not wanting comic discussions on this forum, but Merle isn't a comic charachters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think it's worse talking about the previews than it is the comics. At least the show isn't canon so what happens in the comics isn't necessarily going to happen in the show but a lot of people, myself included don't want to know anything about the previews.

+1 on any info about the new TWD forum? Want to see if anyone has read the novels.

As normal, previews / promos shouldn't be discussed in spoiler tags and flagged as such.

e.g How about scene in next week's promo where
    blah-de-blah-de-blah?

Melre wasn't in the comics, but he was in the season three trailor, and in the episode 3 sneak peak on youtube. I understand you not wanting comic discussions on this forum, but Merle isn't a comic charachters.
    A mention of merle wasn't why I posted this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Cracking first 2 episodes tho the 3rd might be a return to a slower pace, the prison scene doesn't feature but Merle makes a return

• Advertisement

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    Cracking first 2 episodes tho the 3rd might be a return to a slower pace, the prison scene doesn't feature but Merle makes a return

I think it will be a case of the prison being relegated to the B story of the ep rather then it not appearing at all , kinda like the A plot of ep2 being Rick and prisoners and the B plot being saving hershel . Having an ep sans Andrea michonne like in ep2 is one thing having an ep where the majority of the main cast do not appear is another imo . I imagine we will have a few prison based scenes of them clearing areas of zombies interspersed with the Andrea & Michonne adventures.

Advertisement