Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Irish poetry question

• 24-05-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how long the questions that say to talk about the poem under different headings have to be? Like each paragraph. Say for images, is one or two images enough? Also what do you include in the 'mar a chuaigh an dan i bhfeidhm ortsa?'? Do you say if you liked it and why? Can you repeat things eg if you liked a certain image?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Depends how much you write for the images, just write as much as you can.
    For how it affected you it kinda does relate to the images yeah. We did one on Geibheann and I said how the image of the line made me sad and went on a bit of rant about an cine daonna so I wouldnt be repeating myself but still making my point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Just write your personal thoughts on it. I wrote about how I thought the couple in Colscaradh were stupid and how they should have thought before jumping into bed together in the mocks and I did grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

When they ask about the poet in the questions, what do you write about? I have the book 'Fiúntas' and all it has is a little section on each poet, about when they were born/died and what they worked as..etc. Does the question ask for that, or is it more about kinda why they wrote the poem, so for example, saying that Caitlín Maude wrote Geibheann because she was depressed or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It'll most likely say "Write about: (i) x (ii) y (iii) z (iv) an file". All you do is give a few facts and try to relate it to the poem, e.g. the author of An t-Earrach Thiar lived on the Aran Islands and hated big cities so its no surprise he wrote a poem about it, but Padraig Mac Suibhne who wrote Colscaradh didnt actually write it after a divorce like you might assume - my teacher gave us some notes on him and it was just naming his books and stuff. Nothing detailed or complex. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

SeanMadd wrote: »
    When they ask about the poet in the questions, what do you write about? I have the book 'Fiúntas' and all it has is a little section on each poet, about when they were born/died and what they worked as..etc. Does the question ask for that, or is it more about kinda why they wrote the poem, so for example, saying that Caitlín Maude wrote Geibheann because she was depressed or something?
    Nah, it's basically just like a bit of a history of the poet. They're just trying to keep a bit of Stair na Gaeilge alive in the new course I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Nah, it's basically just like a bit of a history of the poet. They're just trying to keep a bit of Stair na Gaeilge alive in the new course I reckon!

That makes sense :D

Advertisement