Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dozol ??

Options
  • 24-05-2012 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

So I stayed with relatives the other week and they where shocked that my little fella 21mths doesn't sleep through the night

Usual routine is
    bed at 8pm
    asleep by 8.30pm at the latest 9pm
    wakes up around 4hours later usually between midnight and 1.30am
    I give him his soother back and lie him down, he wont go back asleep but is by no means wide awake
    (Bold me) I take him in with me we lie down for a 20mins or so and he is out of it again so I transfer him back to his cot
    He sleeps for around and hour and is awake again, looking to be picked up(bold me) I do this , lie down in my bed he goes asleep again I put him back in his cot and the process starts again
    Some times on the second pick up I just leave him in with me as I have fallen asleep and we both sleep soundly until around 7am

Now this has been the way since he was born, I breast feed and did take him in with me but never ever let him sleep with me as it was too dangerous, but as he got older he kept getting sick (chest infections) turns out he has asthma and with teething and bold me just took him in with me as I was just so knackered
    Now he has a bad sleeping habit my fault I know

Anyway I know what a lot of people think about the crying and self soothing method but I really disagree with it regardless of what anyone says I am not doing it

My sister in law said to use dozol for a few nights to help establish a new sleeping pattern if I didnt want to let him cry it out, I know I should not be using this stuff until he is 2+ and as far as I know it is not a sleeping aid anyway

I am not complaining about my child waking up obviously if he slept through the night that would be great but I believe that eventually he will find his own way and sleep successfully

So after that long story, I suppose what I want to know is this
    What if any are peoples experiences with dozol and the like?
    Does it help establish a sleep pattern if the toddler keeps waking
    And if I was to administer it once my child is 2years old is it given when he is going to bed, when he has no issue going to sleep or at 1.30am when he is awake and wont settle back to sleep in his cot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

hi,

My boy was a terrible sleeper until he 2.5-3. Had some pretty sleepness nights, weeks with him. Tough going at times
    In sheer desperation I tried the dozol it did nothing to help him sleep, so I stopped after 3night as I did not see the point. ( i even think it made him hyper)
    You are right when you say he will sleep in his own time:)
    My only rule was to not talk to him or make eye contact at night time. I put him into our bed too. You'll do anything not to wake up properly:o. My husband does not like kids in our bed he can't sleep then at all so ine of us goes to spare bed if a kid is with us/ When they asleep I put them back in own cot

It sound like you are ok with things as they are TBF every child is different and I think I would grin and ignore relatives well meaning advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Thanks Lisha its nice to know that someone else is going through or has went though the same

I have just had a lot of people commenting on it lately and was starting to feel a bit paranoid about it, the OH doesnt mind our little one sleeping in with us, the bed is big enough so its never been a problem and its so nice getting woken up in the morning by him sticking his face right into mine shouting peek while laughing his head off, I always wake up smiling :D

I dont speak to him when he wakes up, just give him his soother and lie down with him and we have big hugs and I rub his head and he goes back to sleep, other nights he is wide awake and bouncing up and down shouting so I just keep lying him down beside me and he gets the message eventually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

As I ve said to people when they get a bit too rule obsessed with me is that in a few years time my baby who can't get enough of me now, will one day walk just a bit behind me on the street behind pretending I'm not with him.
    So I try to enjoy every sweaty, milky, sweet-demanding, story-wanting just because hug for all they are worth.

I couldnt agree more with you, I cherish this time I have with him and love every second of our day, yes I may get tired but its nothing to the stress and tiredness I had when I was working in a high powered environment.

I look forward to him going to bed as I get my few hours of peace but I love going to bed and getting my cuddles all night too

Thank you Lisha you have taken my paranoia away and reminded me that there is nothing wrong with my little fella, he is just who he is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You seem quite at ease with your set up and from reading your post you don't seem particularly bothered by the night waking and co sleeping so why go upsetting things now.

You aren't conforming to the norm so people want to help you fix your perceived problem. Sleeping is a milestone which babies/children reach at different stages. Your son will sleep through the night at some stage when he's ready. Perhaps right now he loves his night cuddles with mammy and why not!

Bottom line every family has their own way of doing things. I think cosleeping, cuddles and a relaxed approach to parenting is far healthier than sedation as a means of enforcing sleep.

For what it's worth with we tried a small amount of Dozal on our son for a 4 hour flight and it had absolutely no effect on him. I might as well have given him water and he's less than 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Do not under any circumstances use Dozal as a crutch to get your child to sleep longer. As far as I'm concerned it's irresponsible parenting. Dozal is a medication to help relieve pain and the only reason it makes children drowsy is because it has an antihistamine in it, so it will help with mild allergic reactions too.

There are ways to get your son to sleep through the night without being tough and without resorting to medicating him. It will take a few nights and it will be hard for both of you but in the long run it will be better than him relying on a spoonful of medicine to help him sleep through.

There's always the chance that it won't work either... Dozal makes my daughter bounce off the walls, not drowsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I am a veteran of the sleep wars (2007 - 2011, 2011 - ongoing) my first son stopped sleeping through at 8 mths in 2007 and started again at 5 yrs in 2011, my daughter mostly sleeps very well and has from a young age, my second son, currently 15mths, sleeps a few hrs wakes sleeps wakes feeds sleeps wakes. he is in our bed from when we go to sleep and for most of the night and always has been (risks are no where near as high as implied for breastfeeding babies and many studies are now starting to show what our mothers knew all along - it is good for babies to co-sleep). we are breastfeeding btw, no1 and no2 self weaned at 6mths.
    [snipped]
    I tried Pick Up Put Down, wake-to-sleep, Crying It Out, no talking/no eye contact, you name it, nothing worked for more then a few nights. some children sleep through the night some dont, the only guaranteed way, imho, is to co-sleep.
    btw i spoke to a Filipino friend and asked her what the custom was 'sleep with parent until go to school, at least. my 12 yr old son still sleep with parents' she thought i was insane to put my son into his own room at 3 mths.

if you are happy and baby is happy f**k the rest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It sounds like that is just the routine that he has got in to. I dunno how you do it,you must be wrecked.
    I would be trying to change the routine.
    I have sleepers though so it is easy for me to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

January wrote: »
    Do not under any circumstances use Dozal as a crutch to get your child to sleep longer. As far as I'm concerned it's irresponsible parenting. Dozal is a medication to help relieve pain and the only reason it makes children drowsy is because it has an antihistamine in it, so it will help with mild allergic reactions too.

There are ways to get your son to sleep through the night without being tough and without resorting to medicating him. It will take a few nights and it will be hard for both of you but in the long run it will be better than him relying on a spoonful of medicine to help him sleep through.

There's always the chance that it won't work either... Dozal makes my daughter bounce off the walls, not drowsy!

I always thought it was only to be used for kids over six years of age and who were ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

It's licensed from 2 years of age - it was actually 3 months up until last yr when they changed the licensing but not the formulation. It def should not be used as a sleeping aid tho... It's an old fashioned antihistamine and paracetamol - for pain really. Saying that it used to be used all the time for teething as would help with sleepiness. But when theres no pain it may end up messing up their sleep cycle more!

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »
    I always thought it was only to be used for kids over six years of age and who were ill.

No, like dublinlady says, a few years ago it was from 3 months, it was changed to 2 years and now I think its been changed to six years now though. But the formulation has never been changed.

thanks guys really appreciate the input, was starting to feel the pressure to drug him up going to bed as thats what the inlaws do and have done and thats what my sisters have done and still do with there kids, and they just cant get their head round my co sleeping approach

Moonbeam, I am not as wrecked as you may think :D yes we have tough days but most of the time its okay, im lucky in that i am a stay at home mam - was made redundant a couple of years ago and had to move way out of the city so although I am looking for work at present nothing has come up so its the perfect opportunity to stay at home with my little one, and we do get our late morning naps so thats good. I am also not a night owl so go to bed within hours of my baba so we get a good few hours sleep.

I think that I will give the dozol a miss and just smile the next time it is brought up, we are happy as we are and I think I would miss my cuddles at night if he wasnt beside me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

if you're happy and coping well with things as they are then keep doing what you're doing and don't mind what anyone else says !
    my eldest didn't sleep through til she was 3... my youngest at 7 months. When they started sleeping through the night had nothing to do with what I did or didn't do.... just their own little body clocks functioning (or malfunctioning:p). I had so many people telling me what do do or not do for the first few years it drove me nuts but nearly 10 years on it's all meaningless and in hindsight I'm content that when my baby needed cuddles she got them :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Edel I definitely think if you're happy with your current set up then leave things as is. If it aint broke, don't fix it!
    I don't understand why some (albeit well intended!) people can have such an obsession with how other people's kids sleep!

I had similar advice proferred to me about our daughter, except I was advised to give her Phenergen.
    At the time I didn't realise what it was, it's supposed to be a fairly strong antithistimine. It's also the drug they gave me in hospital to put me to sleep when I was having mild contractions :eek:
    Definitely not something you'd want to use as a sleep aid for a child.
    The person that recommended it to me had been using it for their own child too when he was about a year old.

What bugged me most about that offer of advice & others was that I'm perfectly happy with our set up.
    When our daughter slept in her own room, she would wake several times during the night regardless of what technique we tried.
    When she sleeps in the room with us, we get a solid 12-14 hours sleep.

I do find it quite annoying that everyone has something to say about his sleeping habits and its not that I bang on about it I dont.

It only came to the inlaws attention as I had to stay with them for a couple of nights, and for the whole time I was there the sister in law kept telling me about dozol and how she used it all the time and she has even told my OH to let my boy stay with her for a week and we will have a different child on his return :eek: over my dead body will she ever have my child on his own, the though of him crying himself to sleep and desperate for me to comfort him, while she is preparing the dozol down stairs makes me feel physically ill

And my sister is only aware of it as she keeps ringing me during our late morning nap and gives out that I shouldnt be having a nap and should be up doing housework and if I am having a nap due to not sleeping at night cause my little boy keeps waking up then I need (yes Need) to give him Phenergen...yes she gives her 7year old it nearly every other night and says its okay cause she is a single mam so she needs some time away from him....I did think that school was her time away form him but i'm obviously wrong with that one :D

We did however have a bit of a sleepless night last night himself was awake for nearly 2 hours bouncing up and down and singing his head off so a bit tired today so roll on nap time :D

edellc wrote: »
    I do find it quite annoying that everyone has something to say about his sleeping habits and its not that I bang on about it I dont.

It only came to the inlaws attention as I had to stay with them for a couple of nights, and for the whole time I was there the sister in law kept telling me about dozol and how she used it all the time and she has even told my OH to let my boy stay with her for a week and we will have a different child on his return :eek: over my dead body will she ever have my child on his own, the though of him crying himself to sleep and desperate for me to comfort him, while she is preparing the dozol down stairs makes me feel physically ill

And my sister is only aware of it as she keeps ringing me during our late morning nap and gives out that I shouldnt be having a nap and should be up doing housework and if I am having a nap due to not sleeping at night cause my little boy keeps waking up then I need (yes Need) to give him Phenergen...yes she gives her 7year old it nearly every other night and says its okay cause she is a single mam so she needs some time away from him....I did think that school was her time away form him but i'm obviously wrong with that one :D

We did however have a bit of a sleepless night last night himself was awake for nearly 2 hours bouncing up and down and singing his head off so a bit tired today so roll on nap time :D

Ah god - tell them to mind their own bloody business!!! Stick to ur guns and do what's suits u and ur little one!!!

I have one family member who keeps insisting I replace my girls 5am bottle with water - she's only 14 weeks and goes down from 11pm - I know she's doing great and think its unfair to expect more!!
    Some ppl are just daft :)

:eek::eek: God the poor child... There are much better ways than medicating your child to sleep train them... especially at seven years old!

I know January I have said it but as she has a 7year old and has reared him by herself and I only have a 21mth old then as she sees it I know nothing and I am also with my babas daddy so in her mind I shouldnt need to drug my child but its okay for her as she is a single mother :eek: I do wonder how I am related to her half the time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

OP, i read your description of your night, and tbh I would be shattered tired from that. We all need sleep. Awake three times a night is a lot for both of you.

Anyway, i am in no way an advocate of either drugging children to sleep, or crying it out.

But maybe something simple like a comfy chair for you in the baby room would help. Let him settle on your lap in the chair, then back into the cot for a few nights. That may be the next step for getting used to staying in the room. falling asleep in your bed, and then waking up somewhere else would be pretty disconcerting for a lot of adults. Let alone a baby.

Or leave it as is if it suits you of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

January wrote: »
    :eek::eek: God the poor child... There are much better ways than medicating your child to sleep train them... especially at seven years old!

Theres a strong case for reporting both of them.:mad:

Theres a strong case for reporting both of them.:mad:

I am by no means agreeing with what my sister does but seriously reporting her is just laughable

It seems any mother I have around me has given dozol or the like to their kids at some stage in the hope of their kid sleeping, yes giving it to a 7year old is not right, my sister in law gives it to her 7year old as well. My other sister in law has used it on all her kids from when they where 3mths old to "get them into a routine" Its more about being uneducated about the product than anything else, because if you google it you will see plenty of forums with people asking about it as a sleeping aid, all thinking that it is when it actually is a pain relief with something in it that makes kids drousey ( I googled and am now educated about it, thankfully I have never used it)

I mean its not child abuse its just bad parenting, what is a social worker going to do about it, and why would I waste their resources when there are many kids getting abused, starved and god only knows what else

If I was to report every time I seen my scobie neighbour smack the legs off her kids who are about 3 and 4 the social services would laugh at me

I do not agree with hitting kids and would and have never ever done it but its not my place to say how another discipline's their child, or what they use to help their kids sleep at night, I know that when I was a kid I got smacked by my dad (who didnt in the 70's/80's) and it did my no harm apart from a few bad memories.

Believe me I am in no way making light of the subject but real child abuse or neglect does not include giving your child dozol

• Registered Users Posts: 22 amyjtyrrell

So I stayed with relatives the other week and they where shocked that my little fella 21mths doesn't sleep through the night

Usual routine is
    bed at 8pm
    asleep by 8.30pm at the latest 9pm
    wakes up around 4hours later usually between midnight and 1.30am
    I give him his soother back and lie him down, he wont go back asleep but is by no means wide awake
    (Bold me) I take him in with me we lie down for a 20mins or so and he is out of it again so I transfer him back to his cot
    He sleeps for around and hour and is awake again, looking to be picked up(bold me) I do this , lie down in my bed he goes asleep again I put him back in his cot and the process starts again
    Some times on the second pick up I just leave him in with me as I have fallen asleep and we both sleep soundly until around 7am

Now this has been the way since he was born, I breast feed and did take him in with me but never ever let him sleep with me as it was too dangerous, but as he got older he kept getting sick (chest infections) turns out he has asthma and with teething and bold me just took him in with me as I was just so knackered
    Now he has a bad sleeping habit my fault I know

Anyway I know what a lot of people think about the crying and self soothing method but I really disagree with it regardless of what anyone says I am not doing it

My sister in law said to use dozol for a few nights to help establish a new sleeping pattern if I didnt want to let him cry it out, I know I should not be using this stuff until he is 2+ and as far as I know it is not a sleeping aid anyway

I am not complaining about my child waking up obviously if he slept through the night that would be great but I believe that eventually he will find his own way and sleep successfully

So after that long story, I suppose what I want to know is this
    What if any are peoples experiences with dozol and the like?
    Does it help establish a sleep pattern if the toddler keeps waking
    And if I was to administer it once my child is 2years old is it given when he is going to bed, when he has no issue going to sleep or at 1.30am when he is awake and wont settle back to sleep in his cot?

I am so glad that I read thus post it is exactly the way my son is 19months. We tried everything to get him to sleep in his own bed n nothin worked I briefly tried the crying it out method but the poor child was literally traumatised he wouldn't leave my side all the next day and was very jumpy, which is so unlike him, the guilt was horrible :-(

He has also started waking up while in our bed too so doesn't matter where he is he will wake but at least if he's in our bed we aren't getting up and down.

A lot of my friends and family had baby's at the same time as me and they are full of advice because their baby's are perfect sleepers. I used to get really upset and try every method they suggested as I felt like I was failing in some way but iv come to the conclusion that every child is different and he's hardly goin to be an 18yr old Stoll in mammy n daddy's bed!!!!

But defiently feels better to know we are not the only ones!!!! Hope it makes u feel better too x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Op if baby is sleeping as much as he wants and when he wants during the day then there is no motivation for him to sleep all night. The morning nap is telling his body that even if he doesnt sleep during the night that he will get the nap to compensate. If you dont mind waking up all night then keep doing what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

pwurple wrote: »
    OP, i read your description of your night, and tbh I would be shattered tired from that. We all need sleep. Awake three times a night is a lot for both of you.

Anyway, i am in no way an advocate of either drugging children to sleep, or crying it out.

But maybe something simple like a comfy chair for you in the baby room would help. Let him settle on your lap in the chair, then back into the cot for a few nights. That may be the next step for getting used to staying in the room. falling asleep in your bed, and then waking up somewhere else would be pretty disconcerting for a lot of adults. Let alone a baby.

Or leave it as is if it suits you of course.

I will go along the lines of most post, if it doesn't bother you then let everyone think whatever they want. That said its easier said than done, I have quite judgemental inlaws and I know that their comments would get to me even if I didn't want to.

Your child as no "problem" with sleep, and even if he had, I don't believe meds are a way to go at all! I say he has no problem because the only reason he doesn't go back to sleep himself is because he much prefers being brought into your bed and cuddle up (as you do maybe too :o).
    The only thing I always have at the back of my mind when it comes to my kids habits is, the longer it goes on, the harder it is on all parties to change it... with that in mind, I would think that maybe when he's 4 you'll not want him to be coming into bed at every hour of the night... but then I don't know, do they grow out of that? My friend's son is four and they have to lie with him every night and wake up with him every morning, its just not something I would want.

Whenever your ready, as pwurple says, a progression from your room to his etc. is what I would go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Hopefully the OP's baby is now sleeping - seeing as this thread is now over 10 months old!!!! Maybe she can come on & update us & let us know that there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

I have the same thing in my house. My 17 month old is still waking 3 times a night & would like to reduce this if not completely solve it. Totally against crying it out though, so difficult to nip it in the bud. Still bfed, so I know thats the issue, but hoping to try & start refusing at least 1 feed a night soon, so hoping that she will stop waking if there's nothing there for her. She used to settle for her daddy, but only mammy will do nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Oral Slang - have you tried replacing a feed with another sleep "trigger"? I had the same problem with my 17 month old sleeping. I reduced the snuggling and picking up at the same times each night gradually with a singing teddy, called Scout I think?! It does a 10 minute bedtime lullaby routine so when my lady woke I would settle her back into the cot, pat her a couple of times to calm her and play the teddy. It worked and finally after 17 months I get to sleep a full night!

Now there's still nights that it isn't effective but on the whole the new routine has made life a lot easier.

Advertisement