Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest Shark Jumper (Nominees)

• 24-05-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭

Please nominate for the Biggest Shark Jumper.

Jumping the Shark refers to the point in a television program's history when the program has outlived its freshness and viewers have begun to feel that the show's writers were out of new ideas, often after great effort was made to revive interest in the show by the writers, producers, or network.
    T&Cs
    • Please nominate no more than 5 entries for this category
    • The nominated shows must have aired for the first time, any time, after 1st June 2011.
    • Shows still running are permitted
    • The show may have aired on US, Irish or UK Television.
    • This is the second of 4 groups of categories. The next group will be next week. Voting will begin after the 4th group.
    • Shows with the most nominations will be included in the voting stage.
    • For plot-related categories, please use discretion (spoiler tags if necessary)
      [ spoiler ] Put Spoiler Here [ /spoiler ] (remove spaces in tags)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Simpsons (Fox)

Since about 1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

House MD Season 5 Episode 8, "Here Kitty".

A nursing home worker, Morgan, fakes an illness to get House to examine a cat which can predict the death of elderly patients. House doesn't believe it... until Morgan becomes ill for real.

That was the episode I gave up on House. Admittedly, I watched until about half way through Season 6, but it killed it for me. I even said out loud that they'd jumped the shark. I thought there was some hope with the opening of season 6, but no... Forever sharks, forever water skis for me from then on.

Oh, and for the record, there was an episode of Happy Days where a guy literally jumped over a shark. And it was the best one!

EDIT: sorry, missed the June 2011 air date thing. How can you nominate a show that is only a year old for having jumped the shark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

The Office US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

@f-stop - It may be a show that has been running for years that suddenly got crap this year.

Mr E wrote: »
    @f-stop - It may be a show that has been running for years that suddenly got crap this year.

OK, it's just it states
    The nominated shows must have aired for the first time, any time, after 1st June 2011.
    which suggests episode 1 of Season 1 had to air for the first time, any time, after June 1st 2011. Anyway, the episode I nominated aired before that date so still isn't valid. Though, by god it is valid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The Killing (US) season two. Just one twist too many, its got ridiculous.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Dexter - That romance plot line they spat up. Outright winner!

Such a clear winner to me that I'm not bothered with any other nominations.

OK, so you are looking for nominations for episodes of a show (potentially a long running show) that have a defining 'jumped the shark' moment (be it production or script or walk-off, etc.) sometime since June 2011. Wow, that's hard to do. Is that aired over here, or aired in the US or first airing? I'm not sure if I'm getting too Abed, or you've already Britta'd this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The Killing (US)
    The Office (US)
    Two and a Half Men
    The Simpsons
    Family Guy

Sorry, I was confused because I thought you guys knew what 'jumping the shark' meant.

• Advertisement

Oh, and for the record, there was an episode of Happy Days where a guy literally jumped over a shark. And it was the best one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

HIMYM, barney
    marrying robin (even though ted cleary stated that aunt robin never got married) and ted running away with yerone (even though he clearly states she is not the mother)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Dexter
    The Office
    True Blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Dexter
    How I Met Your Mother
    Supernatural
    Bones
    Two and a Half Men (can't believe this hasn't been nominated more in this category since Ashton Kutcher replaced Charlie Sheen this year)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

F-Stop wrote: »

That's /why/ it's called jumping the shark. So you'd be in a small minority there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

dahamsta wrote: »
    That's /why/ it's called jumping the shark. So you'd be in a small minority there. :)

He was quoting Community

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yikes, I thought /I/ was a nerd.

Definitely an Abed then.

dahamsta wrote: »
    Yikes, I thought /I/ was a nerd.

Definitely an Abed then.

Troy, actually. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

90210 -
    ending on a vehicle crash, again?
    Home and away
    Family Guy
    The Simpsons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Primetime Investigates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

How I Met Your Mother.

For the love of God writers, how many times are you going to recycle all these storylines?

Two and a half men
    simpsons
    the big bang theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

Touch - It's the numbers man - even though we do nothing worthwhile with them
    Veep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Just seems a list thread to me. Should people not be saying the defining Jump the Shark moment?

For me it is the Simpsons episode "Homer's Enemy" from 1997. Homer transforms from being a loveable oaf in this episode to a downright ignorant doofus and for lack of a better word, a jerk. No longer was Homer a bit of a hero, but instead he was a character that was harmful to others through sheer stupidity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

My reasons why are spoilered, just in case.

Glee
    (increasingly weak story lines, crap music choices, honourable mention for the news that the graduating cast will somehow all be in the show next year)
    Bones
    (epic fail on them getting together)
    True Blood
    continued weird & unnecessary plot deviation - all that crap with Sam & his brother, etc

Genealogy Forum Mod

D-Generate wrote: »
    Just seems a list thread to me. Should people not be saying the defining Jump the Shark moment?

For me it is the Simpsons episode "Homer's Enemy" from 1997. Homer transforms from being a loveable oaf in this episode to a downright ignorant doofus and for lack of a better word, a jerk. No longer was Homer a bit of a hero, but instead he was a character that was harmful to others through sheer stupidity.

No, its an Awards Nominations thread, so a list is all thats needed, and if you bothered reading the original post, you'd see that what you have chosen is invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

two and a half men, the gorilla episodes to be exact. the entire episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ringer - Every single episode :p
    Two and a Half Men - Ashton Kutcher as Waldron joining the show
    American Horror Story - great show except for the finale of Season 1
    The Walking Dead -
    Killing off Dale and Shane and keeping Lori
    House - Season 7 finale

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Glee....terrible tripe now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

don ramo wrote: »
    HIMYM,
    barney marrying robin (even though ted cleary stated that aunt robin never got married) and ted running away with yerone (even though he clearly states she is not the mother)

you should probably spoiler tag that.

No, its an Awards Nominations thread, so a list is all thats needed, and if you bothered reading the original post, you'd see that what you have chosen is invalid.

The category is ridiculous. Biggest Shark Jumper doesn't even make sense, it's like asking for nominations for Most Pregnant Celebrity, who may already have children but went into labour after June 2011 and was more pregnant than any of the other pregnant celebrities. The Shark Jump isn't quantifiable, it's defined by a very moment where a series lost itself. You cannot nominate a list of shows without pointing to the actual shark jumping moment, if you try to you have either no clue or you are willingly ruining the meme. Who's to say any show will jump the shark in a given year? This just ends up being a list of shows people don't like, so:

The Big Bang Theory - just lame
    Cougar Town - JTS with the name, even they admit that
    2 and half men - well, c'mon
    Primetime - Monty Burnz might be the closest to a legitimate nomination
    Boards>Arts>Television>Television Awards - for not even knowing what Jumping the Shark means.

This can only work as a special award rather than a nomination, like a lifetime award. Oh yeah, I suppose the Oscars could be in there too, but it could be in there every year as it seems to manage to outdo even itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It has worked well as a category for 7 years.

Show used to be good.
    Something stupid happened in show this season (2011-2012).
    Show now not as good as it used to be.

Just don't overthink it. :o

Mr E wrote: »
    It has worked well as a category for 7 years.

Show used to be good.
    Something stupid happened in show this season (2011-2012).
    Show now not as good as it used to be.

Just don't overthink it. :o

Wow, seven years misunderstanding and misusing a commonly understood pop culture term, and you think that justifies continuing to misuse it? Basq's definition of a 'show in decline' was wrong seven years ago, continuing to use it that way doesn't change that fact. I know this is just a bit of fun, but it comes across as being a bit RTE when you seem willfully ignorant of a common and well known term and use it in a totally opposing way. Odd.

And, I'll happily continue to overthink everything than to underthink anything. Thanks.

And, yes, I'll leave this now and let you get on with your JTS nominations. I enjoyed voting in the other categories.

Shallow and Pedantic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

F-Stop wrote: »
    Wow, seven years misunderstanding and misusing a commonly understood pop culture term, and you think that justifies continuing to misuse it? Basq's definition of a 'show in decline' was wrong seven years ago, continuing to use it that way doesn't change that fact. I know this is just a bit of fun, but it comes across as being a bit RTE when you seem willfully ignorant of a common and well known term and use it in a totally opposing way. Odd.

And, I'll happily continue to overthink everything than to underthink anything. Thanks.

And, yes, I'll leave this now and let you get on with your JTS nominations. I enjoyed voting in the other categories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

How I met your mother
    The Simpsons
    South Park
    Glee
    Desperate Housewives

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭thegoodgirl

Grey's Anatomy - Finale this season -
    Killing off one of the most popular characters just for a dramatic finish, only it wasn't dramatic. just very annoying and stupid

Two and a Half Men - Season Opener - Ashton Kutcher joining the show. It should have died with Charlie

The Walking Dead - Way too many moments to choose from but I'll go i'll go for the whole barn incident

How I met your mother -Season Finale seriously dont think the writers even try anymore

Glee - Season finale - Having them all graduate but the day before releasing to the media that they'll all be back next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Eastbound & Down - Chapter 17 -
    Kenny's reaction to Shane's death,
    Stopped being even remotely funny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement