Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCHG A&E

Options
  • 24-05-2012 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭

Friend spent 14 hours in A&E last night,
    When are Conneely, Crowe et al. going to get up off their arses and do something about this? It's like an episode of MASH in there, stress levels are through the roof, people are suffering and mistakes are being made.

The sheer ignorance of Conneely sighting concerns about Hospital Smokers while its a warzone in A&E.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

That is a long time, what was the delay? was it really busy?
    Was in there a few weeks ago with my nephew, 3 hrs start to finish, I was surprised we were so fast. That was with X ray and stitches.
    I heard that going on about the smoking in Merlin park the other day. Patients having to walk out to the main gate to smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Busy doesn't really cover it hondasam, the A&E in UCHG needs to be about four times the size it is now,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Agreed something needs to be done. I know someone who was recently left on a trolley for 24 hrs when it was obvious they had a late stage terminal illness. They died a week later in hospital. At the very least critically or direly ill people should be prioritised and made comfortable urgently. This person was not elderly but their condition and prognosis was apparent as soon as they presented in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

I don't think this situation is unique to Galway, and the way things are going it may get worse. James Reilly needs to get off his arse and do something. Apparently they are planning in closing down A&E facilities in smaller hospitals which will put even more pressure on the larger hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

that's nothing. Try going in at lunchtime and coming out next morning at breakfast time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Shakti wrote: »
    When are Conneely, Crowe et al. going to get up off their arses and do something about this? It's like an episode of MASH in there, stress levels are through the roof, people are suffering and mistakes are being made.

The sheer ignorance of Conneely sighting concerns about Hospital Smokers while its a warzone in A&E.

Conneely is the HSE forum chairman, and while I don't like the way he operates, in fairness to he is on about the hositpal fairly constantly. If you don't believe me take a look at the google search for "padraig conneely uchg".

you get what you vote for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

hondasam wrote: »
    Patients having to walk out to the main gate to smoke.

Paddywhackery at its finest! Absolutely Daft! :mad:

their "snack" selection is terrible also for a hospital. If somebody is going to be waiting for hours or days and the Emergency Unit they could at least make sure there is paper cups etc at the coffee/tea machines.

also I don't think machine full of mars bars, starbursts, and hunky dories would be the best thing to be eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

hondasam wrote: »
    I heard that going on about the smoking in Merlin park the other day. Patients having to walk out to the main gate to smoke.

Define irony - complaining about a ban on something known to be harmful to one's health on hospital grounds.

• Advertisement

One time when I was there the triage nurse came out and lectured the people in the waiting area about how busy they were and how they would have to wait at least six hours to be seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

One time when I was there the triage nurse came out and lectured the people in the waiting area about how busy they were and how they would have to wait at least six hours to be seen.

Well that's a good thing isn't it? At least you know how long you'll be waiting for.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well that's a good thing isn't it? At least you know how long you'll be waiting for.

It was a lecture with attitude, not helpful, felt like he was blaming the patients for being sick, gave me a smart assed comment for not being sick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

A not insignificant part of the problem is people going to A&E with minor complaints that would be better seen to by a GP.

But a goodly part of the problem is the bloated management that the HSE has in place, with suits going around and nobody knows what they do. My sister (a nurse) used to work in a hospital where a female suit whose only job seemed to be to make sure the fire doors were kept closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I had put this in the Consumer Issues "Rant & Praise" thread earlier.
    me wrote:
    Mrs Fey is pregnant, and last night had severe pains. At 2am I had to bring her to the hospital. The receptionist had her sent in to a nurse with a porter within 30 seconds, and the nurse had her in a bed in the gyny unit within 15 minutes. The nurses there were just as efficient and incredibly helpful, and she had been seen by the doctor on duty within about an hour.

They kept her in overnight, and her own doctor was with her within minutes of coming on duty. I had a phone call from her to pick her up before 8:30.

Very efficient, very helpful, and at all times the staff were brilliant at putting her mind at ease.

The frontline staff are excellent, even if the management and politicians let both them and us down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I have been in there a few times with people over night with varying crowds and emergencies, the only way I could ever see a nurse act in that a forceful manner is if him or other members of staff are being constantly berated by patients family about how long they are waiting and how ill their family member is, (i know this as iv snuck in behind the doors to make sure a family member of mine got a bed, they were in excruciating agony) on a very busy night people doing this should be stamped out quickly so a shoutout wouldn't be all that bad imo

I think the staff there are doing the best job they can in the circumstances the are in

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It was a lecture with attitude, not helpful, felt like he was blaming the patients for being sick, gave me a smart assed comment for not being sick enough.

Were you sent there by your GP?

My sister (a nurse) used to work in a hospital where a female suit whose only job seemed to be to make sure the fire doors were kept closed.

I would guess that a very visible part of the safety officer's job in a large hospital would be just that. There are some less visible aspects too. and the job looks totally pointless until there is a fire and someone dies because someone else didn't follow basic safety procedures.

I'm not arguing that the HSE management is perfect, but someomes what people give out about is not what meets the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I know of THREE people in the last 3 months who have gone in there with leg/ankle injuries, and all were x-rayed and told there was nothing wrong, just a bit of ligament damage. Turned out all 3 actually had fractures and spent weeks trying to walk on them, thinking it was just soft tissue damage. I know its not feasible for everyone, but I'd rather spend the money and go to the Galway Clinic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Zzippy wrote: »
    I know its not feasible for everyone, but I'd rather spend the money and go to the Galway Clinic...

Isn't that the same price, just shorter opening hours?

I think that you'll hear stories like that about all hospitals, though, public and private.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Not to belittle your suffering here, but isn't one of the central tenets of triage to prioritise patients according the gravity of their condition?

In other news, congratulations Fey.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Were you sent there by your GP?

yes,
    I have been in there a few times with people over night with varying crowds and emergencies, the only way I could ever see a nurse act in that a forceful manner is if him or other members of staff are being constantly berated by patients family about how long they are waiting and how ill their family member is,

Nope, quite the opposite, didn't end well
    I think the staff there are doing the best job they can in the circumstances the are in

Quite and I used to be of this opinion but its got to the stage now that everyone just seems to be passing the buck, I'm holding them all responsible from now on until something is done, not listening to any more excuses from management,nurses,admin,cleaners whoever they need to sort it out.

yes,

Nope, quite the opposite, didn't end well

Quite and I used to be of this opinion but its got to the stage now that everyone just seems to be passing the buck, I'm holding them all responsible from now on until something is done, not listening to any more excuses from management,nurses,admin,cleaners whoever they need to sort it out.

one day you may be really sick and have to skip the queue or wait until they sort people that come in by ambulance well away from the A and E rubberneckers. Then, you will realise what a great job your nurses do and you will get on your knees and thank them.

Robbo wrote: »
    Not to belittle your suffering here, but isn't one of the central tenets of triage to prioritise patients according the gravity of their condition?

Of course and because of his smart ass attitude he got it wrong, which led to the cardiologist discharging me 8 or so hours later, got to front door the pain got so bad had to stumble back into A&E collapsed EResque drama ensues in resuss, not pretty.

one day you may be really sick and have to skip the queue or wait until they sort people that come in by ambulance well away from the A and E rubberneckers. Then, you will realise what a great job your nurses do and you will get on your knees and thank them.

Are you having a laugh? Unfortunately I've the scars to prove it,

Are you having a laugh? Unfortunately I've the scars to prove it,

no, and going by your posts I'd say you were the one with attitude.

no, and going by your posts I'd say you were the one with attitude.

Listen I couldn't give two what you think my attitude is you don't know me and its this simple.....Are you happy with UCHG A&E?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Moved to Dublin a few years ago. Have spent years hearing about A&E in Beaumont, and how it resembles a third world country, avoid like the plague etc etc

Presented myself there in Sept 10 - no GPs letter or ambulance, just a serious situation. Was asked a few questions by the receptionist. Within 3-4 minutes was seen by a triage nurse, within 15 mins i was on a drip and with 45 minutes had seen two doctors and treatment had started. spent 24 very uncomfortable hours on a hard backed chair, but every single staff member was fantastic and couldn't have been nicer despite horrific working conditions.

RE: the Galway Clinic. Its actually as bad as A&E believe it or not.have heard of people left on trolleys for up to a week rather than being admitted to a Ward and then the Hospital billing the Insurance Co. for a room

Listen I couldn't give two what you think my attitude is you don't know me and its this simple.....Are you happy with UCHG A&E?

LOL - I can understand the nurses attitude now. :D:D

LOL - I can understand the nurses attitude now. :D:D

Cant you just contribute something to the thread instead of just trying to wind the OP up, its a little juvenile to say the least.

• Advertisement

Cant you just contribute something to the thread instead of just trying to wind the OP up, its a little juvenile to say the least.

My contributions are to be read above. But your posts read quite hypocritical - you are upset at a nurses "attitude" but don't realize your own "attitude". Could that be where the fault lies :D

Also I don't know why you would hold hospital staff who are worked to the bone for peanuts, responsible for what the government are doing? Why would you do that?

don't you know you get the government you deserve.

Advertisement