Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCHG A&E

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

ted2767 wrote: »
    Because I've worked in A&E departments in Ireland I believe that I know a thing or two about how they work.

Also I said I was lucky never to have had occassion to go to the unit in UCHG not that I never darkened its doors, but don't let that stop you as you seem to have ignored most of what I've said.

And you seem to have ignored 'most of what I've said' too !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I don't think the two-tiered health system is the issue here - there is only one A&E in Galway, the Galway Clinic doesn't *really* deal with most of the real issues as they're not open 24/7. So even if I have private health insurance, if I have an accident after hours or one that requires an ambulance, I'll still end up in UHG.

One problem adding to the overcrowding are the GPs though - if they were a bit more sure of themselves and/or had access to diagnostics equipment outside the hospital, and could directly refer to the appropriate consultants things would be less busy.

And if the hospital had a different section for all the drunks/junkies/other rabble that makes the unit feel rather unpleasant and unsafe, it would improve things a lot...

(this is just based on my personal experience in UHG - a place I try to avoid at all costs...I truly do not know how frontline staff can continue to work there - those nurses deserve a medal and triple pay!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'd just like to sympathize with folk who've had to use Galway's A&E, I have myself over 7 times in the last few years and it's awful.

The truth is that our health system is an highly inefficient and unwieldy model! Think about it, the Department of Health manage...
    1) The Hospital buildings, maintenance and catering (subcontracted I know but never the less)
    2) The Admin
    3) Medical staff
    4) GP's and Medical cards
    5) Negotiations with Unions and other reps
    6) PRSI

They used to manage the health insurance too!! Does anyone remember that VHI used to be semi state?

It should be like the Dutch system, the Dep. of Health just manage the Tax contributions (PRSI if you will) to block buy private medical insurance. I shudder to think of the work that would go into changing the whole system:eek:

I wouldn't be suprised though if the insurance companies dont' cough up for 'self inflicted injury' due to alcohol...mmmmm:rolleyes: That'd would challenge the back log in our A&E. The figures are pretty staggering, up to 70% of A&E cases are due to alcohol!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Greaney wrote: »
    ......I wouldn't be suprised though if the insurance companies dont' cough up for 'self inflicted injury' due to alcohol...mmmmm:rolleyes: That'd would challenge the back log in our A&E. The figures are pretty staggering, up to 70% of A&E cases are due to alcohol!

Thanks for pointing that out.
    Alcohol has the youth of this country destroyed.
    Society in general and successive governments in particular are sticking their heads in the sand with regard to this plague.

The figures are pretty staggering, up to 70% of A&E cases are due to alcohol!

Where did you get those figures from ?

Most of the surveys I have read suggest that 25% to 30% of A&E cases are alcohol-related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Where did you get those figures from ?

Most of the surveys I have read suggest that 25% to 30% of A&E cases are alcohol-related.

You're right. Most of the time it's under 35% (still huge). This article in The Guardian said that figures rose to 70% on weekends in Britian.
    This article from The National Documentation Centre on Drug use is a little old (2004). The report says that figures rose at the weekends,although they didn't say by how much. The figure of 70% was cited by the INO (Irish Nurses Organization) regarding the Christmas period 2006

This paper by Alcohol Ireland fleshes out the alcohol issue with regard to what other areas do people 'present' alcohol as a problem in the broader health service (mental health etc.)

You're right. Most of the time it's under 35% (still huge). This article in The Guardian said that figures rose to 70% on weekends in Britian.

I looked up the 70% figure too, as it seemed far too high to me for all A&E attendances here in Ireland.

It is true that around 70% of A&E attendances were alcohol related... in very particular circumstances...
    in NHS hospitals in England,
    at the weekend,
    between the hours of 12 midnight and 5 am.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/post/postpn244.pdf

No doubt due to the British binge drinking culture, which unfortunately has it's mirror image here, though not quite as bad.

Advertisement