Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't I lodge cash to my Credit Card...why is it so complicated??

Options
  • 24-05-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭

Hi...... I mislaid my Credit Card Statement.

Not to worry.... I'll just go the Bank as per every month and l;odge in my monthly payment.

I get to the counter and the girl says that she can't do it without the Statement Countergfoil!!!!! I said that I mislaid it and it was like forgeting to bring in my homework!!!!

So here is her solution.

1. She will take the Cash and lodge it to my Current Account.
    2. She advises me to go home and use ON-Line Banking to transfer the money to my Visa account.

I say..."...thats alot of work - why cant you just do it here??..." She says.."..we can't without the Credit Card Slip.."

Anyone else find this problem..... is there an alternative solution???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

im not sure which bank youre with but in some aib branches i know that you can login to your internet banking there. so lodge and then go to the internet banking kiosk?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

A credit card account is not a regular bank account. Payments (lodgements) to a credit card are made into a general account, and the giro at the end of the bill ensures that the funds are correctly directed to each credit card account. Without the giro, the funds might not be credited to your account from the general account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yes but surely if the account and sortcode are common to all credit cards of a single type from one institution then all that differs is the card number which she can take note of if the customer has it. A bit unhelpful from the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

I know in BOI they have a slip you can write your credit card number on and pay the bill that way. I've done it plenty of times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They aren't always the same, but that's beside the point. Those queues folks complain about? Yeah, this is the kind of stuff that all adds up and causes them in their eyes and they don't want it.

Unhelpful it may be, but this kind of thing is what they are trying to discourage (just like how the purged the ability to pay utility bills over the counter etc.). Part of their role is to push customers towards electronic banking, and once the customer is steered there once the hope is that they will realise the convenience factor and continue to do it.

In this circumstance, having the customer do it also shifts responsibility to them, should they have the incorrect details/card number etc.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Unhelpful it may be, but this kind of thing is what they are trying to discourage (just like how the purged the ability to pay utility bills over the counter etc.). Part of their role is to push customers towards electronic banking, and once the customer is steered there once the hope is that they will realise the convenience factor and continue to do it.

In this circumstance, having the customer do it also shifts responsibility to them, should they have the incorrect details/card number etc.

Yes that's all well and good but in this case the customer was supplied with the ability to pay via physically walking into a bank, but through some (ridiculous in my mind anyway) "technicality" they were denied that ability.

If they dont want people paying in a bank then just shut off these options altogether, otherwise they should help particularly as they're charging for the service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

The customer was supplied with the means to pay it but they didn't bring it, the giro! Now they could have done it manually if they knew the account number and sort code of the credit card issuer's bank account for payments, but did they? I doubt it, so the other option is the teller is meant to know all credit card issuers account details, now the info is probably there somewhere in the bank but as already said this sort of time wasting transaction is what banks are trying to discourage.

Regards the post office I think, but may be wrong, they only accept payments to one credit card issuer so their system is probably set up for that. I know I pay my own there and sometimes pay it online, I have never paid it through a bank, wouldn't queue that long!

Ok I am making one assumption that the credit card the op has was issued by the bank he pays into.

That aside even if it wasn't it wouldn't have been that hard for a bank to look at the OP's recent transactions and help a little. It's good customer service that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Masala

I am making one assumption that the credit card the op has was issued by the bank he pays into.

Yes to that... AIB VISA and AIB Bank involved.

If I kept a COPY of an old Statement and brought that into Bank... would the Bank be able to 'use the numbers' off same. I know they can't use the Giro as it is only a photocopy.

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    Yes to that... AIB VISA and AIB Bank involved.

If I kept a COPY of an old Statement and brought that into Bank... would the Bank be able to 'use the numbers' off same. I know they can't use the Giro as it is only a photocopy.

Well they should but they weren't exactly very helpful the first time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can make a payment with just your card in any post office. The payments seem to process quicker as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I find this very odd. I pay my ulster bank credit card in cash manually at a branch with my credit card. the teller swipes the card, I hand her the money and she gives me a receipt. Surely it would be that simple in every bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

In BOI, I hand in my credit card, hand over the money, enter my pin, and bang transaction complete!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

BOI only accept BOI cards in branch.All cards can be done on-line though.

Advertisement