Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VERY hot hot sauce

Options
  • 24-05-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any good recipes for hot sauce using ingredients from Irish shops??

I made one using Habaneros and couple other chillis before but the flavour and texture was all wrong.

Im looking for something seriously seriously crazy hot to make when im back home. A sauce i could use for same burritos or wings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Not a recipe as such, but I've made my own hot sauce before.

Basically I read the ingredients on a hot sauce packet and decided to recreate with my home-grown habaneros.

Ingredients are really a little oil, an onion, lots of chilis, salt, sugar and vinegar - with the last three being your preservatives.

Wash and heat the pan for sterilisation, sterilise the bottles (hot water wash and 15 mins in the oven for instance - and yes on this basis they need to be heat-proof glass) and sterilise any utensils etc you want to use.

I finely chopped the onion and sweated it in a small amount of oil. Then I added the chilis, chopped (wear gloves if you're chopping that many chilis). Then I turned it into a sort of sauce by adding boiled water, vinegar, salt and sugar - you WILL cough if there's a lot of chili heat in the mixture so do this in a well ventilated kitchen and remove any pets or small children from the area before you start.

Once the chilis were softened and cooked (a few mins only, not ages) I transferred the mixture to a heat-proof blender and whizzed it so it turned to a sauce with no lumps. Then I transferred it back to the pan and cooked it out for another 5-10 mins on a gentle heat. I poured it carefully into bottles and jars, put the lid on while it was still roasting, turned the bottles over to spread the mixture around the jar, and then allowed to stand and cool completely.

When preserving generally, either allow to completely cool before putting lids on, or put the lids on when it's still roasting. Don't do it half way through when the mixture is luke warm, or you'll get condensation in the bottle that doesn't go away.

I labelled mine and gave it to friends (who like hot sauce).

Volume-wise, I probably had one small onion, about 20 habaneros, two tablespoons of raw sugar, four tablespoons of vinegar, a teaspoon of salt and just enough water in the frying pan to not quite cover the chopped ingredients. I know that's a real pin-stickers recipe, but hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Not a recipe as such, but I've made my own hot sauce before.

Basically I read the ingredients on a hot sauce packet and decided to recreate with my home-grown habaneros.

Ingredients are really a little oil, an onion, lots of chilis, salt, sugar and vinegar - with the last three being your preservatives.

Wash and heat the pan for sterilisation, sterilise the bottles (hot water wash and 15 mins in the oven for instance - and yes on this basis they need to be heat-proof glass) and sterilise any utensils etc you want to use.

I finely chopped the onion and sweated it in a small amount of oil. Then I added the chilis, chopped (wear gloves if you're chopping that many chilis). Then I turned it into a sort of sauce by adding boiled water, vinegar, salt and sugar - you WILL cough if there's a lot of chili heat in the mixture so do this in a well ventilated kitchen and remove any pets or small children from the area before you start.

Once the chilis were softened and cooked (a few mins only, not ages) I transferred the mixture to a heat-proof blender and whizzed it so it turned to a sauce with no lumps. Then I transferred it back to the pan and cooked it out for another 5-10 mins on a gentle heat. I poured it carefully into bottles and jars, put the lid on while it was still roasting, turned the bottles over to spread the mixture around the jar, and then allowed to stand and cool completely.

When preserving generally, either allow to completely cool before putting lids on, or put the lids on when it's still roasting. Don't do it half way through when the mixture is luke warm, or you'll get condensation in the bottle that doesn't go away.

I labelled mine and gave it to friends (who like hot sauce).

Volume-wise, I probably had one small onion, about 20 habaneros, two tablespoons of raw sugar, four tablespoons of vinegar, a teaspoon of salt and just enough water in the frying pan to not quite cover the chopped ingredients. I know that's a real pin-stickers recipe, but hey.

Thanks!!

Ill read over this again when im back home :)

Ordered two sauces from the chilliseeds.co.uk as well. Theres some seriously hot tastes sauces on there for adding heat to chillis and currys and such. Could even add them to a home made hot sauce to i guess give it extra kick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Thanks!!

Ill read over this again when im back home :)

Ordered two sauces from the chilliseeds.co.uk as well. Theres some seriously hot tastes sauces on there for adding heat to chillis and currys and such. Could even add them to a home made hot sauce to i guess give it extra kick!

Thought they only done seeds.

Have been looking on Amazon for a very hot sauce like something from the Dave's range or Blair's.

Is there anywhere in Dublin that sells Very hot sause?

Which one's did you order?

nudger wrote: »
    Thought they only done seeds.

Have been looking on Amazon for a very hot sauce like something from the Dave's range or Blair's.

Is there anywhere in Dublin that sells Very hot sause?

Which one's did you order?

They do all kinds on that site really good.

I cant think of anywhere in Dublin that sells the stuff on those sites.

Found a habanero sauce in an African shop in town that was bout it.

I got these two.

Nearly finished my bottle of heart throb as well which was NICE!! :D

The 10 minute Burn looks Mad, is it that hot or are the reviewers acting up?

I would like to get a very hot sauce that can give instant heat to a meal, you know when you hear the "I love hot food the hotter the better" after you have made something mild/medium not wanting to make it to hot so as to keep everyone happy, but now that is exctly what they want.

From time to time I love a good hot meal, love the kick.:D

How would you rate the 3 sauces you got, taste and heat.

Looking at the 5 minute burn as a bit of a whimp out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The habanero Tabasco sauce is very hot

The habanero Tabasco sauce is very hot

Cheers TiltedBrian

On the Scoville heat scale regular Tabasco scores around 5000 and the Habanero version around 8000.

The 10 minute burn scores 7,300,000 :eek:which is on a different level.

Looking for something in the 250,000+ area I think.:cool:

Cheers TiltedBrian

On the Scoville heat scale regular Tabasco scores around 5000 and the Habanero version around 8000.

The 10 minute burn scores 7,300,000 :eek:which is on a different level.

Looking for something in the 250,000+ area I think.:cool:

I aint recieved the other two sauces just yet but id imagine he aint over doing the affects i mean hes eating a spoon of it ha.

They have a sauce called Heart throb which i got in march. When i first opened it i stuck a toothpick into it and the taste went around my whole mouth very surprised in a good way:D

Start using more and lets just say it deffo adds a fair auld punch to food.

They have a newer batch out thats meant to be twice the heat.

Not all of these sauces taste the best its just bad taste with plenty of heat but heart throb had a nice tomato taste to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Mic's Chilli Sauces are quite good and their Irish! http://www.micschilli.ie/
    They have a good kick and good flavour aswell.

At the moment Im working through some blairs brought home to me from the USA, great sauces!

Martyn1989 wrote: »

At the moment Im working through some blairs brought home to me from the USA, great sauces!

Never even heard of that Irish crowd interesting :). Seen on there site they sell it in place right beside where i live to shall have a look when im home.

The sauces are all mostly based around Habanero chilli which is spicy enough for starters :). Hopefully not to fruity though i didnt enjoy taste of them fresh when i made sauce from them before.

Id deffo recommend chillseeds.co.uk though for anyone interested in an easy straight forward way of getting there hands on some seriously hot sauces etc.....

• Advertisement

Tried their Inferno extreme from JC'S in Swords about a year ago, good for mixing into a brush on Barbie sauce to spice it up.

It is hot, well warm, nice taste but looking for more of the XXX factor.

Which Blair's have you, I was looking at the ultra death sauce, and what do you think?

Tried their Inferno extreme from JC'S in Swords about a year ago, good for mixing into a brush on Barbie sauce to spice it up.

It is hot, well warm, nice taste but looking for more of the XXX factor.

Which Blair's have you, I was looking at the ultra death sauce, and what do you think?

I have this four pack which was given to me as a gift from the USA http://www.hotsaucedepot.com/Blairs-Death-Mini-4-Pack-4x2oz-P97C13.aspx

The Halapeno Death is green, has beautiful flavour and a small bit of heat.
    The Original is a great everyday hotsauce, enough heat but nothing crazy.
    The After Death is very good, I also have a 5oz bottle of this (that says 'with liquid fire' which is very hot).
    The Sudden Death is certainly towards the top end of my tolerance, too much and it catches in the back of your throat a little but the burn only lasts a minute or two and you go back for more, a very sweet chilli aftertaste. Its great when you want something hot!

Just looking up the scoville ratings, Sudden Death is 500,000, Blair's MegaDeath is 550,000, the Ultra Death is 1,100,000!!!!!! Be sure to report back!

If your looking for a quick fix spicey dish a hotter option from Bombay Pantry Indian in Fairview has kicked my ass in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Keep an eye out in TK Maxx cos every now and again they stock some serious hot sauce.
    Picked up a few of these there for very little..... look at the videos... seriously seriously hot stuff

HB

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Keep an eye out in TK Maxx cos every now and again they stock some serious hot sauce.
    Picked up a few of these there for very little..... look at the videos... seriously seriously hot stuff

HB

Thanks hamsterboy

this is the first X hot sauce I have heard of for sale in Ireland, how much was it do you remember?

Will be sending the good lady to TK Max, god help me.:D

HB

Thanks hamsterboy

this is the first X hot sauce I have heard of for sale in Ireland, how much was it do you remember?

Will be sending the good lady to TK Max, god help me.:D
    Think the bottle of Ground Zero was a tenner but because of the amounts you can realistically use you'll have it for years. Have mine over a year and it's still 80% full.
    Another one to look for in there is Pain 100%, not as hot but still bloody hot.
    If you're really lucky you might come across the Da Bomb peanuts, holy crap they're awesome
    TKMAXX Rules

HB

Ive tried one or two of those tx max sauces there ok i wouldnt be very impressed with them. I find theres no lasting heat from most of them cause of how there made. There not great quailty.

Ive tried one or two of those tx max sauces there ok i wouldnt be very impressed with them. I find theres no lasting heat from most of them cause of how there made. There not great quailty.
    Sounds like you need Da Bomb so. Heat lasts forever, as some of my "brave" mates have found out :)

HB

Sounds like you need Da Bomb so. Heat lasts forever, as some of my "brave" mates have found out :)

HB

Had it last night covered a slice of pizza in it :pac:

Hot alright but was gone in couple of minutes.

I got my two sauces in the post yesterday. 10 minute burn is fooking serious ****!!

I dipped a tooth pick into it and licked it **** my whole mouth lit up lol.

Looking forward to trying it in a chilli.

Dropped in to TKMAX to see if they had any of the hot sauces and got a bottle of PYROMANIA made by Hot-Headz.

Cost €3.99 and is only rated 7/10 on the heat scale.

How they trained the cat to sh1t in the bottle I'll never know, it's muck.

Heat wise I'd put it on my corn flakes, " Feel the flames licking around your taste buds" me hole.:rolleyes:

Dropped in to TKMAX to see if they had any of the hot sauces and got a bottle of PYROMANIA made by Hot-Headz.

Cost €3.99 and is only rated 7/10 on the heat scale.

How they trained the cat to sh1t in the bottle I'll never know, it's muck.

Heat wise I'd put it on my corn flakes, " Feel the flames licking around your taste buds" me hole.:rolleyes:

lol well from what ive seen and ive tried a few places if you want nice tasting very hot sauce either check out the site i mentioned or one the american ones. Or figure out recipe.

• Advertisement

lol well from what ive seen and ive tried a few places if you want nice tasting very hot sauce either check out the site i mentioned or one the american ones. Or figure out recipe.

I'm ordering Be dammed, 10 min burn, Naga nuts and Naga chilli power, should have the heat covered.

Good to hear the 10 min burn is the real deal.

Took the plunge and ordered some dried Naga Jolokia there. Dont know what Ill do with them, probably just try to make some hotsauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Took the plunge and ordered some dried Naga Jolokia there. Dont know what Ill do with them, probably just try to make some hotsauce.

Hope you having some breathing apparatus, with that going in your kitchen. Watch some Food Network shows to see what happens when you make Hot Sauce with Ghost Chilies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

+1 to that. I get the Inferno Extreme one and it's delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

You should check out a jar of Mr. Naga. Amazing flavour, you can get it on Moore st.

You should check out a jar of Mr. Naga. Amazing flavour, you can get it on Moore st.

Where abouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Not sure of the name of the shop but it's the first one on the left as you come from Henry st. just after the lane. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

So splashed out on a bottle of Heartthrob (all £7 worth) and some Witches Brew and Beast Hot Sauce - All from The Chilli Pepper Company... Now I need to know, what to actually put them in.
    Obviously Chilli is a winner, and any enchiladas, fajita sauces etc, but what else do you guys add hot sauce to?

So splashed out on a bottle of Heartthrob (all £7 worth) and some Witches Brew and Beast Hot Sauce - All from The Chilli Pepper Company... Now I need to know, what to actually put them in.
    Obviously Chilli is a winner, and any enchiladas, fajita sauces etc, but what else do you guys add hot sauce to?

Tried them on burgers before can actually be nice can be killer as well though ha.

Really anything u wanna try just try its only way u will know :)

• Advertisement

Cheese toasties, sambos, burgers, lasagnes, bolognaise, curries, chillies, nachos, dips like salsas, hummus, guacamole, blue cheese dip. Mix with oil and marinade meat in it or have it on ribs or wings, mix it with some mayo makes a great topping for a baked potato. Heard about one guy who puts it in his porridge :eek:

I try to take it easy but Im tempted to put hotsauce in everything I eat. Its great to add some flavour to stir in pasta sauces or the the odd ready meal. Oh and pizza, loads of hotsauce on pizza :D

Advertisement