Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one direction

Options
  • 25-05-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

at the top of the farrankelly road just before the last round bout on the right hand side i see a 'brown' walk indicator sign ...and there is a wooden style on both sides of the road..but not much in discernable 'paths' ...who is the farmer on the right??does he mind ramblers.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

That is the old mass path to Kilquade Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

recedite wrote: »
    Many people walk up along the Farrankelly Road in the evenings. Why not try a variant with some “off–road” sections?
    Start either of these walks from the point where an old Mass Path right of way linking Delgany/Kilquade/Kilcoole crosses the new Farrankelly Road (point marked by wooden fencing and large brown signs warning “Do not cross here”.

1. The Rock of Kilcoole.
    Go up Farrankelly Rd. on the left hand side and turn in left towards the sea. After a few hundred metres following a stream through woodland, arrive at a ruin. From here the path became overgrown when Wicklow County Council closed public access during the road construction. Since then they have refused to help reinstate it, so bring a secateurs and do your bit of chopping. It is currently necessary to divert along the edge of the wasteland field to the left of the overgrown section for about 100 metres. Back on the path, continue to a steel gate marked “no shooting” where you emerge onto the road near a cemetery. Turn right (downhill) on the road for about 50 metres to a bridge over the stream, and then turn left onto a farm track, keeping the stream on your right. At the end of the track, the right of way continues along the edge of a field to an old walled garden behind the convent in Kilcoole. Follow the path across a footbridge and around the outside of the wall. At the “Foresters Hall” building there is a junction. Go right onto the tarmacadam lane called “Upper Green” which emerges onto Kilcoole main street near Lee’s pub. Crossing the street, go straight down the lane opposite you, past the corner of “the Motor Body Workshop”. The Rock is a viewing point, from where you can survey the sea and the surrounding area. The enticing Copper Kettle coffee shop in the car park of the nearby Tesco is also clearly visible from The Rock. Return back the same way, or make your way down to Kilcoole Beach via the main street and then walk along the seashore/ railway tracks to Greystones. At a steel railway bridge on the seashore, there is a shortcut to Charlesland. Turn onto a small path along the stream between the Golf Course and the Driving Range. At the road, cross the bridge and turn left along a very narrow path. The boundary of the water treatment plant will be on your right and the stream on your left. The path follows the treatment plant boundary to the blind roundabout nearest Charlesland.

2.Drummin & Blackberry Lanes.
    Go up Farrankelly Rd. on the right hand side and turn in right over the stile at a farm track. Don’t make the mistake of going up the track; it’s a dead end. Instead turn in immediately to the left up a barely visible path. It’s a bit overgrown, but its only 20 metres in length. Go through a rusty “kissing gate” into a field. If you are nervous of farm animals, you might want to check what livestock is in the field before proceeding, but usually its only sheep or cattle and rabbits. Walk along the edge of the field to the two gates of the farmyard on the far side. Go through these onto the tarmacadam, and you will find yourself at the end of Drummin Lane. It’s a pleasant quiet lane. After a woodworking workshop, keep left at a fork. The next junction is beside the N11; turn right along the footpath of the Old Wicklow Road. The footpath ends at the next lane; turn right up a steep hill called Blackberry Lane. Keep on straight ahead at a T-Junction (left would go into Delgany village). Soon the tarmacadam ends, but keep going straight down the walled track which was an original part of Blackberry Lane. Emerge at Priory Road, turn right, and walk along the road. Take care with traffic here although there usually are not too many cars, and return to the roundabout at Eden Gate.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65922370
    From May 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

bido wrote: »
    That is the old mass path to Kilquade Church.
    ohh...interesting...i never realised it was a mass path...i have walked parts of it without realising..i actually found a fox den along it a cupla days ago...whom i now feed...and...the same evening found a tiny fossill..so il bring my machete and keep it open as recidite suggests...also probably for the best if the local council keep away from it...seeing as they made a right mess of the cliff walk/harbour ...i.m.o

Advertisement