Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toxic Algae Warning - Keep Dogs out of the Water!

• 25-05-2012 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

A neighbor's dog just died from this today, she was swimming in a lake near a popular dog walking spot here in Sligo called Doorly Park, came home foaming at the mouth and shaking, was taken to the vet and died within a few hours. The vet thinks it is most likely due to toxic algae which grows fast in warm weather especially in stagnant water. Dogs go for a swim or drink and ingest the poison which makes a dog very sick very fast. I was lucky my own dog didn't get sick as they were playing together but my dog doesn't like to go in water.

Even running water can have stagnant areas so while we are having this little heatwave keep your furry friends out of the water!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Oh my god. I was down there today with my dog and he was in swimming. He seems to be ok but I will keep an eye on him. Thanks for letting me know. The amount of dogs that were there today swimming and playing in the water. I hope there's not more people effected. At one stage, there was five dogs running in and out of the water with Hershey. Your poor neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

glad to know your dog is okay. it was the black lab/collie mix named Holly that died, she was lovely and the owners are devastated.
    i had never heard of algae poisoning but a quick search came up with loads of articles.

No never heard of it either. :eek: Did Holly live down by the river? If so she was indeed a lovely dog. We were playin with a dog called Holly just like that yesterday. Her and Hershey were playin away in the water. :( Really feel for the family, there was a young girl down there with her. If its them, I hope shes ok. :(:(

Heard that there is now two dogs dead and 4 got sick with it yesterday. :(:( Water was tested today to see what was causing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The poor dogs and owners!! :( In Dublin but thanks OP for posting this - I'm going to be more careful where I let my guy swim!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Is this lough gill? Is that not sligo's drinking water supply? Thanks for posting it, don't think I know anyone with dogs who walks there but I'l keep it in mind. Have there been any warnings on ocean fm?

Ya it's down by Doorly park in town. I know where it happened to Holly was at the river before you got nearly the actual lake. Huge amount of dogs go swimming and walking there every day. People in swimming there now aswell in the good weather. Haven't heard anything on Ocean fm but some signs have been put up down there now. I went down today and told as many people as I could, and I know that other people in the area have done the same. It's very sad for all involved. I was talking to the girl today who's dog it was and they are devasted. It happened just after they got back in from playing with my Hershey. They only had Holly a year and a half and she will be missed by them all. :(
    Funnily enough, there was an article in the Champion back in march about the anglers saying that the water quality has gotten worse. Hopefully, it will not become a major issue.

Advertisement