Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber on UPC?

Options
  • 25-05-2012 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hi - Has anyone had any success with viber on UPC? I can make a call - but the call quality goes from excellent, to poor in a matter of 2 seconds and the call ends. I've opened all the correct ports on my router as per Viber's instructions. Is UPC throttling the service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How do you mean You opened ports? Did you forward them to the local IP of your Apple/Android device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    How do you mean You opened ports? Did you forward them to the local IP of your Apple/Android device.

Yes. It's nothing to do with my router. MY router is configured correctly.

Have you tried it on another connection?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Have you tried it on another connection?

Nope - Don't have one at hand.

That'd be the place to start, try another connection or tether 3G to confirm it works. What device are you using?

• Advertisement

HTC Hero.

I see here it was listed as a problematic device: http://www.viberfaq.com/what-devices-are-not-supported/

Did You try it on 3G?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

Hi,

This is an official Viber representative.

HTC Hero is not a tested device therefore will not be able to provide support for such device.
    Here is a list of our Android based compatible devices:
    http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/45/10/is-your-android-compatible-with-viber-system-requirements .

If your home wireless connection with UPC is steady then you should be able to connect with Viber on a compatible device from the list above.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Follow our Facebook and Twitter pages for updates.

Thanks,
    Viber team

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Where can I find technical info about Viber?
    I have searched the website and found nothing ......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

http://www.viberfaq.com/why-cant-i-use-viber-on-some-wi-fi-networks/

I use a HTC Desire and have no issues using Viber over UPC.

• Advertisement

Checked it on a friend's connection - must be the HTC Hero because same thing happened there.

kippy wrote: »
    http://www.viberfaq.com/why-cant-i-use-viber-on-some-wi-fi-networks/

I use a HTC Desire and have no issues using Viber over UPC.

I was looking for a link to info about what communications protocol and codec they use and info of that nature.

Thanks.

I apologize for my late response.
    Technical info (and support) can be found on our official HelpDesk at http://helpme.viber.com

There you can find user-guides, Q&A's and system requirement info :)
    Of course, for any other question, feel free to contact me here at any time.

Meanwhile, please note that it could be that the network you are connected to is blocking Viber's traffic.

1. First, please try uninstalling and reinstalling Viber when connected to different a few WiFi networks. Does it work now?
    2. Also, please make sure the following ports are enabled on your routers or firewalls:
    TCP: 5242 + 4244
    UDP: 5243 + 9785

(if you are not sure how to enable ports, contact your router manufacturer)

As mentioned in a previous post I had already checked the website and found nothing about the technical aspects of the communications.

If you have a link to such information I would appreciate it, thank you.

As mentioned in a previous post I had already checked the website and found nothing about the technical aspects of the communications.

If you have a link to such information I would appreciate it, thank you.

What info specifically are you looking for?
    Some information is not (or at least not yet) published, like the specific audio technology and codecs we use. It simply hasn't been disclosed yet in details.

We can tell you that we're using a proprietary HD codec at the moment, and work is continuously being done on it to improve its quality and low-bandwidth handling :)

Viber wrote: »
    Some information is not (or at least not yet) published, like the specific audio technology and codecs we use. It simply hasn't been disclosed yet in details.

We can tell you that we're using a proprietary HD codec at the moment, and work is continuously being done on it to improve its quality and low-bandwidth handling :)

Yes I was searching for such as codec/s used and what transmission protocol is in use.

Thank you for the info about the codec.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SimonMcCann

just curious, I find that viber is great for sending instant messages and I really like the way that it notifies you when someone from your list of contacts joins Viber but on an IPhone using the O2 network I found the call quality to be so poor it was pratically unusable, am I the only one?

just curious, I find that viber is great for sending instant messages and I really like the way that it notifies you when someone from your list of contacts joins Viber but on an IPhone using the O2 network I found the call quality to be so poor it was pratically unusable, am I the only one?

Hi,
    Allow me to explain what could cause the quality issues during Viber calls:

Sometimes 3G reception could be low, and this is something we cannot control. Naturally this affects Viber's call quality and results in disruptions and broken sound.
    We are continuously trying to improve our handling of 3G, so you can expect better performance as newer versions of Viber are released.

Please note that having full 3G reception doesn't mean your internet's bandwidth is at the maximum expected. When you see a "full reception bar", it merely means that physically, your phone is covered with the cellular signal.

When it comes to the bandwidth itself, your connection could still be slow due to various different reasons, such as being in an area with many other users from the same provider, thus congesting the network.

Meanwhile, WiFi- WiFi calls on Viber sound generally clear and are free of such disruptions.

Viber wrote: »

Apologies to mods for resurrecting this thread, but the purpose is to follow up on the quote above.

I wish to know if Viber have released any of the information I asked about, or intend to ever release this information.

Hopefully the Viber rep will be notified of this post and will respond.

Advertisement