Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers' Cheques

Options
  • 25-05-2012 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Folk,

So my girlfriend brought Travellers' Cheques from the US and obviously wants to cash them but no where we've tried is accepting them. We went to Bank of Ireland, AIB, Ulster, the Post Office and the Credit Union and no accept them. AIB was the last of that batch to stop taking them (March 30th).

Does anyone know where we could cash them or what we should do?

Cheers,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Hi Folk,

So my girlfriend brought Travellers' Cheques from the US and obviously wants to cash them but no where we've tried is accepting them. We went to Bank of Ireland, AIB, Ulster, the Post Office and the Credit Union and no accept them. AIB was the last of that batch to stop taking them (March 30th).

Does anyone know where we could cash them or what we should do?

Cheers,

Mark

Did you try the currency exchange (used to be First Rate BOI) - there is one in the Square Tallaght and also adjacent to Bank of Ireland College Green (facing Trinity College).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Surprised they're so difficult to cash. I know that a lot of banks have stopped issuing them. I'm pretty sure the main banks will still cash them for customers.

Maybe an American Express or Thomas Cook outlet here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If they are denominated in US$, there is a possibility that if you find somebody to exchange them, it will be at a punitive rate.

If she or you can fund her visit by other methods, the best deal might be for her to return them to the issuing bank in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gilligan.Mark

Thanks for the replies guys. Finally found a place, and it was where her holiday began. Shannon Airport and we got them cashed there with absolutely no bother. In fact, she was really surprised at how easy it was. Got a really good rate also, nothing out of the ordinary and no fees.

So by the looks of it, the only place that will cash them now, is Bureau de Change in the airports.

Advertisement